Microsoft Shows First Look at Windows 8 Interface

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philipjacobs

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
Fortunately, Microsoft is gearing up to make sure everything is in sync.
Eventually we will come to like this thought process a lot. But for those of us that still utilize the KVM, it's rather aggrevating!

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
MS should really expand the file explorer like have it devided to several parts, where each part can have different sets of locations. And each part should have tabs too, and each tab can have an editable title. Similar to what those commander software have, but with more customizations.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I forget to add that the marketing and consulting hacks must spend too much time watching CNN because one of the most ANNOYING aspects of their news casts is when they have the talent (news anchors?) walk up to a "big board touch screen" and start pressing it to activate whatever it is they want to focus on...the amusing thing is that at least half the time when they "touch" the screen it doesn't respond and then they have to touch it again several times before it activates...Completely stupid and distracting from the news they are supposedly presenting!

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]malphas[/nom]... despite it being said multiple times now that this GUI isn't even intended for desktop use. In case you didn't notice, desktop usage is shrinking and dominated by Windows while the ultraportables and tablet sector is exploding and still a landgrab as far as the OS is concerned, of course Microsoft are going to be showcasing their developments in that sector rather than preaching to the converted desktop crowd. At no point was it stated that this was going to be the default or only GUI.[/citation]

Ahem. 4:00 mark in the video:

"This is the new version of Windows. It's going to run on laptops, it's going to run on desktops, it's going to run on PCs with mouse and keyboard, it's going to run on touch slates, it's going to run on everything. Hundreds of millions of Windows PCs powered by this new interface and new platform.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010

YEs, you can do that, but I find my fingers are still faster for actually putting a document together, beyond basic, like say putting a text message together. But formatting, things like that still much easier with old mouse and keyboard. Word processing is alot more than just saying some words and having them appear on a screen.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Why would you want to use the same OS for tablets and PCs? This is like Ford building a combination motercycle/pick-up truck. Makes no sense since the full OS will probably be something like 50-100 GB in size. The tablet OS will need to be a lot smaller, so therefore no need to build the more limited tablet "experience" into a fully capable PC.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
I cant understand why people are so angry at this new UI.I cant seem to find anything wrong with it, and if MS is able to integrate this properly over the existing UI(which is still there, its going to be great.MS did say that this new UI will work fully with mouse+keyboard, so whats the problem?

BTW, people here seem to think that whenever you boot Windows you do serious stuff like number-crunching on spreadsheets, managing databases and the like.That's such an archaic concept.Speak honestly, do you always do that when you turn on the PC?

This new interface will be beneficial, especially to laptop users, like for example imagine yourself on a long distance train journey;with features like HybridBoot, you can quickly boot your PC and this new UI will allow you to flick through e-mail and social updates in a jiffy, and it'll have numerous small benefits as well for casual computing, which Microsoft is targeting.

If Microsoft is successful in integrating this for casual users while keeping the core UI intact for power users, it'll be a huge success.
Win 8 will run on ARM, which will give MS an opportunity in the tablet and smartphone markets.If done right, it will give iOS and Android a run for their money( IMO, this Metro UI already makes iOS and Honeycomb look like something from the stone age).

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
I like how everyone is judging it absolutely terrible from a short video. Guys, you have no idea what the final product will look or feel like. Give it a chance, it might be the future.

And if you look the classic 7 interface is still there, this is clearly optional.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Im not sure how I feel about this. Its definitely different from any windows OS Ive seen. Though, Im not sure if I will like it if I cant switch to the classic style.

G

If history is any teacher, 8 will be the operating system to miss until 9 comes along.

I see a lot of people asking if anyone who is complaining and whining about this actually watched the Video etc.
Yes we did and we don't like it still. Why do replies like this get voted down and the ranting get voted up ? Thats called a democracy in action my friend. the majority don't want a bar of it and are using this forum to try and make their voice heard.
Yes its optional but whats the Option exactly ? same interface without the touch screen i shouldn't wonder. Well i don't want my UI to look like a Media center.
Besides all the subjective talk about do we like it or not it should be banned on desktop PC's based on health and safety grounds.
Most of us sit too close to the screen as it is, but having to sit close enough to touch a 24" screen will damage peoples eyesight.

psyndrome

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
While I’m up for innovation, it kind of reminds me of the when M$ tried to “catchup” in the mobile scene where it took Windows Mobile 6.5 and face-lifted it prior to the release of WP7. It still had the WM6.5 OS kernel under the hood but had a fancier overlay. This to me looks exactly like that. Windows 7 under the hood with a face-lift. Might as well just call it Windows 7.1 to be honest.

G

One feature that can do NO HARD, is to have an option to revert to the Windows & or XP interface. For those people who like em.

In fact, why make the 'style' of the Operating System fixed? Let users design new interfaces etc and open an 'app store'.
e.g. Download a win8 mod/app to allow shrinking/enlarging of any icon.

Have a mod that creates a 'factory settings' copy of win8 on your hard drive, a dvd etc
When a boot error etc occurs it can patch any holes with the files contained in the backup.
Have this be automatic, requiring users to turn it off if they need a few more GB on their 2TB hard drive.

Encrypt keyboard/mouse input, built in keylogging detection.

Allowing OS users to 'mix and match' like Firefox users are able to with extensions.

When windows8 starts,
let the user select one of several small games to play while they wait.

Autoscan for potential boot errors before shutting down/restarting and abort restart if found. Automatically attempt to restore from on-disk backup.If unsuccessful let the user know that they need to fix this or they won't be able to boot windows after shutting down.

Voice Recognition: wheh the computer hears "FREEZE FBI!" it locks down user input and completely formats the hard drive...starting with .jpg,movie files, and anything to do with the internet first.
While this is going on, it shows a fake windows loading screen.

When Micro$oft detects a pirated version of windows8, animated pirates start popping up on the screen and destroy any file they can get their hands on. Carrying your files back to Microsoft for inspection.

After they have all your data, you get a ransom note from MS with their demands.
"How much is your data worth?"
write a number after the $:
The number is up to you, but if it's not enough...we delete everything!

Maybe that's too soft...
how about this: Mercenaries dressed as pirates get sent to your home. They loot everything. Everything.
They toss you a paperclip before leaving with your stuff, kids, and your wife/husband.

There you are in an empty house...left holding a paperclip.

Ballmer adds your wife/husband? to the Harem,
and the kids are put to work sealing win8 boxes with their tears.

All hail Windows8! and the new DRM.

G

Microsoft gets blasted for not innovating, it tries and hey it gets blasted for trying to change!

Come on, you show me any other piece of software with 14 years support (XP).

Microsoft know what they are doing, if you have a problem with it I suggest you go find another OS to use after all there is plenty of choice!

Personally, I multi-boot, so will use the tile interface on my game systems, where the games and browser and overclock applications all I want to see!
Work systems the same, and a search box like the start search to find anything on the pc, plus a control panel link, the more you think about it, the greater this idea becomes, stop holding off change people get real!

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
If I had one of those snazzy all in one PC's with the touch screen, I would totally pick this OS up. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to use with a touch screen and yes I have a WP7 (and love it).

However, I don't. I have a homebuilt PC with an Asus monitor and the traditional inputs. Therefore, I will most likely not be upgrading (unless I can get it for free through my school. Even then, I'd dual boot).

Good job Microsoft, I really like the new interface, I really think it has potential for the tablet market and touch screen computers, but I probably won't be getting it. Sorry!

G

Gees that interface looks terrible to me. None of the simplicity of iOS, none of the usability of traditional desktops. I like Windows 7. I think if this is gonna be windows 8 then windows 7 will definitely become the new XP that people will use for a decade plus despite newer OS releases from Microsoft. Either that or MacOS will become the dominant desktop OS. I'd add linux but there isn;t the commercial cohesiveness for that.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
For fcccs sake people windows 8 still has the traditional windows 7 like desktop as well. The metro ui is a component that can be turned off and on.

The “Post-PC” Era: It’s Real, But It Doesn’t Mean What You Think It Does
"Computing is changing"
It's an interesting read and IMO forward looking enough that it might shed some more light on why MS is moving in the direction they're going with Win8.

"So where is this all going? In the post-PC era, the “PC” is alive and well, but it morphs to support computing experiences that are increasingly ubiquitous, casual, intimate, and physical. The new MacBook Air and Samsung Series 9 demonstrate PCs going in this direction. In the post-PC era, PCs are joined by smartphones and tablets, as well as future devices like wearables and surfaces. Imagine computing via a heads-up display embedded in your eyeglasses or contact lenses or learning about breaking news updates from a change in your electronics-embedded clothing. The products that will win have yet to be determined, but the underlying technological and social changes that will drive the post-PC forward are already here"

tykel

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
This is the tablet UI. It is separate from the desktop UI. Desktops will not use this UI by default. I don't see why so many are saying that they are ruining the desktop expeience... because they will have hardly changed it.

I think the technical term for this is FUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS