Microsoft Reveals Seven Editions Of Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max_B

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
It's a Joke ... SEVEN edition of Win 10 .....I prefer win Seven ..... 4 edition are enough .. 1 for phones/tablet 1 for home 1 for Pro 1 for Ultimate ed.

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

That is one of the ways how MS is trying to keep the people upgrading.

But this time upgrade is for free, which means DX12 in all its glory will be available to anyone at zero cost. Interesting strategy and my kudos to MS for it, DX12 will have a massive adoption.

The flaw in this is that people still don't want their desktop to act/look like a tablet. Microsoft just isn't listening to the public.

USAFRet

Titan

Please describe what is 'less secure'.

Windows 10 doesn't act like a tablet anymore though.

USAFRet

Titan

Neither does 8.1...:)

You mean the very small gaming market that doesn't even make up the majority?

Can people not read? All the versions of Windows will have the same level of security. The differences will be in how the systems can network, how the security is handled on a network and probably items like bitlocker (which almost no home user needs or uses).

As well, Windows 10 is a free upgrade and if you have a Pro version, then you probably will get 10 Pro as well.

As for "leaner" Windows 8/8.1 uses less resources than 7 does. That says leaner to me. Just because it has features does not mean it will be more bloated. A lot of the features don't even run until you tell them to.

Also, 7 had more than 4 versions. It actually had 6 main editions:

Starter
Home Basic
Home Premium
Professional
Enterprise
Ultimate

Then there were the special versions for Europe (they are special after all):
N
KN
VL

Then we could add in WPM 7 which would put 7 main versions with 3 specialized versions.

8 on the other hand had only 4 main editions:

8 Pro
8 Enterprise
8 RT

Then they had the European "N" edition and of course Windows Phone 8.

I don't know where people get 4 editions of 7 from.....

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
So you don't like those Metro Apps?

Run the following command in powershell:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage

One command and all those metro apps gone.

Great for laptops that have low power CPUs and no touch screens anyway like the popular ASUS X205TA .

Easy change is to right click the task bar and click 'properties' then click navigation'
there you can turn off the charm bar and have Windows go to the desktop on login.

To get a real 'start' button get Classic Shell for free. Do donate of course.
http://www.classicshell.net/

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
I still find quite amusing people whining about windows looking like a Tablet. Dude, get over with it, Win8.1 corrected the thing, the only thing it lacked was to bring the old Start Menu back (blame MS for being so damn stubborn). If you don't want to use the Modern Apps, no one will force you. I totally hate using it in my desktop, but MS listened to me and you will be able to use it as a regular windowed app in win10 (WHY DIDN'T YOU INTRODUCE THIS IN WIN8.1 MS??).

A new stylish Start Menu is back with the exact same functions as in Win7 (plus way more things, which no one will force you to use) and being a big fan of hybrid Laptop/Tablet (such as surface), I love the fact that Win10 will be able to auto-adapt/adjust to the mode you're using.

Btw, Win 7 ultimate is the same thing as Win7 Enterprise, but Ultimate is available for the consumer market, where Enterprise needs a MS Open/MSDN/Enterprise license to be purchased (if I'm not mistaken, minimum of 5 licenses is needed)

JediWombat

Honorable
May 13, 2015

If anybody paid for Ultimate without researching what it included that the lesser versions didn't, that is nobody's fault but their own. Who buys something before knowing what it is? That's just stupid.

Anyway, what they did or didn't include with Windows 7 is irrelevant in a discussion of the versions of Windows 10. My question stands: why is there no version that includes both good cloud support, and good security? It's seems ludicrous to me that the version that includes extra tools for putting content on the internet, has less security than another version. Surely, the more you interact with online services, the more important good security is.

xHopesFall

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2011

There is. Pro. Read again. "Aside from better security and the ability to manage multiple devices and apps, Windows 10 Pro has a heavy focus on cloud technology"

I just want DX12 on win7...
DOnt get me wrong, Id pay them the price of the WIndows10 cheapest version to get DX12 on WIn7, its just that I dont want t have to troubleshoot all my games and programs because the compatibility mode is in reality "troll mode".

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
DOnt get me wrong, Id pay them the price of the WIndows10 cheapest version to get DX12 on WIn7, its just that I dont want t have to troubleshoot all my games and programs because the compatibility mode is in reality "troll mode".

Dude are you still running legacy MSDOS apps and Lucas Arts games? Unless you're Enterprise, where poor devs hard code shit with junk Java code, there isn't literally nothing you run on Win7 that can't be ported to Win8 and most probably Win10. I guess no one around here is running any SAP client or Juniper Remote client VPN (or something similar) to be afraid to upgrade their OS.

Your dreams of DX12 running on Win7 will never be fulfilled. MS already said that would not be possible to port it on any other OS as DX12 has just too much code that was built from the ground up to run side by side with Win10. That's why they offering a free upgrade, to stop people from trolling, bitching and whining :) (but hey, not the end of the world, DX11 will still be around for Win7 and games will surely keep supporting it).

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012

Dude are you still running legacy MSDOS apps and Lucas Arts games? Unless you're Enterprise, where poor devs hard code shit with junk Java code, there isn't literally nothing you run on Win7 that can't be ported to Win8 and most probably Win10. I guess no one around here is running any SAP client or Juniper Remote client VPN (or something similar) to be afraid to upgrade their OS.

Your dreams of DX12 running on Win7 will never be fulfilled. MS already said that would not be possible to port it on any other OS as DX12 has just too much code that was built from the ground up to run side by side with Win10. That's why they offering a free upgrade, to stop people from trolling, bitching and whining :) (but hey, not the end of the world, DX11 will still be around for Win7 and games will surely keep supporting it).

marck1001

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Does Windows 8 and newer have the same RAM limitation that Windows 7 Home had?

I suggest you to read the following MS article to find your answer:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

I couldn't find it on MS's website for Win10, but found the following on their forums stated by a MS employee:

32-Bits

Windows 10. 4GB

64-Bits

Windows 10. 128 GB

Windows 10 Professional. 512 GB

Windows 10 Enterprise. 512 GB

(search the web to find why 32-bit systems don't support more than 4gb of RAM)

Try hitting the windows key once in 8.1 or 10 and see how it doesn't act like a tablet. Sure looks like tablet crap to me.

Even at 128GB I doubt we will run into a physical limitation or even need 128GB by the time that goes up. Hell 128GB is only viable on a X99 system with 8 16GB DIMMs and right now that ain't gonna be cheap. There is one 32GB kit with 2 16GB DDR3 DIMMs for $400 so $1600 for 128GB?

And for most things, 16GB is enough and 32GB is overkill.

In Windows 10, the apps all run in windowed mode. Tablets don't, all apps run in full screen. There is a Start Menu again. Sure it isn't the old, archaic and outdated version but it is there and from what I have read, you can customize it and probably remove the metro apps from it.

I think you really need to take a hard look at a tablet again because I have been using Windows 8 since release and short of Metro, it feels like a desktop PC to me. Just because it doesn't look like 7 or have the useless features (yes I consider the Start Menu useless) doesn't make it a tablet OS. A tablet OS couldn't do half of what Windows does.

urbanman2004

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
I just want the best version, forget the rest, whether it's called Professional, Ultimate, or Pro. Hope Win 10 doesnt become the trainwreck that Win 8 was even though v8.1 redeemed itself to an extent

That's specifically because they don't want people complaining about bugs not being fixed because they aren't running the latest updates and will be a thing that only the technical preview does.

The technical preview isn't meant to be a free OS.

Of course it's not meant to be a free OS, I'm just smart enough to realize I can use it as that. It has all the features of Windows and besides that has been issue-free for me. I really don't get why people always say you shouldn't run it as a primary OS. It's free, works perfectly, and is legal. The people who do run it as a primary OS say that it's fine while those who have never tried it out always say not to. So, you can't judge something before you've tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.