Microsoft Reveals Xbox One X Project Scorpio Edition, New Xbox One S Bundle At Gamescom

Status
Not open for further replies.

rush21hit

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Say what you want about consoles or the people who bought them. The price and gaming experience they offer is quite attractive for many people. Mention to these same people that they can have better experience by build a gaming PC instead, they'd still go to console to avoid the hassle.
No compatibility issues, simple and clear GUI, maintenance free (you don't need Ccleaner on a console to fix those pesky registry issues that keep re-appearing every now and then, for example)
An absolute plug and play machine. And at this point, console user would even pardon below 60fps as long as the input is not lagging severely (looking at you Dark Soul 3)

Too bad gone now the era when you borrow a cd or cartridge game from a friend to play on your own. Everything has DLC now. Or patches to fix bugs. Or not even having hard copy in the first place. Everything had to be digital now. Even borrowing is digitalized with a catch. Because apparently, just because you paid for the game doesn't mean you really own it. Sad.

I find myself appreciating the Japanese action rpg's more than anything so its too bad Xbox One has only managed about 75K lifetime sales over in Japan. Going forward, I'd like to see some better dealing overseas, east and west. It's good business for PC too.

mspencerl87

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
When they announced this like 2015 wasn't it going to be like.... More badass?
Putting a Jaguar based CPU in this in 2017? WTF is wrong with you. When was that architecture out? 2014? Hell might as well use a i3 quad core for better performance?
2.3Ghz? woooooow so amazing.. You could build a better PC for $500
This will have low IPC, Sub par 4K fps and all around crappy.
Do 1080P at 60FPS before trying to take on 4K microsoft.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Microsoft's engineers are smart cookies. I trust that they put Jaguar CPUs in the XBOX 1X for good reason. Probably an effort to maximize compatibility with existing XBOX1 software.

mspencerl87

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
AGENTLOZEN
Microsoft's engineers are smart cookies. I trust that they put Jaguar CPUs in the XBOX 1X for good reason. Probably an effort to maximize compatibility with existing XBOX1 software.

I know... its just like.. leaves me wanting more from a 2017 Xbox

You can still do this just fine. I still Red Box a few PS4 games each year. No different than borrowing them.

The difference between consoles and PCs, however, is that consoles all have static hardware configurations. This means the OS is heavily optimized for the given hardware resulting in a much lower overhead. The games also are optimized, yielding higher performance than you'd see on a computer with the same specs. The original PlayStation had a 33 MHz CPU, 2 MB RAM, and 1 MB VRAM GPU. The FFVII PC port needed a 133 MHz CPU with 8 MB system RAM and 4 MB 3D card to get similar performance as you saw on the console.

Speaking of PS, anyone else get a hint of the old PS2 looking at the Scorpio?

Status
Not open for further replies.