Microsoft Sold 1 Million Surface Tablets During 2012's Q4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I don't think the fact they were initially only available thru MS stores had anything to do with poor sales (as some people claim). Remember, only 3-4 years ago Apple stuff was only available thru official Apple stores but they still sold big. And I can't remember ever seeing an ad for Android phones and pads either, but they sell like hot cakes too. Just a case of "too little, too late".

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]It's been reported (http://blog.adduplex.com/2013/01/adduplex-windows-8rt-device-statistics.html) that Surface comprises 7.5% of all Windows 8 / RT devices.That would mean how many total Windows 8 devices being used?[/citation]
In case that wasn't a rhetorical question: 13.33 million.
1 million / 0.075 = 13.33 million

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Pro is too expensive and out of reach for most people, plus you have a factor of unknown where people are safe with iPad or Android afterall why would John Doe buy Surface when he already owns iPhone. Also Metro is not visually appealing.[/citation]

I always find it funny when people states how "Metro is not visually appealing" like it's fact. That's just your opinion. I personally find it far more appealing than the iOS (square lifeless icons organised in rows with no possibility to change unless you jailbreak? no thanks) and slightly more appealing than Android (I find the widgets on the Android helps it to be a major step up over the iOS, but essentially the layout is still a little lifeless). As soon as the Windows Store has more users and apps, it will be my platform of choice.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]Any windows device based on ARM is waste of time because Intel and AMD are coming up with x86 processors which are more battery efficient and perform faster. Speaking of Surface Pro, that is DOA as well. Pricey + Windows 8 sucks for the most part.[/citation]

Yeah, $899 is really pricey for a tablet...but when you consider that it can actually compete with Ultrabooks in the same price range, it's actually quite a good deal. Unless you're too cheap to realise that of course. And Windows 8 does not suck. Try using it for a week instead of fumbling around with it on a display unit in a shop. Then if you still can't find your way around it, maybe consider taking an IQ test.

G

I'm not sure about win 8 RT, I kinda agree with the other posters that claim intel will make a processor faster that uses less pwr than Arm... To the others that claim windows 8 sucks... I agree that the first impression or while you are trying to figure this new OS... Things that helped me... 1. Setup with local account over Misrosoft account... I did not like all the syncing between the OS & a ms email address I don't uses much... I know you add others like gmail to your account, I still prefer the local account... 2. Uninstall all the apps you won't use.... Just cleans things up.... 3. Use the search feature to find ms you used in the past & pin to the start menu. After that I'm pretty happy with Win8... I'm using on a non-24'' monitor w/ a i5 based tower...

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]susyque747[/nom]OK so now we know of 1 million fools and tools who bought MS crap.[/citation]
Actually, we are sure of one fool: susyque747

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Most people are/were probably holding out for the Surface Pro. I would assume that most people or businesses that get a Windows device want it to run older programs.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I'm not sure about win 8 RT, I kinda agree with the other posters that claim intel will make a processor faster that uses less pwr than Arm... To the others that claim windows 8 sucks... I agree that the first impression or while you are trying to figure this new OS... Things that helped me... 1. Setup with local account over Misrosoft account... I did not like all the syncing between the OS & a ms email address I don't uses much... I know you add others like gmail to your account, I still prefer the local account... 2. Uninstall all the apps you won't use.... Just cleans things up.... 3. Use the search feature to find ms you used in the past & pin to the start menu. After that I'm pretty happy with Win8... I'm using on a non-24'' monitor w/ a i5 based tower...
I also learned of a few keyboard shortcuts that make it much easier to use when not on a touch screen. http://tinyurl.com/awcxrgz

Status
Not open for further replies.