Microsoft Reveals the Next Generation of Xbox: Xbox One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
This is an amazing DVR, I heard it might even be able to play games. Also, new CoD, look how realistic we made the dogs! Don't run out of baggy items and remember the leash laws! Hey, XBox fans, is there anything for this that is actually original and not just concepts from the Wii U (TV Guide) or PS4 (Uploading playthroughs). They didn't even cover Illumiroom or whatever. Microsoft used to innovate or at least sneak their way into other people's innovations. We miss you Bill.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I think it looks pretty good. Nice and simple, doesn't have that look-at-me design. Honestly though, the only thing I want to know is if it is loud as hell.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i like the 80's look actually. it's even more welcoming that it looks stackable on something else, isn't douchey like the ps3
top-end receivers all look blocky, but they all kick ass, so its welcome.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
I wonder if the motherboard uses UEFI. Would be interesting if Ubuntu was installed on it and it turns out to be usable as a Steam Box hahaha.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm very disappointed with the new XBox. There isn't enough focus on games and having fun playing games. All this hardware, media, voice, Kinect, and other stuff is neat, but I buy a game console to play games. I want to see new experiences, not just the same stuff as last time with a different number on the end! We need an evolution in gaming software to make these new consoles really appealing. The same old predictable FPS games with more polygons and higher resolution textures just don't cut it anymore.

dietrich1

Honorable
May 16, 2013
i like the black. but i'm sorry, the ORIGINAL black xbox is considered Xbox One (to me.)
stupid name. the look is fine, just looks like an average media center case you can get on newegg. glad it doesn't look like a spaceship. now make us good games. *cracks whip*

joescalon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Can't believe people are complaining about these new features in the xbox1. Everyone saying the xbox is not about games anymore....they are making the hardware, with an interface, not the games. It will be up to the devs to utilize this and bring games into the new generation.

melvis72

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
News Flash, MS releases a PC and calls it Xbox One.... Oh wait I make the same joke about the Sony PS4. Well as of now I don't see either system worth buying at this point, most systems as of late has had poor launch titles and nothing screams take my money. I think it will be best to wait and let the game titles build up first to see what is worth while. I really think the gaming industry needs some fresh games, there have been too much of a flood of wash, rinse and repeat going on and it boring and killing gaming.

"Xbox One is capable of switching from live TV, to gaming, to movies, to music and browsing with just voice commands. Not only that, but you can Snap secondary applications to the right-hand side of the screen while you're watching a movie. This means you can browse the web or watch movie trailers while watching a movie via Xbox Live."
WOW! Just like what my MCPC has been doing flawlessly since 2005!

G

So basically the size of the old one with over a year old pc parts thrown in and the fanboys will make out like its a PC and PS4 beater...

largg

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012

So would I. I have skimmed over several articles and can't find one that says it will record TV shows.

This is a deal breaker for me, I loved my TiVo until Comcast switched over to pure digital and rendered my TiVo useless.

I have Uverse now and don't like it. I programmed it to record my NBA team and it will miss a recording if the game is being carried by a different network, like during the playoffs when games may bounce between TNT, ABC and ESPN.

Not necessarily. Games are still going to be coded differently to some extent, and the developers can still be as lazy as they want on the PC.

arson94

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

My kids just have to worry about an ass whoopin' if they do that...

for most of you disappointed in the new xbox for lack of games, please keep in mind that E3 is some 19 days away and they were obviously holding back some cards for that show. This reveal was not about games, yet they made mention of 15 in-house titles (8 of which are new IP which seems interesting), EA sports mentioned 5 titles, and after the talk there have been tons of announcements of upcoming games that will be released. So don't worry, the games are coming, and I think that E3 this year will be pretty neat.
All that said, I think that MS has missed the boat in a big way. What do I need an xbox for exactly? I own 5 consoles in my house. Not a single one is hooked up to the TV, and none of them have even turned on in the last 2 years!
Why? As it turns out, there are a lot of little reasons, but the overwhelming reason is simple: consoles have become redundant.
Have we learned nothing about the cell phone revolution? My house use to be cluttered with a bunch of nearly useless single-purpose devices. Then I got a smartphone, and now everything from the simple MP3 player, to my GPS in the car has been replaced entirely by a device that fits in my pocket. Even my laptop has almost been replaced, and I fully expect my next phone in 1.5 years to replace that the rest of the way (all it needs is a docking feature).
Meanwhile, a similar revolution has happened in the living room. The living room use to have a bunch of consoles, controllers, cartridges and discs, movies of various formats, and a host of additional proprietary controllers (guitars, drumsets, etc). I have never had cable or satellite, but many homes have that as well. Now my living room has a TV and a couch. All of my media is on my PC in the basement with no need to swap out discs or other physical media. For day to day use my phone has an app which I use as my keyboard and mouse, but if I need a keyboard, mouse, or controller I can get one easily. All of my software is on it for work and play. I have a full browser with flash and java support. I have access to all of my files. It is simple, there is very little clutter, and it works very well.
So maybe it is just me, but wouldn't it make more sense to add xbox functionality to my computer rather than making a device that is almost a clone of my PC, except that it does not work as a PC?
Or put another way: Would MS make more money selling consoles that they loose money on? Or by selling controllers, kinnect units, xbox live gold subscriptions, and making next gen games only available on the win8 app store?
All that MS has to do is fix the WEI and attach a WEI requirement per game. Only play casual games? here is a tablet with a WEI of 4 which is more than capable of it. Want to play any game at an acceptable 30fps 720p level? Here is a laptop or desktop with a WEI of 7. Want to play at 4K with AA and AF enabled? Well here is a system with a WEI of 1000.
Oh no! did your PC/console/tablet/phone die on you? Maybe you should contact ASUS/Dell/HP/Nokia for support on that because we only provide the network and distribution platform for games/music/movies/TV.
It gives MS less responsibility on hardware, it would push subscription services and win8 sales, and it would go a long way to fixing stagnated PC sales, while opening up gaming to a much broader market. Doesn't this make more sense than selling a PC that is not a PC?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
its a bit on the bulky side, but it looks cool. would look quite good under the tv as opposed to the 360. a bit dissapointed that they are keeping the xbox live subscription model. live tv seems to be the only thing they have over Sonys online model. the 15 xbox exclusives this year seems a bit misleading though. it doesnt necessarily mean 15 xbox one exclusives. interested in seeing upcoming news and what exclusives are coming.

the naming is gonna cause problems. kid says, "Mom, Dad, can you get me an XBox ONE for christmas? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE." comes christmas and kid gets an XBox 1(original). yep, problems may be seen ahead.

caponewgp86

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Honestly I cant imagine Ps4 being able to compete with this. I just watched about 20 minutes of the video Microsoft released for the launch and everything he showed that console doing is amazing. Voice commands hand gestures being able to communicate with my cell phone. I mean u can be gaming and browsing the internet at the same time. It looks like they finally reached the potential of Kinect that is going to take the console above and beyond anything that playstation can do. Even with PS Move.

Status
Not open for further replies.