Microsoft Reveals Project Scorpo Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

elho_cid

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
As with the regular XB1, you can most likely choose to install on an external drive, which can be an SSD. It will cut the loading times considerably, but I don't find it worth the price.

Jim90

Distinguished
Would be interesting to see what gfx fx/eye candy would be enabled for their 4k 'raised' fps gaming claim.
Considering the cost of a 1080ti then all the other PC components and we still can't guarantee 4k with maxed fx. Then again, what do we mean by maxed fx...are some excessive/not relevant/not noticed/bragging rights only?

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
It's actually hard to say how much an SSD would raise the price, since the economies of consoles are weird and essentially subsidized by game sales.

It is difficult to see how it would add value to game developers. Now, if NVMe ever reaches price-parity with conventional SSD's, and could swap at a rate that might lower physical memory requirements while reducing game loading times (the bane of many console games versus PC's....ask anyone who's played Fallout or Skyrim), then there would be a reason that would even translate into better in-game graphics.

Jim90

Distinguished
Have a look at 'real-world' benchmarks for NVMe SSD's - not the artificial (high QD) ones that take up most reviewers benchmarks. You might be a little surprised at QD1-2 (i.e. real world throughput) ...not the game changer, just yet.
But yes, a standard SATA SSD would be a significant change from an HDD, of course. Problem here would be determining SSD size vs number of gamed that could be held vs cost.

LeeRains

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
I don't think adding a 256GB SSD/1TB HDD drive would cost that much more.

It'd give Microsoft one more box to check, it'd speed up loading dramatically, and WTF are we still using spinning magnetic discs for primary storage anyway?

A 4K game system that doesn't use flash memory sounds like buying a Prius without airbags.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
For the past two generations, MS has had a thing for fast, in-package memory. So, color me a little surprised this thing doesn't involve any HBM2. I'd have thought they'd be chomping at the bit, for it. I guess it's still too expensive...

Corey Carroz

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
HDD need to die. PS4 has some crazy long load times... Some games feel like up to 2 minutes. Add bigger Textures and 4 more GB of RAM.... o_O ..... those load times could grow up to 50%.... I would be happy with a 256 GB SSD option then could use a external drive for anything else that I want to put on there.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
The way I look at it is that if the developers have to optimize I/O so that HDD isn't too bad for anyone to play their game, then it'll really scream when I upgrade it to a SSD.

alextheblue

Distinguished
"It needs an SSD. lulz."
"Why is it so expensive? Get a PS4 Pro instead it's cheaper. lulz."
^^^ Examples of why you can never please people on the internet no matter what you do.

128GB... yeah how many installs of the latest Doom is that, again? Trollolololol

Funny you should mention 50% load time...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-back-compat-five-ways-your-existing-games-will-be-better

"The second one is that we've that we've improved the hard disk speed," Goossen adds. "We're actually promising developers a 50 per cent improvement in overall bandwidth for the purposes of driving 4K textures, but this also helps us in this situation where you're running existing Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles. They will also benefit from the faster hard disk."

Also, most average gamers would be pissed if their new console installed 2 new games and ran out of space. 256GB is not enough. I would like to see them release higher-end models with an SSD or large SSD cache, but in general I don't fault them for going with a 1TB+ HDD for large game installs. As mentioned, the HDD is considerably faster than before. If you want more speed, plug in an external SSD and stick games on that.

john vitz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Then tell me why pc's hdd load so much faster. Even the dreaded gtr 2 on pc with a million mods loads faster then forza and does not feel as clunky with all the jaggies forza has

john vitz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Given evidence the same games on pc load faster may have nothing too do with the hdd unless it is 5200 rpm. It is interface as well and UI and so on but in the long run if you are loading from a disk it is even slower. Pc master race to the rescue

john vitz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Last but not least i think there would have been no problem having backwards compatibility if they used a ryzen/vega chip you know let's cut the bull and just make forza a true sim racer and i will be free to do as i please as long as mod support is added

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
not as much of a performance difference compared to ps4 pro as I'd want in a next generation. I'm thinking we want hybrid cpu with 2 or so highly clocked cores(4-5Ghz range) and a dozen or so additional weak cores for different things like networking, AI, physics. Maybe see if they can get some of that xpoint memory as cache memory to pair with HDD. Have common games preload data onto the xpoint memory for access and then on launching the game start streaming more data to xpoint memory or RAM. I want to seem some better shit than just a few Mhz more speeds, a bit more ram. I mean we got 4GHz cores out that can be OC'd to 5GHz and the consoles are still running under 3? preeeeety weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.