Microsoft Sold 40 Million Windows 8 Licenses in 1 Month

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Windows 8 runs lighter and faster than Windows 7. Navigating the interface is not nearly as bad as some people are making it out to be. In fact, it really isn't bad at all! After using it for a few days, I am already completely used to it and prefer it over 7.

If you really want a start button, ability to boot to desktop, and other things found in windows 7 (e.g. Aero, gadgets), there are easy ways to implement those features.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]Windows 8 would have been fantastic for new computers for 40 bucks if it had no metro and had a start menu. I love start8 for bringing back the start menu for Windows 8.I'm sure Microsoft will reevaluate metro for the desktop and bring back the start button after all the hate.[/citation]it is still cheaper than win7 if u include the start8 cost which basically turn a win8 into win7 without aero. So I have no idea why all the haters prefer to paymore win7.

I sell to computer Distys, computer integrators and computer resellers and all them have seen little to no interest in Windows 8. I sell them a lot of Windows 7 still, and I've sold like 4 copies of Windows 8 since the pre-released period. In contrast during the Windows 7 pre-release period I sold hundreds. The difference is very stark. I don't care what they buy as long as they buy, but they are just not buying Windows 8. All my coworkers internationally have said they see the same thing, little to no interest and sales in Windows 8. Its as bad or worse then Windows Vista sales.

G

[Don't hold your breath. Tablets will soon dominate PC sales. Putting Metro on Windows 8 is about getting people used to what MS will use on Tablets. If people become used to the look and feel of metro, then they will be more likely to get a MS tablet, vs another tablet with a different OS. They have the obvious market share of PC, and they know that market is getting smaller.]

True, the market will indeed get smaller. But whether tablets will dominate PC sales, it is too early to tell. Basically it will end up working like this: tablets is a nice companion to PC/notebook, as it enable the user to carry a light computing devices which main use is for media consumption. When Apple create this device, it is filling a void that no devices in the market is meeting such need. At the moment, we are seeing big sales figures for tablets, with sales mostly going to people who do not have such devices yet. And it is a big market void to fill that Apple is reaping most of the rewards at the moment. Repeat sales will happen when this device category improves in capabilities. But soon the device capabilities will hit a wall where incremental improvements are not attractive enough to warrant a repeat sales. Then people will most likely only buy tablets when the old one broke down. This is the state PC industry has been in for quite some time. When tablet become a mature market, the sales figures will drop to a more constant replacment figure. And then the actual split of the market is decided by how many people actually are satisfied with using tablets alone, vs the number of people that feel desktop/notebook suit their needs more. By the way, corporate world will never use tablets as main computing resources, not unless tablets can have the same processing power as current desktops and servers. My belief is due to the corporate world owning more machines then home users, the desktop/notebook market share will end up be larger than tablets.

[MS is looking to the future at the expense of what people believe they want in a current OS.]

MS should have done more to make touch UI works better for existing legacy application instead follow Apple like another sheep. I have tried Windows 8, on many newly released Windows 8 hybrid and tablets. And trying to use legacy application using the touch interface alone is still a very painful experience. I could see there are plenty of things Microsoft and hardware vendor could have done to make legacy application easier to use, but Microsoft has merely adopted the Apple UI approach and put up a new windowing system called Metro as the solution, and largely ignore what they can do to improve the touch UI concept. In essence, they did not dare to invent something better and choose to merely follow what Apple has successfully done in their product line. Their sales figure would have been much better if they can show the world touch UI can be easy to use even on x86 legacy applications.

The issue with touch UI on legacy applications are:

(1) it is not easy to click on the correct location to trigger a menu, or small button, or small icon. I tried it with finger or stylus, but just do not have the precise control to trigger the action you need accurately from time to time.

(2) some mouse events cannot be simulate in current touch UI. For example, mouse move event. That would be interpreted as a swipe gesture instead of mouse move in traditional window behavior.

(3) Not easy to simulate right click. You need to use click and hold method, or two finger press, which is slow. Combine this with (1) and it becomes quite annoying.

(4) Virtual keyboard cover too much of the screen, from time to time hiding the content that you need to see to enter the response properly.

All of these annoying issues, can be improved. I thought there are many smart people working in Microsoft, I do not know why none of them ever took a look at this and made improvements in their years of development. I think many people would be able to come up with new UI approach to address issues such as this, but they have to see beyond what Apple UI has done.

I believe, a touch interface that is friendly to interact with legacy applications, is a crucial feature for Microsoft in order for them to catch up in the tablets market.

[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Just wait until they try to pop a DVD in and play it..........and it doesn't work.....or did ya'll FORGET about that?And when it FORCES you to reboot - no matter what you are doing.[/citation]
VLC? XBMC? Rip and play?

pcichico

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
I own a local computer store in Chico, CA. Population 86k. Since October 26th we've sold 11 copies of Windows 7, 14 copies of Windows 8, installed 1 copy of Start8 and 1 copy of Classic Shell. Once we give the customer a 5 minute tutorial on Windows 8 they really seem to like it. We pretty much describe it as Windows 7 with the ability to install apps like your phone or tablet has and they seem to like that idea. People that have never owned a smart phone or tablet don't know what we are talking about and get Windows 7. We also add Computer, Control Panel, and the User folder icons to the desktop because that is what people miss most from the start menu.

[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]So whats the actual real differences between Vista and 7 - you list them for me, NOT including a color scheme change.[/citation]
reworked the network stack, implemented more of the minwin project to clean up old code, fixed some stability issues in the driver model, added GPU support for the UI (which is actually a pretty major change that cannot be discounted), added home groups (which are great when they work), less ram used by the OS, more aggressive ram caching to make programs run smoother.

There is more, but those are the highlights that come to mind. They are fundamentally very similar, but win7 really got things right that Vista missed on. But in reality, Vista was not all that bad of an OS; the real issue with Vista was driver support. It was the first OS in a long time to change the driver model (fixing major security holes), plus it was the first 'real' 64bit OS and manufacturers had a hard time adapting to all of these changes. Those release drivers were terrible, causing no end of issues which gave Vista the bad name that it got. If you bought a Vista machine after year 1 it really worked OK. Not as good as win7... but it was not bad either.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
IF a company like M$ is asking a cheap price for Win8, it only means that they are going to get the profit some other way... oh yess they will...

ca$hing-ca$hing forced MS-store ca$hing-ca$hing!!!

pcichico

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012
[citation][nom]junixophobia[/nom]IF a company like M$ is asking a cheap price for Win8, it only means that they are going to get the profit some other way... oh yess they will... ca$hing-ca$hing forced MS-store ca$hing-ca$hing!!![/citation]

They are a business with shareholders. They are supposed to make a profit, just like Apple and Google. They should be allowed to have an "app store" too if they want. The market will decide whether it was the right move or not.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
In related news, Mac OS X seems to have more market share than vista now, according to StatCounter.

Oops, i just gave Zak his next article.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]techguy911[/nom]Yes and they are all on oem machines sitting around in stores, i run a computer store and sold ZERO copies, my suppliers in Toronto sold a few copies and say it's not selling.The board i'm on technibble most of have not sold any either and most are downgrading from 8 to 7 for customers and i have done same for laptops that came with windows 8 customers hate it and downgrade to 7.[/citation]

gotta love how MS can pull a fog over their own eye by just looking OEM sales. seriously rediculous. saleing to OEM's SHOULD NOT COUNT. It like saying we sold 80 million copies of windows so 80 million poeple must be using our crappy paint software. freaking retarded . even more retarded is MS is going to carry on now obvious to how dissmally win 8 did and likely not really fix any thing going into win . i remeber a time when MS actually listened to customers and released a small xbox controller for the original xbox ... to bad those days of listening to your customers is gone. alternative OS's are looking more appealing all the time , if games were just easier to run on them.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
So for those who also hate Windows8... what are you going to do if Win9 continues with METRO? Other than the fixes I and another user have posted here (Metro runs ON TOP of the desktop with MetroApps running in normal sizable windows - for desktop systems)....?

MS is going to CONTINUE the Metro/App store... its the only business model that makes sense that will keep them alive. Other than MS-Office and a few PROFESSIONAL programs, there is no ACTUAL need for a Windows PC computer.

PC gaming is so going downhill that MS is making a casual-gaming $100 console? To compete with those already on the market for Android apps and games? Or even those built into TV sets... never mind the ever more powerful telephone.

G

I was just told that I could not get the upgrade I was promised, the message said I lived in the wrong part of the country.. Earlier it said I could not get it because my net book resolution wasn't adjustable and large enough.
I changed the registry to make it within their specifications; so now the excuse is because I live in Arkansas; they've already bilked me for the first installment which was for flashy icons that didn't work due to the resolution, well Microsoft, put up or quit making false promises!

M.A."Sam" Olson

Status
Not open for further replies.