Microsoft Selling 'Signature PCs' Sans Crapware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less bloatware is good. Period. I've seen my fair share of proprietary recovery programs pre-built in, Shockwave/Java based video games which are pre-installed that require payment to actually use, "Free" trial anti-virus programs, etc.

Takes the fun out of a new PC/Laptop for lots of folks since you spend the first 30 minutes of your new PC's life uninstalling tons of garbage before you actually get to play with the new piece of equipment.

But, that's why I build my own systems...

ecnovaec

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
why wouldn't we believe this? Microsoft has been everyone's punching bag for years when they rarely do anything wrong. Maybe this will make people realize that it's the third party programs causing all their problems!

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Only makes sense to let Microsoft figure out to configure the OS to run more efficiently. How many people complain about how slowly Windows loads, but only because they have Google Desktop, AIM, MSN, Skype, 2 Virus scanners, iTunes, WinAmp, WinZip, Wireless utilities, etc.. etc.. all loading at startup?

Of course, I still don't trust Microsoft over some OEM, but if it helps them clear their name (and prevent another stupid I'm a Mac commercial), I'm all for it. I'll still be deciding whats installed on my own machines, but for pre-built systems, this should be a plus.

Although, pre-installing their own software is probably going to lead to anti-trust issues. Hopefully they aren't selling these PCs in Europe.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
LOL When I saw the headline, I knew this was Mr yams work! Out of all the people that work there, he is the only one that does anti microsoft/windows 7 articles. And the main guy had the nerve to write that huge response to Mr yam being a fanboy.

I had my chuckle for the day.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow I hope this actually comes out. I remember when I first got my HP laptop from bestbuy I erased the hard drive and started fresh. I did this because it literally took 40 minutes for the computer to boot to windows after it finishes setting up the computer.

Funny thing is people actually pay the "geek" sqauad hundreds of dollars to do this lol.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Microsoft built computers? This is a big surprise. As for the "popular" Adobe software, the author is probably right. This isn't crapware, it's likely what most would consider required software such as Flash (many sites don't offer non flash versions) and Acrobat Reader since unlike the Mac, Windows still doesn't have a built in PDF reader.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
It is a step in the right direction. After all, when you purchase a new car, you don't want 1,000 pounds of crap in the trunk of which you have no need for.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
just so long as microsoft doesn't start shoveling live search and live care into prebuilt pcs is fine. seems dell has been putting that trash in laptops i have been configuring recently. although then again that could be the fault of the dumbass supplier we use rather than going direct through dell.

sstym

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Marcus, though I agree that having to uninstall bloatware on a new laptop is a real pain, it sounds like your argument boils down to "less choice is better".
I think your ideal Windows computer is a macbook: limited hardware choice controlled by the software editor. It makes for really stable machines but also allows the vendor to inflate the price and limits your choices. The marketing department just has to persuade people that fewer choices is really awesome©.

This really reminds me of Henry Ford saying "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black".

foody

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I recall watching a video from Tiger Direct posting a video that talked about software called the pcdecrapifier. Could help some of you people.

truerock

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
The things I hate about Windows PCs (I own 2 Dell, 2 HP, 1 Velocity netbook and 1 home-built PC):
1. Crapware and bloatware
2. Recovery partitions and no Windows installation CD.

bliq

Distinguished
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]just so long as microsoft doesn't start shoveling live search and live care into prebuilt pcs is fine. seems dell has been putting that trash in laptops i have been configuring recently. although then again that could be the fault of the dumbass supplier we use rather than going direct through dell.[/citation]

All those Apple apps are more analogous to Windows accessories than they are to bloatware. Your argument holds no water. Safari=IE, ITunes/QuickTime=Windows Media Player, etc. True bloatware is the stuff that a company pays to get included on the desktop- the games, Real Player, AOL, Norton, etc.

xiiifigs

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Seriously, again I can't say that I disagree with the author, but why are these opinion articles under the news section? I'm not arguing against Marcus' common sense, but again, aren't news supposed to be objective (or at least less evidently subjective)?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
The latest and greatest from Windows! Oh wait...Apple already had that...

Flame me all you want, but Mac OS has always been clean of bloatware from the start. I use a PC solely for work and play, but you've got to at least recognize that Windows isn't everything and Apple has something to offer too.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]The latest and greatest from Windows! Oh wait...Apple already had that...Flame me all you want, but Mac OS has always been clean of bloatware from the start. I use a PC solely for work and play, but you've got to at least recognize that Windows isn't everything and Apple has something to offer too.[/citation]

Windows OS has always been clean of the kind of bloatware talked about here too... did you read the article at all, it clearly sta...... ahh what am i doing... don't ... feed... trolls

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I really don't see a problem with this. If Microsoft is selling me a PC then I pretty much would expect them to include their applications. If Microsoft didn't include Security Essentials or their movie maker, Apple fans would say "don't get a PC, it doesnt even come with a movie maker or any anti-virus." Besides, unlike the crap software that HP and Dell make and load onto their PC's, I think all of these Microsoft apps listed are actually top notch stuff (considering they are free). Security Essentials is the best anti-virus I have ever used, meaning it gives my computer some basic protection without me even noticing it. Movie maker is plenty good enough for your average amature who wants to put some clips together into a home video.

My only complaint is Adobe PDF reader. I say replace that with Foxit Reader.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]The latest and greatest from Windows! Oh wait...Apple already had that...Flame me all you want, but Mac OS has always been clean of bloatware from the start. I use a PC solely for work and play, but you've got to at least recognize that Windows isn't everything and Apple has something to offer too.[/citation]
Yes I will flame you. Your an idiot. Dell and HP loading crap onto the computers they sell does not mean that Microsoft Windows comes with bloatware. If Apple allowed other vendors to sell computers with their OS, then those computers would be filled with bloatware as well. If you don't like bloatware, either build your own PC or just take the 30 minutes to re-install the OS. If your too lazy to do any of those easy steps, then go ahead and pay the 50-100% extra cost for an Apple computer with the same hardware.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I'm all for this. And like everyone else, not only can I believe it, but I am not in the least bit surprised by it, and in fact have been saying that if MS were to take a bigger hand in getting a line of 'optimised' pc's out there , they would do far more to promote the windows brand and pc's in general than just about anything else they could do.

I hope they take this a step further as well and address the issue of 'suitable hardware for the task.' As it is every PC manufacturer tries to push their systems as being perfect for everything, multimedia, gaming, surfing, etc etc, irrespective of the specs of their machine. This is the main reason for the flase perception that Mac's are more powerful and better suited to design, graphics and high end jobs than PC's. They aren't, they are one amongst a whole range of computers that are.

I'm also not ssurprised at all because I watched the windows 7 launch video, and the way they demonstrated products it was clear this was going to be the line they took with their store. They also did more to categorise the different hardware in to it's different uses than anyone else I have seen.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom] ....... I say replace that with Foxit Reader.[/citation]

I've never even heard of foxit (but I may give it a try now), but I'd have thought in this case it would be better to stick to the industry standard, mainly because adobe created the pdf format to start with, and adobe reader automatically updates to the latest version, which is always at the forefront of pdf technology, whereas you may have to wait for foxit to update theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.