Microsoft Surface 2: We Go Hands On

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The price was half the problem with the SurfaceRT. WindowsRT was the other half of the problem. Obviously Microsoft didn't learn anything the first go around.....

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Look, if you have some influence at Microsoft, by all mean wipe this tablet off the face of the earth and good riddance. If you don't have that kind of power and actually care about Microsoft products, stop all that hate and wish it success because it looks like it's gonna stay. If Microsoft is gonna waste a ton of cash on it, they might as well make it great in the end. If there is enough user base, more apps will be developed for the store and that will benefit other Windows 8 users.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Looks pretty decent. The new touch cover is backlit and yet still sheds 1mm over the last one, which was already pretty svelte. The two-step kickstand is very nice - especially if it has the same quality and feel as the previous gen. I'm glad they're using the better panel, matching the Pro model. Based on the old one I'd be willing to bet this is a well-built, solid unit.

I'd like to know what SoC is in it, and what clocks, etc.

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I think taking out the RT in the naming will just confuse even more the average consumer. Just judging by the naming Surface Pro 2 just sounds like a Surface 2 with better hardware when it in truth it has a totally different OS. RT is better than no naming at all! Now Surface 2 will sound a lot more like a x86 device than an ARM device.

This is like Comcast rebranding as xfiniti. Maybe no-one will notice it's the same company that was at the bottom of customer satisfaction for years. Maybe buyer's won't notice it's the same OS version they did not want to deal with before.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Imagine all the sad people who buy this thinking it is a lighter (feature wise) version of the Surface Pro 2. Bahaahahhahhaaaa

maxumus

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
I own a surface RT and don’t get why people hate it cost me $350 my mother just bought a Samsung tab 3 for $400. And it can't do a quarter of the things my surface can do people that hate are idiots.
I hope Windows keeps this RT going why people say for this price might as well get so and so laptops are under $300 now you don’t like RT buy a laptop and shut it. Most 10 inch tablets are 400 plus (Samsung tab 3 ~$375 And the note 10.1 is over $400) this is windows tablet its note a full blown computer get a grip its closer to a computer than any other tablet with a arm cpu and all people can say is kill the RT and trash it because what it’s not a full Windows OS well then kill Chromebooks because they suck I know two people that bought them then brought it back. If having two Windows OS (windows/ Windows RT) confuses you then you should not be trolling on a tech site plan and simple Windows plan is a good one but is being held down by simple minded haters
Example:
Mac: Compatablity wise
Mac OS (X “Maverick”) ≠ Ipad (OS 7) : (no apps work together)
Chrome book (Chrome OS) ≠ Android Tablet (Jelly Bean) (some maybe apps work together (play movies music))
Windows PC (windows 8) = Windows RT (all apps are synced all songs integrated drop box, Office etc..)

Slightly bias but imagine cross platform sync among devices if chosen Windows is the only one in a position to do so

maxumus

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
continued..

1. Surface price (original) is $350 cheap/normal for a good 10 inch tablet
2. Multi user login.
3. USB built in and I can plug just about anything even my Creative labs tactic Alpha USB gaming headset, Any thumb drive, web cams, printers etc.. its hard to find something it cant recognize. Huge plus
4. Type or touch covers that magnetically clips and folds over screen. (kinda expensive)
5. Comes with FULL version of office 2013.
6. Has windows desktop very easy to navigate file directories especially with to new explorer ribbon with copy to, move to, select all shortcuts yes I know it was all there before hidden somewhat. Icon driven
7. To the people at my job bragging about their Samsungs tablets that can do dual view. Wow bragging about something that was done in windows years ago. Surface does that in desktop view and “app” view in any program not just a selected few and its easier; just swipe down and to the side and with 8.1 you chose what size of the screen it takes up.

maxumus

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Continue
8. Wifi printers; no need for apps or e-print mine hooks up directly to them like a computer (print only). With HP app my large format hp office jet 7500A all the function (scan/print) work same with my pinnacle 90? Lexmark (numbers may be off).
9. As far as power the Tegra 3 is more than enough never had a problem.
10. Not a big deal but Picture pin code login is cool.
11. Hook up Microsoft 360 controller or many others and it WORKs with games as an input I bought a controller for my Samsung S3 and found out it just does a directional pad bought an analog one and it needs an app that taps into a few Popular games (at the time about a year ago) Point is there is no universal controller input there has to be a bridge between controller (driver) and app (this is why windows works Android is not mature enough to have this as a standard) it’s the wild west.
12. live tile is great read a review of a apple sheep thinking he knows what people want in a computer. The name of the article was something like: “Why Windows live tile is useless and why apple is not worried” dumbest article ever written with not consecpt of how it works and why some people would like to use it.
a. Live tiles can be shut off
b. live tile info and be cleared
c. don’t have to go into app to get simple info
d. tiles can be grouped and resized (yes like android)(androids widgets are better useful in its quickness to use)

maxumus

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
13. Built in kickstand it’s not a big deal but cool to have.
14. MicroSD (yes apple and google nexus)
15. HDMI out (with special cable)
16. Metal casing and

maxumus

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Things I hate about Surface:
1. Music app is horrid only have mp3 I bought on it and still makes me watch commercials and now since 8.1 preview the commercials don’t play they just go in limbo and when you back out to replay it plays the song and commercial at the same time ( my internet connection is fine) {easy fix get different music app}
2. Screen resolution is 1366 x 768 not bad but compared to others.
3. Wifi continuity is lost 50% time it goes into sleep mode using battery.
4. Surface RT needs special HDMI connector (the pro uses a more popular connector)
5. Main reason people may hate the surface RT is the amount of apps (but it is getting better)
6. Stylus for the pro does not fully function with RT (requires different touch screen so not surprised) but Samsung Note has a cool stylus at this price range

aracheb

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
waiting for the time when they go on Fire sale like HP did so i can buy one for every bathroom in my house and one to probably read manga on the roof of the house when i fixing something.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed that this refresh has virtually nothing new vs. the original releases. Minus changing the name...

Using a more powerful SoC is fine and dandy, but there's so little discernible innovation change, it's disappointing.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
My Surface RT with 8.1 is awesome. I've had two iPads and some Android stuff. The Surface sucked with Windows 8 and rules with 8.1. It's a stark difference and I much prefer it to any other tablet. Actually... HP's ElitePad 900 is really nice with the 4G chip in it. I took that on an extended trip instead of my PC and it worked fine.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Ethan, I hear you there. The 8.1 preview is a *huge* boon as a mobile user, doing away with a lot of my biggest complaints (multitasking related and having an "available offline" option for Skydrive). My biggest hitch on even considering one was that it didn't allow for offline Skydrive storage/access with just Windows 8 - a MASSIVE oversight - but 8.1 cures this. Anyone out there with a Surface RT, I'd strongly recommend getting the 8.1 developer's preview. I've found it every bit as stable as the stock Windows 8, but the functionality improvements are huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.