Microsoft Shows First Look at Windows 8 Interface

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jgiron[/nom]I really hope they have a classic view...I can see it being useful in certain environments but I prefer the classic look.[/citation]
Windows has had the ability to go back to classic view in all of its OS's, admittedly not as far back as having Windows 3.11 mode in Windows 7, but i'm sure you have nothing to worry about.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Hope it will be more than just a cosmetic change...new OS should be more than that.
Unless Microsoft wont charge premium for upgrade...

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]Dude, at first I wanted to curse you but here is a little explanation for you.The touch screen option would not help you when you use a desktop PC and 24" monitor but if you install this Windows OS on a touch screen enabled device like a tablet or convertible laptop or something, where mouse is not available or possible to use - then it makes sense.Microsoft wants this Windows to work from smallest of tablets to largest workstations. That's the idea - one Windows OS for everywhere.I really do not get it how many people cannot understand something so simple and ask the same stupid questions over and over again.[/citation]
Do you think smaller mobile devices that would utilize the new interface would be loaded with a full 50GB (estimated) operating system?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ravewulf[/nom]4:00 mark in the video:"This is the new version of Windows. It's going to run on laptops, it's going to run on desktops, it's going to run on PCs with mouse and keyboard, it's going to run on touch slates, it's going to run on everything. Hundreds of millions of Windows PCs powered by this new interface and new platform.[/citation]
How exactly do I get a thumbs down for quoting word for word what the guy says in the video? I mean I get that its an optional interface, but I don't get how people can claim it isn't the default interface and won't be for desktops when the guy says, very specifically, that it is the default interface for all platforms. And yes, that includes desktops.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]tykel[/nom]This is the tablet UI. It is separate from the desktop UI. Desktops will not use this UI by default. I don't see why so many are saying that they are ruining the desktop expeience... because they will have hardly changed it.[/citation]
Wrong again Bob

4:00 mark in the video:
"This is the new version of Windows. It's going to run on laptops, it's going to run on desktops, it's going to run on PCs with mouse and keyboard, it's going to run on touch slates, it's going to run on everything. Hundreds of millions of Windows PCs powered by this new interface and new platform."

G

Perfect interface! I love Microsoft! They finally did a perfect interface per all those years.

The thing is that the interface so fugly and stupid, that users that thought switch to Apple Mac will finally do it, the rest of us will go to Linux.

Bravo, Microsoft! You rock!

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Apps? APPS!? They are Programs, Games, Applications! Apps are for smartphones and tablets and I think that word "apps" needs to stay on those devices. The word, isnt even a word at all, it is half a word, and is half a word because it is synonymous to half ass applications. I use the term half ass loosely, cause they are still very good for their device. Angry birds is a great game to play on my phone, but if I am on my desktop, I choose Battlefield. My point is, if we get a phone/tablet UI, we will get simpler and simpler applications (apps) to go with it. This also reminds me of two books, "1984" and "The Time Machine". My little grip about something simple like using apps in place of longer more complicated words is because in "1984", the decline of free thinking was partially portrayed in the creation of a new language. A language that combined a bunch of words with similar meanings into one easier word. (Note that it has been a while since I read it, but that was a lasting impression I got from it based on how I personally interpreted it) "The Time Machine" fits in because the fall of humanity wasnt due to destroying each other, or some apocalypse or anything. Humanity got dumb and simple. More people in the world know how to use a computer then ever before, yet everything is becoming more "user friendly"! How about we make things a little more complicated, but do way cooler things! Look at Cameras, the norm is still simple point and shoot, but more and more people are shelling out the little extra for a more complicated (and way better) dSLR! The PC market should move in a similar fashion. The better and more tech literate people become, cater to that, give them something to learn, force them to be creative and have fun with their devices! Anyway, thats my rant about the fear of the future of computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS