Microsoft Rumored to be Slowing Surface Production

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
The price tag played a part in this. They could've price these at at least $100 less and would've sold considerably more. It was foolish to fight the iPad's price tag.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
[citation][nom]zubikov[/nom]Honestly look around the mall on black friday, ask your friends, relatives and coworkers. Who went out and got a Microsoft Surface? I bet many got an iPad or the amazing Nexus 10. The Surface is an expensive joke.[/citation]
Also, if you read comments from other sites, where the Microsoft 1,5 bilion $ campaign has not involved, you will see there are few users that says it will buy the Surface (Pro/RT) tablet. Of corse my message will be thumbed down in few minutes.

I don't work for Microshaft as I like to call them, even though I'm a fan I only speak what I see.
How long have you been a beligerent troll?

Most Fans of MicroSoft don't call it MicroShaft, people that hate them do so what are you a fan or a hater make up your mind. You don't call people a belligerent troll w/o a good reason unless your a noob, noob. And teasing you about working for MS isn't a good reason it was a joke, so stop crying, by the way you misspelled belligerent.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
The price is outrageous. I won't be jumping on that bandwagon unless the price comes down. They need to compete with the iPad. I'm not an Apple Fanboy, but the iPad is a great device and almost a laptop replacement. I was really hoping Microsoft will succeed in the tablet market, but I'm afraid they won't. Android is only keeping up because if the low low prices of their tablets. I have the Nexus 7 and an iPad. My iPad collects dust.

xkm121

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
Looks like the Surface is going to fail hard. along with Windows 8. Too bad I actually like part of the Microsoft's new lineup---The WP8 division.

Give people the right to ditch MetroUI, lower the price of Surface then MS may still have a chance.

[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]I know But it is THEIR OS after all.. we're not in a place to really complain about it..[/citation]
We certainly are in a place to complain about it, both superficially--because we are in a web forum lol--and, more importantly, because Microsoft has a stranglehold on several segments of the technology market and shouldn't be allowed to abuse it.
[citation][nom]christarp[/nom]... this is one of the dumbest comments i've ever read.[/citation]
Yup...
[citation][nom]-Jackson[/nom]What I meant is that, we're so dependent on Windows that there's really no way we can threaten MS into fulfilling what we want in THEIR OS. I mean, unless a very large majority starts complaining about it. Edit: And buddy, dumbest isn't even a word.[/citation]
lolwut? "Dumbest" is absolutely a word.

hannibal

Distinguished
The Surface pro is in direct competition with Apple airbook... Allso in price and features and speed. So guite elitist device...
We need allso affordable version for normal users. 2-4 core ValleyView atom prosessor would be interesting if it is fast enough to run normal windows programs. It should eat much less power than the i5 used in Surface pro and allso it should be much cheaper.

G

For the price of an Macbook Air, surface has Small screen, even smaller SSD, no thunderbolt, etc.. No no no! for that price I can get an Apple and run windows, and Apple OS, also I can back up my system in a flash to an external thunderbolt drive! Surface just floats dead in the water for me! The only thing the Surface competes with is crab food!

[citation][nom]Zetto[/nom]Tablet builder are you? please...We have dozens of off brand (chinese) windows 7 tablets for management for on site use ...[/citation]

No no hardly, where I can see the value of a good tablet in complementing your work, I think you still need a good work PC to get your high-end computing done. I've been building PCs since the late 80s, today's home PCs have so much power it's awesome. I don't think the power of these tablets can completely replace them at this time. Maybe in the future sometime but not now.

[citation][nom]SurfacingCrap[/nom]For the price of an Macbook Air, surface has Small screen, even smaller SSD, no thunderbolt, etc.. No no no! for that price I can get an Apple and run windows, and Apple OS, also I can back up my system in a flash to an external thunderbolt drive! Surface just floats dead in the water for me! The only thing the Surface competes with is crab food![/citation]
Your Mac Air would not have a touch screen, digitizer, nor the ability to be used in a small tablet form factor. However, it can run Windows software for productive uses, just like the Mac Air.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"I can't understand not wanting the RT. Can't wait for the Pro though."

At $899? I see this thing being a complete flop at that price. There is no justification in performance or features to warrant that price..

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I had a Surface RT, and it was very good. I liked it very much. I returned it because I'm very picky, and there was a problem with the glass not being completely flat on the edge. The hardware (Tegra) was also kind of slow too. Normally, I wouldn't feel the lag (like as in Android's lag), but when heavy things are going on, I could definitely feel it's lagging and app load time was kind of too long.

I got a Samsung XE500T which has the new Atom z2760 in it, and I'm loving this thing. Battery lasts 10 hours, has wacom digitizer pen, and I can install all my apps since it's a x86 processor. I probably would have bought the Surface Pro if I didn't have the Samsung ATIV.

For $900, it's a very good price. I was expecting $1200 range.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Windows RT. The RT stands for....REALLT TERRIBLE?? LOL. Windows 8 is a joke on desktop. On the tablet, it's too late to catch up with i0S and Android (lacking app store, no price advantage). And the Surface pro...well, again for business users, nobody wants the Metro UI. MS just have no idea what the market wants. They should have focus an OS for tablets + phone while leaving the desktop alone. Now, the Windows 8 is too heavy on an underpowered tablet and too clunky for a desktop users.

Will some please fired Ballmer? I never like that crazy idiot.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012

Unless you have some way of significantly threatening their sales, no you really don't. MS "has a stranglehold on several segments of the technology market" due to the fact that the majority is so dependent on it.
Sure, of course you CAN complain about it, but it's not going to change anything in that context.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]boiler1990[/nom]W8 RT isn't the main drawback; the limitation of Tegra III is. RT is, at least IMO, a great alternative to iOS and Android. It works very well on touch-enabled devices, provides a near-seamless transition to Windows on desktops (for users as well as developers), and is actually a very functional OS in terms of productivity apps. The problem is that Tegra III simply isn't strong enough to effective run the OS, all of the touch-enabled interactions, and complex programs like Office simultaneously. The biggest complaints from nearly every review can be traced back to the hardware, not the software. I think these issues will be quickly rectified by the Surface Pro, and I look forward to its arrival.[/citation]I agree, for the most part. Although I'd say that the Tegra 3 works better in practice on the Surface for most tasks than you give it credit for. For a first gen device it works pretty damn well. I don't think x86 is the only way to go. If you need legacy software, sure. Otherwise if you just want more punch, maybe a future Surface with a meatier Tegra 4 or other new ARM-based chip.[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]The price is outrageous. I won't be jumping on that bandwagon unless the price comes down. They need to compete with the iPad. I'm not an Apple Fanboy, but the iPad is a great device and almost a laptop replacement. I was really hoping Microsoft will succeed in the tablet market, but I'm afraid they won't. Android is only keeping up because if the low low prices of their tablets. I have the Nexus 7 and an iPad. My iPad collects dust.[/citation]Well I agree that it's a bit steep, but it's the same price as an iPad. It also is closer to a laptop replacement than an iPad. You'd know that if you used one. Especially if you ever do any work with Office. The Surface keyboard cover is great, and it has a way better antenna/radio than the iPad. I have family with both the Surface and the latest iPad (and Android tablets), I've used them side by side. I don't own either, but if they drop the price of the Surface a bit I'd consider buying one.

twztechman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have an Ipad 2, a Nexus 7, and a Surface. They all rock! The iPad is perfect for the wife - she has taken it over and uses it day in an out. It's perfect for her. The Nexus is super light, great for games, reading a book, surfing and general use, and has many hours of battery life. The Surface is all mine. I have been using excel for an upcoming event I am planning, and it rocks. At the same time it is a great tablet, light enough for reading, general use, and has great battery life. It has all the advantages of a PC, and a tablet combined. Plus - all these folks ragging Window 8. I have converted my main desktop and secondary laptop to Win8 and am loving it. Sure, I occasionally have to use the search function to find something I could have gone right to in WIN 7 - so what. If you are not as productive in WIN 8 as you were in WIN 7 after a couple hours of usage, you are just on the back end of the learning curve.

rgeiken

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I looked at the Surface at the Microsoft Store and found out that it had a quad core tegra 3 and 2 gig of ram ala what I was working with with W7 on a Netbook with 4 core Intel 550 and 2 gig of ram. That was frustrating to use under almost any conditions. So if W7 didn't work very good on my Netbook, I wouldn't expect it to work much better with W8 and almost the same resources on a Surface Tablet. I have two W7 computers with i7 processors and 6 and8 gig of ram, and W7 just races though it's tasks with those two computers. W7 and W8 are likely just fine when they are paired with hardware that is built to perform with those O/Ss. i OS and Android perform pretty good with single Core and dual core processors and 1 or 2 gig of ram since the O/Ss are much simpler. I don't think that W8 can compete with i OS and Android on price because of the difference in the Operating Systems. A $1000 W8 computer will probably outperform a Nexus 10 or Apple i Pad 4 priced at $499. A $499 Surface Tablet will likely be left in the dust next to the 2 tablets above. You can't make a Silk Purse out of a Sow's

rgeiken

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
My experience from the short time that I used W8 RT with the Surface was disappointing to say the least. If some one else felt differently about their experience, they likely might have bought one. This story was about rumored slowing of production which didn't surprise me based on my evaluation. I didn't try to do anything difficult on the device, just simple things to see how it performed. It still has tons of services that are running in the background ala W7. W8 even the RT version of it is a complicated operating system that they are are trying to use on resource starved hardware. If they had put 4 gig of ram with this device, it might have improved operation quite a bit. Ram is fairly inexpensive today versus 5 or 6 years ago. I bought a Nexus 7 since I already had my quota of Windows computers already.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]Windows 8 rocks. The Surface RT rocks. The closed model they're applying to application installations and the completely restricted API you can code Windows 8 apps in, is the failure point for the Surface RT. The Pro you'll be able to use as normal, but after X amount of years with that freedom, trying to apply a business model like Apple or Droid to a piece of hardware, will not catch on. I was horrified when I tried to set an environment variable within some code for my Surface RT, only to find out the API is probably 30% of the entire .net 4.5 framework. Don't get me wrong, that helps security and performance, but that sure limits the amount you can actually do for coding and reduces the experience of the end user. (this is not a droid, or a crummy apple, this is freakin windows. it's been a mature and massive experience for years)[/citation] Droid is a phone made by Motorola, Android is an OS. I feel like suffocating people when they mix those two terms.

G

Ive been a computer engineer for 35 years and am certified in just about everything Microsoft. Ive had it with the crap OS's they sell. 8 is a complete bust. Microsoft junk is all fraught with errors and needs to be patched all the time. Its pure garbage in, garbage out. Any halfwit knows that if you allow the buffers to overun so the code will fit is begging for it. (that is how the hackers get in, they overrun the buffers with their code slapped on the end and the OS allows it. LINUX and Android exclusively. The only place I use windows is at work because they have been conned by MS for so long they don't know any different.

MS is dying and nothing is going to save it. Can you say blackberry! Same problem, garbage in garbage out. My kobo arc running android ice cream beats any of these laptops and tablets hands down and cost less than 200 bucks. I now do all my remote work on the Kobo and webmail. I can remote desktop and do anything I need to do from my 7 inch reader, sitting in timmies using their free wifi. I cant wait for jelly bean to land on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.