Microsoft Sending Pop-Up Notifications to Windows XP Users

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

I would guess the forums are about to get flooded by "help me upgrade my XP" threads then! The bad thing is that there is quite a bit of old hardware out there with no drivers for anything newer than XP.

loltrol

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Yea, yea, but I'm not sure if I'm running XP... thanks microsoft for your website, you just have proven that your biggest userbase is the dumbest of all OSs to date.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Yea, yea, but I'm not sure if I'm running XP... thanks microsoft for your website, you just have proven that your biggest userbase is the dumbest of all OSs to date.
The number of people who don't know what operating system they're running is astounding. I think the majority of Android owners know if they're running Android but 95%+ of iOS owners probably couldn't tell you they're running iOS.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
The number of people who don't know what operating system they're running is astounding. I think the majority of Android owners know if they're running Android but 95%+ of iOS owners probably couldn't tell you they're running iOS.
But how many Android users could tell you which version of the operating system they are running? Gingerbread? ICS? Jellybean? KitKat? Most of the users I know who don't root their phones honestly don't know which version they're running. I'd imagine the case is similar for Windows XP - All they know, and all they think they need to know, is that they're running Windows; the version is irrelevant to them as long as they perceive their system to work.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So their chooice is win7 who is also starting to go down the age chain or thr messed up windows 8... MS gives them a choice of short life or live longer with gonoreha. How nice!

Peter Rafeiner

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
I bet most of those XP machines are not or only marginally capable to run Win 7 or 8 from a hardware point of view. So 'upgrading' means getting a new PC too. Someone tell that to M$ !

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Pretty sure a much larger percentage of Apple users could tell you they are running iOS. Maybe not which version, but Apple has made it quite public to its user base that i devices run iOS. All the keynotes and marketing sure do a good job of that to even the dumbest Apple user.
But how many Android users could tell you which version of the operating system they are running? Gingerbread? ICS? Jellybean? KitKat? Most of the users I know who don't root their phones honestly don't know which version they're running. I'd imagine the case is similar for Windows XP - All they know, and all they think they need to know, is that they're running Windows; the version is irrelevant to them as long as they perceive their system to work.
I also find this INCREDIBLY hard to believe. Microsoft has done a TREMENDOUS effort marketing new versions of Windows. Vista, 7, and 8. Reception is a different story, but seriously, most of these XP machines are old old business machines designed for one task or another. Any half decent IT department would've upgraded their employee machines to 7 or above years ago. Oh and grandma might use XP to check her emails. but seriously, thats it!!!

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
As some independent survey's say that Linux usage almost doubled in 4Q of 2013 (to almost 2%).Add this to the picture & Linux usage will sky racket& as Valve Steam OS is still in beta bat Valve is also reporting 50% increase among gamers. More & more great manufacturing giants are contributing & opening to development so it's expected that hardware support will get major improvements in this year. So M$ is actually forced to free edition.

Spad7

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I would guess the forums are about to get flooded by "help me upgrade my XP" threads then! The bad thing is that there is quite a bit of old hardware out there with no drivers for anything newer than XP.
I dunno . . . Windows 7 32 bit requirements are pretty light. A PC would have to support less then 1GB of memory, or have a CPU that runs at less than 1GHZ, or have un-upgradable on-board video that does not support at least DirectX 9 with WDDM 1.0. I upgraded a PC I built 10 years ago to Windows 7 Pro 32bit, and it's doing fine. Maybe Grandma can keep her trusty PC for a while longer ;)

Spad7

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
I dunno . . . Windows 7 32 bit requirements are pretty light. A PC would have to support less then 1GB of memory, or have a CPU that runs at less than 1GHZ, or have un-upgradable on-board video that does not support at least DirectX 9 with WDDM 1.0. TO NOT SUPPORT 7. I upgraded a PC I built 10 years ago to Windows 7 Pro 32bit, and it's doing fine. Maybe Grandma can keep her trusty PC for a while longer ;)
sorry - thought I should specify that. No edit function, I see.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
It's not like XP PC's will suddenly blow up to sky (that would take unlikely event of someone sitting on os breaking vulnerability).

First and foremost danger to PC is the user... no security update will help the user that's already running virus and spyware ridden machine, because they browse and install software from untrusted sources, using some old browser.

I dare to say that well protected (firewall/ antyvirus) with modern software, and good conduct by informed user of WinXP machine will run many more years without Microsoft service updates.

It only says that on boot screen every single time.

klarkmdb

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
Of course this will be an opportunity for malware/spyware to come up with their own fake pop-up notification of Windows XP.

Then it is simple, don't upgrade, the world will not end, your computer will run fine.

Achaios-1328513

Honorable
May 28, 2013
I dunno . . . Windows 7 32 bit requirements are pretty light. A PC would have to support less then 1GB of memory, or have a CPU that runs at less than 1GHZ, or have un-upgradable on-board video that does not support at least DirectX 9 with WDDM 1.0. I upgraded a PC I built 10 years ago to Windows 7 Pro 32bit, and it's doing fine. Maybe Grandma can keep her trusty PC for a while longer ;)
Where did you find Win 7 GPU drivers you smartass? There were never any Win 7 drivers released for my AGP Nvidia Ge Force 4 460 Go, which means that should I upgrade to Win 7, I would have no drivers for my GPU as it is not supported. CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Northwood@2.8 GHz, Nvidia Geforce 4 460 Go 64MB AGP GPU, DDR1@333 MHz. Not to mention that Win 7 doesn't support pretty much nothing else out of my laptop's hardware. So long as my Toshiba laptop still works, I will still work with it. If that means runninG Windows XP for 5 years more, then no problem. For the record, my Toshiba Satellite S1950-801 is a 2003 model. :)

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Most of that old hardware runs on Lubuntu or Xubuntu really well. Perfect time to switch to something you won't have to pay for again - anyone still running XP generally doesn't want modern AAA game titles anyway.

I have a 6 month old built myself for gaming PC that runs a dual boot of 7 and XP. I have XP because it runs my older games that I still love much better and I absolutely loathe 7's file organization options. So if I am messing with files, I use XP. MS took 5 steps back in file organization with 7. Can't freely move icons around in a folder while you are trying to create organization? WTH Also that you can't have one folder arrange the files by date modified and another by name? No, they all have to be arranged in 1 way in 7. Thanks MS. I'll hang on to my copy of XP for those types of things. I'll use 7 for the internet and for DX11 games only.

Status
Not open for further replies.