Microsoft Reveals Seven Editions Of Windows 10

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

USAFRet

Titan

No, it does not work 'perfectly'. There have been small issues as new featured are rolled into the current release.
And as you have seen, you get rebooted and kicked out whenever it feels like it.

You want stable? Don't run TechPreview/beta software.

The people who do run it as a primary OS say that it's fine while those who have never tried it out always say not to.
I have Win 10 on a secondary laptop. I would not run it as my primary OS on my main PC.

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
This seems to be lacking an 'Ultimate' edition that just has everything from all the other versions. I thought that was a good thing with Win 7.

USAFRet

Titan

For 99% of people reading this, Ultimate 7 had zero difference over Pro 7, other than 30+ extra languages.
Far too many people hang on to the word 'Ultimate', thinking it performs better. It does not.

Free for one year.... , then after everyone jumps, to continue using you will pay $xx a year.

USAFRet

Titan

Nope. After you upgrade, it works forever.
Unless, of course, you have some other info.

Seen dozens or articles...but this one topped yahoo search just now ... most everyone is speculating....even tho there has been some announcements, I'm not taking anything as official until there's a formal something or other as opposed to a we asked this guy and he said blah blah blah. I was being a bit tongue and cheek about the subscription thing as that would lead to a world revolt :) but I have my doubts about what or how long things will be free (see below)

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-10-release-date-price-news-and-features-1029245

Cut to the chase

What is it? A complete update for Windows
When is it out? Definitely summer, but likely late July 2015
What will it cost? For Windows 7 and 8.1 users, it will be free for one year

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-much-would-a-windows-10-subscription-cost/

Windows 10 subscription pricing?

Microsoft has yet to reveal the pricing structure for Windows 10, but all the speculation out there seems to point to something completely different from the way that Microsoft has sold Windows in the past.

For Windows 7 and 8.1 users, Windows 10 will be free for one year. After that period – not to mention for standalone copies of the OS – the asking price is still a mystery.

I kinda got the impression from the 1st few times I read about it that "it was free for a year".... after that might be subscription or pay something at the end of a year. No one was saying anything "official". In more recent articles, and after some hard, sometimes even angry, questioning by the press there were statements that subscription was off the table. I did see one article where someone said free for all those who upgrade within the year as if ya wait a year and a day, ya gotta pay.

Apple could afford to give away the OS for free as they sell the hardware. MS has no such luxury; it only has the OS to sell so how they gonna make money ? Off Win 10 compatible versions of Office ?

But MS also announced that Windows 10 will be the last version of Windows.... ans here's the part I am talking about.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/05/08/microsoft-windows-10-last-windows/

The Internet woke up to a shock this morning. Microsoft MSFT has used its Ignite 2015 conference to declare Windows 10 will be “the last version of Windows” . The reaction has been predictably alarmist, but what exactly does it mean and is this really the end for Windows as we know it?

I don't wanna quote the entire article but one more paragraph as well as the closing line bears repeating:

“Windows will be delivered as a service bringing new innovations and updates in an ongoing manner, with continuous value for our consumer and business customers" explained Microsoft in its full statement

So 1) **if** Windows 10 is free .... 2) Windows 10 is the last version ..... 3) Windows 10 is a "service" .....how will we pay for that service ? The closing line I think is the best answer.

So how will Microsoft decide where to draw the line with ‘free’? It is highly unlikely that those who move to Windows 10 within the first year will not be charged for a Windows update, upgrade or major new feature ever again.

Personally I think Microsoft will have a fixed point in mind, perhaps much like Apple does when it draws the line on which devices will get the next major version of iOS. In other words: the software is free until it’s not… so cross your fingers!

The free Windows 10 is the "bait" to get everyone off 7 and 8 so that we don't go on running 7 and 8 for another dozen years. When we bought XP, MS got stuck with 13 extra years of support from which they drew no income. So like the drug dealer who recruits customers by giving away stuff for free, he knows he will earn it back in the long run.

So that's where I'm going.... Windows 10 will be free until such time as it's not. Since you didn't "buy it", the customer has no recourse to complain or try and obtain recompense thru the courts. What are they going to claim as damages ? If the court orders MS to refund the cost of Windows 10 because they didn't know support would end on such and such a date ..... they get back exactly what the paid.... nothing.

And how many *would* go back ?..... we'll get Windows 10 thru Windows Update. How many are gonna wanna wipe their drives to install their old still valid Win 7 / 8 licenses ? How many will be able to find / locate the install media ?

USAFRet

Titan

From your first link:
"Microsoft's chief blogger Brandon LeBlanc also confirmed that Microsoft will support those who scored a free upgrade to Windows 10 with security and system updates for the lifetime of those Windows devices."

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
We need:

* Full list of feature differences, and what the newer "security" is capable of. Saying "security" several times without explanation does not fill me with confidence.

* Pricing.
Agreed. More specifics necessary on what the differences in security is between the Home edition and the Education edition.
As to pricing, if they decrease the home editions cost to 100-150 dollars, I'd be a happy camper.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Why? On the Home editions, the vast majority of the time from what I have seen there are no problems with updates. Nil, zero, zip.

Already overloaded with bloat? Excuse me but most of the 'bloat' in Windows of all stripes comes from drivers, drivers, and more drivers. The actual OS itself is about 8GB's.... not what I call 'bloated' in the slightest with 256 GB SSD's for 100 dollars being available.

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
So Education is a paid upgrade, but Home is a free upgrade, and then it's free from Home to Education? That makes sense to someone apparently.

The difference is that schools and universities can get sued for letting their student's personal information get leaked, dumb teenagers at home leaking their own personal information isn't sue-able.

G

"There will not be any more versions of Windows. Here's seven new versions." -Microsoft

Collect them all!

Status
Not open for further replies.