Microsoft Sued Over Windows 8 Live Tiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

sslapikas

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Soon, very soon we will have time when everyone will be able to sue everyone for anything because at any time in future they had an idea about round wheel or even patented wheel with different type of roundness. Happy days for lawyers!
I am going to sue every youngster who born on same day as me and have same name just because I did this first! Had to choose another day you losers! :)

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]So, what about Apple and Google? Why just Microsoft?[/citation]
Because Apple and Google use static icons, not live tiles. Just a thought.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Sheez! What a bunch of creeps,.. this guys from SurfCast!!!

They had like what,. A Developer Preview,. a Consumer Preview and a Release Preview,.. to notice that MS might be infringing there patents and then they just watched it get on sale so that they could milk MS!!! They're the worst!!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Since there are very few new ideas, any time someone implements anything, others will claim infringement. Success and profit through litigation...the business model of the 21st century!

arcticfury

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
What is with all these companies waiting months to years after Windows 8 Developer, Consumer, and Release Previews plus hundreds of reviews and demonstrations released CLEARLY showing what Microsoft's "Metro" apps do.

They can't even use the "Metro" name for their app style anymore because a German retailer decided to wait until a couple months prior to release to issue a trademark warning to Microsoft.

All these features and trademark names [Live Tiles and "Metro" Apps] have been common knowledge among the industry since Windows Phone 7 released way back in November 2010.

Seems like other companies are strategically waiting to sue when it will hurt Microsoft most: right at release of their flagship product, Windows 8.

Intellectual property law sure seems like a rather cold calculating dirty business.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
This reminds me of when Microsoft sued a company for using Excel as the name of their product, in the end Microsoft lost the case and had to change the name of their own product. Stealing someone else things can be costly, I hope that Apple has to pay a hefty price for the clock in iOS5.

_TuxUser_

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]Sheez! What a bunch of creeps,.. this guys from SurfCast!!!They had like what,. A Developer Preview,. a Consumer Preview and a Release Preview,.. to notice that MS might be infringing there patents and then they just watched it get on sale so that they could milk MS!!! They're the worst!!!![/citation]

Microsoft has tried the same before, I just see it as payback time for bad habits and using GPL code without releasing patches and include the GPL license with a product.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Surfcast are a Company located in beautiful Portland, Maine where I reside.They have never shipped a product and their website is a joke.These guys are nothing but scumbag Patent Trolls.
]Go to their Contact Page and send them a nasty email.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Look at the SurfCast website.... They're not going to win this lawsuit. I think they should have to pay for the lawyers that Microsoft is being forced to hire. This is some BS fucking wasting money.

Seriously getting annoyed at the US patent system allowing people to patent end results, not the method to get there. You know if this was allowed in any other industry companies would go ballistic. Bad car analogy but honestly its like saying a car with 4 windows, or a car with rounded edges, lord this system is jacked up.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]_TuxUser_[/nom]Microsoft has tried the same before, I just see it as payback time for bad habits and using GPL code without releasing patches and include the GPL license with a product.[/citation]

They may have done that in the past,. but that doesn't merit Surfcast to redo it,. they have more than enough time to warn MS about this, they knew MS would release it,. waiting for MS to finalize and sell the product is a clear sign that they simply want to file damages and thus receive payments when they could have stop MS from selling it in the first place.

lorribot

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Will the US patent office let me take out a patent on my route to work? Would that then encompass any route from any home location to any place of work?

Really the patent principle has been dragged in to the gutter with senseless applications for generic and non specific things. How Apple can patent a design (it should have been copyright if anything) is beyond me.
Now we have square sections of screen that provide updatable data from servers (where else would the data come from?) and it all hinges on whether the patent refers to it's own servers or servers generally, its really quite farcical. It must be something that has been done previously, widgets, adverts on web pages, Windows 98 live desktop and even PIP on your telly all spring to mind as prior incarnations of the same thing so therefore the Patent should be invalid anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.