Microsoft Says Windows Phone 8 Update 3 Rolling Out Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsta

Splendid
Good to see they keep updating and adding more features to Windows phone 8, the Windows phone suggestion box site is a great idea. I never expected MS to ask for feedback like this.

Great to see Windows Phone 8 becoming a really viable and competetive OS. Never thought it had a chance to compete with Android or iOS in the first place. Now I might actually myself consider Windows Phone 8 in the future, excellent work Microsoft. :)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
WP is already a viable competitor, all this does is underpin the work going on for CSIP, a few generations of Android have seen vast improvements so a few generations of WP should do the same.

hannibal

Distinguished
This will bring some uumph to high end Windows phones. So far there has been very little differend between middle range and highend windows phones, now there will be wider variety of windows phones.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
I'm using a Windows 7 phone and finding it stable, fulfills all of the basic functionality I want from a phone, and generally a good little unit, but buying another such phone in the future is hinging on one big thing - file system access. Is this present in Windows phone 8, and if not, is there any sign of it being added in the future?

jesh4622

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
What do you mean by file system access? Access to WP8 OS files? No. Can you drag and drop whatever you want and it works? Yes.

-happy lumia 920 user

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I mean accessing the whole folder architecture and seeing a list of files which I can run if I want to. The main thing is being able to run the equivalent of .apk files so I can actually install out-of-store programs. Then there are things like manipulating files (movies, music, documents, etc), moving them from folder to folder, from the file system rather than inside of the program that uses them.

The whole sync system is a very abstracted way of dealing with files. I want to go in and use a file system. Android lets you do it. Windows RT lets you do it. Windows Phone is like iOS, as far as I can tell, in that it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.