Microsoft Studios Halts Development of Age of Empires Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]pinhedd[/nom]perhaps game studios will now stop creating free-to-play/pay-to-win bullshit[/citation]

There's a fine line between F2P and P2W...

Some games do it well, others, well, they don't last long.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Kinda sucks because I like GPG as a studio.I wonder what there next project is?[/citation]

Saturday night spell check fail..."their" is what I meant.

Ironslice

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I miss the days of Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Flight Simulator and other great games that Microsoft stopped making. Thank God they're still making Halo, but I wish there was a PC version :/

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I honestly didn't mind the free-to-play nature of it, what did bother me was that the game simply wouldn't run well even though I have a GTX 670, an Ivy Bridge i5-3507K, and a 128GB m4 SSD.

Keep your extra content, the game has enough as is, but PLEASE fix the bugs. One shouldn't have to choose between terrible screen stutter and horrible mouse lag.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]There's a fine line between F2P and P2W...Some games do it well, others, well, they don't last long.[/citation]

the line is this

if you can get anything in game realistically (as in you don't spend months on that one thing) through hard work, than it isnt pay to win.

if they allow you to buy a weapon instead of earning it, it still isn't pay to win. not everyone has time to play till level 50 or 100 (depending on the game) and than unlock the weapon, allowing more casual players to unlock weapons like that is great, especially if its planet side 2 style, where no gun is a upgrade, they are all just different flavors.

if you can only get certain camo packs or colors through buying them, again its not pay to win.

now, if you have to spend money to get the best guns, than you go pay to win
if you lock out item types from people who dont pay, its pay to win.

it gets annoying when i read about pay to win all the damn time and every time i read it its not a pay to win game its just cosmetic crap or a shortcut to better weapons.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
I miss the days of Strategy games, turn based became real time, but it was still stratgic, and GPG did an amazing with Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. I had to best interface and scaling EVER. God I wish they make a SC3 or FA2, like most games, you got us on the game play, just update the graphics.

largg

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Bring back an up to date Age of Mythology. I loved that game and still play it from time to time.

G

the successor to supreme commander is gonna be Planetary Annihilation (look for it on kickstarter)

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]In other news, many people learn that Age of Empires Online does exist.[/citation]
Tried the past few days when the news hit the net. I can't remember the last time a game gave me such a hassle until actually playing it..

Download GFWL, try to install the game and fail because it downloads in C which didn't have enough space, waste time trying to make room and give up, make a symbolic link to another drive, finish install. Make Live ID, make xbox live account, try to get free key and fail because the game is somehow not available in my region (and I couldn't find a way to change the region on the xbox live account). After that, I changed my IP to another country with TOR hoping to activate the game that way. This presented me with a different xbox live account on the same live ID. Get key after being asked for billing info on a free game. Enter game, log in, surprise, the game logs in the first xbox live ID which couldn't activate...

After a long while of venting my rage, I made another Live ID and went through the retarded xbox live account and billing part. If only there was a light at the end of this sh*t tunnel, but the only thing that I found was a functional game with a horrible grind.

Good thing Age of Mythology is here to wash the filth.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the line is thisif you can get anything in game realistically (as in you don't spend months on that one thing) through hard work, than it isnt pay to win. if they allow you to buy a weapon instead of earning it, it still isn't pay to win. not everyone has time to play till level 50 or 100 (depending on the game) and than unlock the weapon, allowing more casual players to unlock weapons like that is great, especially if its planet side 2 style, where no gun is a upgrade, they are all just different flavors. if you can only get certain camo packs or colors through buying them, again its not pay to win.now, if you have to spend money to get the best guns, than you go pay to winif you lock out item types from people who dont pay, its pay to win. it gets annoying when i read about pay to win all the damn time and every time i read it its not a pay to win game its just cosmetic crap or a shortcut to better weapons.[/citation]
camo packs give an advantage... making players harder to see... giving a serious advantage.

that's pay to win

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
[citation][nom]largg[/nom]Bring back an up to date Age of Mythology. I loved that game and still play it from time to time.[/citation]
I used to think AoM was good. Then I tried Warcraft 3. I was hooked. I tried AoM a few years later and it SUCKED! Warcraft 3 blew it out of the water. Obviously both are dated now so meh. AoE 1 was always my favorite, followed closely by AoE 2.

In other news: gonna install AoE Online today.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]Pherule[/nom]I used to think AoM was good. Then I tried Warcraft 3. I was hooked. I tried AoM a few years later and it SUCKED! Warcraft 3 blew it out of the water. Obviously both are dated now so meh. AoE 1 was always my favorite, followed closely by AoE 2.In other news: gonna install AoE Online today.[/citation]
Warcraft 3 (for me) sucked in comparison to Age of Mythology. I spent MANY a night without sleep playing that before school.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
AOE-O was ok but it kept a great studio busy, now when its done - Perhaps GPG can get back to their real RTS's. Hopefully a Supreme Commander 3 (NOT in the stupidified SC2 style!) or at least continue that Kingdoms that was suspended when AOE-O came along...

aredeecee

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
[citation][nom]Ironslice[/nom]I miss the days of Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Flight Simulator and other great games that Microsoft stopped making. Thank God they're still making Halo, but I wish there was a PC version[/citation]

The decision behind Microsoft removing Halo from the PC platform was to force die hard Halo fans into buying the XBOX.

It's all about leverage.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]camo packs give an advantage... making players harder to see... giving a serious advantage.that's pay to win[/citation]

what game does camo play a serious roll in? because i honestly cant say i have played one yet.
all i can think is maybe a sniping game... but other than that, camo in games inst to hide you, its to make you look different.

Status
Not open for further replies.