Microsoft: Steam Box Not a Threat; Prototypes in 4 Months

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraftyPC

Honorable
Jun 30, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if Valve made a port of Steam running Linux based scripts and resources that could boot Windows-made games. They may potentially make "SteamOS". I would see that as in innovative way to do things but the problem is the Linux/Windows hybrid idea for games. Although, I do agree on the building of a custom system in an mATX form factor, such as a BitFenix Prodigy, or the Cubitek case.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I don't see how Valve plans to sell the "Steam Box" as it's currently envisioned by the mainstream. It's either going to be a completely unique product, think the ouya, or valve has some other, overarching plan, and the Steam Box is not an end, but rather a means to that end, in which case it would make sense to sell the Box at a loss, and make the cash back somewhere else, be it in-game microtransactions, first party software/upgrades or simply through software (they already take a 15% cut on all sales, which isn't a small amount considering how much much software they push)

Yann Bane

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
To summarize the comment section:

"Oh god how horrible! Game developers will now have to learn to do proper multiplatform programming without using vendor-locked software!"

Just imagine how great the world would be if it weren't for Microsoft's monopoly over everything.

You could pretty much play your games on any platform with enough juice in it.

bassbeast

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Personally I'm all for competition and if it can buy from multiple stores like a PC? the lower prices for games will help with sales.

That said with PC gaming never cheaper, falling hardware allowing pretty sweet quad and hexacore AMD rigs to be had for cheap I have to wonder how big a market there will be for a fourth console and as others have pointed out Linux and gaming generally don't go well together. With the other consoles going X86 multi-platform will most likely be the norm and having such a huge library i find it hard to see how folks will pick this over an affordable Windows PC that will game AND do everything else.

faust_67

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Sorry for asking what might be a stupid question. I am not a gamer at all, but I try to keep informed about everything related to computers. What is so special about the steam box? Is it a console running on Linux (I don't understand the issue with Windows/Mac games being not compatible)? I could g0ogle the difference, but I am sure someone might be able to explain that to me without the noise of someone trying to "sell" or "shooting down" the product?

newidea17

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
---- "Microsoft didn't think iPads and tablets were a big threat either.
---- Just sayin'. "

I still think they're just giant ipods.... Just sayin'.

Sook Meehof

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Steambox would be ok but you could do better by building your own steambox around ITX form factor. Would be much more powerful than other consoles and have alot more freedow to do what you want.

Junoh315

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

They also announced the SteamOS. This means that you can make any PC a Steam Box. The new controller looks pretty interesting as well.

SOURCE: http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/

Status
Not open for further replies.