Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Back when I was doing internet support:

"Ok how long is the cable between the modem and the phone socket?"

"I dont know, a few years".

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]moomooman[/nom]Back when I was doing internet support:"Ok how long is the cable between the modem and the phone socket?""I dont know, a few years".[/citation]

My sister once called me to ask where the on button was because she couldn't find it.

verenos

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
After this one i actually just took the rest of the day off! -

Five years ago I was working for an electronics store as in store tech support. I received a call on a Monday morning from a frantic woman who just purchased a notebook from us about a month before. She was in a state of panic and after about 10 min of calming her down I was able to find out what she was so worried about. She asked me over the phone if the computer virus that her computer has will infect her other family members! After another 10 to 15 min I was able to understand what all the panic was about, when a screen came up the she was infected and not taking action could cause other infections she had locked herself in the room and would not allow her family in. This happened on a Sunday night at about 10 pm so she slept in the room and waited for out store to open because she assumed we were the only people that she could ask about the computer. After another half hour of assuring her that it would not hurt her family she let them in and returned the computer.

nimbus77

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
First time on the phone with a customer who was able to bring up a web page I had asked them to go to a web site to test their internet connectivity. I said "Open up your internet explorer and type in www.tomshardware.com" Their response was "I don't see a web page!!! the internet is not working!!!" I asked them to spell the everything on the address bar and they would angrily spell "wwwdottomshardwaredotcom"

dephiance

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
[citation][nom]verenos[/nom]After this one i actually just took the rest of the day off! -Five years ago I was working for an electronics store as in store tech support. I received a call on a Monday morning from a frantic woman who just purchased a notebook from us about a month before. She was in a state of panic and after about 10 min of calming her down I was able to find out what she was so worried about. She asked me over the phone if the computer virus that her computer has will infect her other family members! After another 10 to 15 min I was able to understand what all the panic was about, when a screen came up the she was infected and not taking action could cause other infections she had locked herself in the room and would not allow her family in. This happened on a Sunday night at about 10 pm so she slept in the room and waited for out store to open because she assumed we were the only people that she could ask about the computer. After another half hour of assuring her that it would not hurt her family she let them in and returned the computer.[/citation]

You need to post that on the site man....

zaam

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2009
This brings back old memories of when I worked in tech support. Everyday when I thought people couldn't get any dumber, I was always proven wrong.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
I once had a customer call because his cup holder (CD-ROM drive) was broken. True story. I heard this story many times before, but I believed it was just a myth. I mean, people can't be that dumb, right? I almost wet my pants (while struggling to stay professionnal) when I got that call.

@combat88 : Wow, a website that shares similarities with another website? Impossible! Take your antisemitic comments elsewhere.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
CD-ROM drive != cup holder. Nuff said.

(No, I've never known anyone to actually do this, but I'm sure some of the stories are true).

My uncle was firmly convinced however, that the McAfee software which came pre-installed on his PC was a virus he got from browsing the internet because it kept popping up warning messages at him, and he wanted me to remove it. It took at least 30 minutes to explain that, no, that software is protecting you from viruses.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]gsacks[/nom]CD-ROM drive != cup holder. Nuff said.(No, I've never known anyone to actually do this, but I'm sure some of the stories are true).My uncle was firmly convinced however, that the McAfee software which came pre-installed on his PC was a virus he got from browsing the internet because it kept popping up warning messages at him, and he wanted me to remove it. It took at least 30 minutes to explain that, no, that software is protecting you from viruses.[/citation]
I would side with him that McAfee was a virus myself :p

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I did 2 and a half years as remote tech support... do you have any idea how many tales I would have?
How many my coworkers could bring up to?

There is one thing that comes from my workplace... every "funny story" you hear about tech support is always half true... the other half we're covering it so that there's still room for hope for humanity

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I met a guy with MCSE and was raising a family who couldn't even figure out what port on the back of a modem goes to the wall socket in a house. Who hires these incompetant people?

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
gsacks
CD-ROM drive != cup holder.

It's a true story... I even hear someone running in her house "Open the windows" (talking about IE) and I waiting on the phone...

At this point, you don't know if you need to smile or just cry...

brad799

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
End user is creating a DVD slide show. Hard copy photos have been submitted to her for scanning but now some have been emailed in. She asks me what the best settings for printing are that will work best when she goes to scan them. I just looked at her like a dog with its head tilted to one side...

adaman2576

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I was trying to help my mom over the phone one day because she was trying to type something up. She was getting very aggrivated. Long story short I asked her what "was in the open window" and she yelled back "THERE ARE NO WINDOWS, I'M IN THE BASEMENT". Then she hung up on me. After I was finished laughing I made the hour drive to appologise and help her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.