Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is Thinnest Intel Core i-series Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

frelled

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I just don't get why these need such High Res screens. The onboard video isn't going to be able to do much at that resolution. At 12", I think 1080p is just fine.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Wonder if it comes with Nvidia Optimus technology that uses a second GPU for more computing power?

No. There will be no dedicated GPU in it. How is it supposed to fit? This thing is only 9.1mm thick...

frelled wrote:
I just don't get why these need such High Res screens. The onboard video isn't going to be able to do much at that resolution. At 12", I think 1080p is just fine.
But they are competing against other tablets with high resolutions. People are more interested in comparing spec's than practicality at times.

harly2

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007

No, if a windows OEM wanted graphics in this form factor they would use iris pro or AMD APU

ElusiveSpy

Reputable
Apr 12, 2014
So soon? As a surface pro 2 owner, I kinda feel like I'm being short changed. Oh well, I do sincerely hope this will be a success even though I have some reservations about that aspect ratio. They should make a slimmer non pro surface 3 with an on of those new atom processors and full windows and a $300 price tag IMO.

notsleep

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
the aspect ratio caught me by surprise. why microsoft why? :p
i wait for the review of the battery powered stylus. i would like to use this to draw stuff but the 256 level pressure kinda puts me off. :(

Frankly, I'm surprised they would be increasing the resolution when the Windows ecosystem already has such abysmal support for HiDPI applications; or rather, they with Windows, though the end result is the same.

I love my SP2, but the hiDPI issues are probably my biggest gripe with it.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
But can it run Crysis? Really, can it? If so, buh-bye Desktop. My only concern would be long-term battery life and having the ability to replace it once it no longer lasts anywhere near the expected amount of hours.

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
the aspect ratio caught me by surprise. why microsoft why? :p
i wait for the review of the battery powered stylus. i would like to use this to draw stuff but the 256 level pressure kinda puts me off. :(

Hmm... wonder if they dumped the Wacom tech, then...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Did any of you actually watch the webcast? Most of your gripes and moans are addressed, simple stats are nothing without context. Watch the webcast, then moan, just because you can.

dfusco

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
It looks like they are giving up on taking on the Tablet market. At 12" and 1.8 pounds it's too bulky and heavy. So now they try to take on the Notebook market as the device slowly morphs into an ultrabook.

This is the pro with full fledged i3, i5 and i7's. These are not the cheap tablets with ARM chips.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I'm actually really impressed by this version of the Surface. I'm so glad they went to a 3:2 aspect ratio, to all the naysayers, pull your face out of your 1080p asses. This is 2160x1440. That's the same number of horizontal lines as a high-end 27" display, things are going to look super crisp. 3:2 is a far superior aspect ratio for getting any real work done. 16:9 with a huge amount of vertical chopped off is for kids' stuff. Plus an aspect ratio closer to a perfect square gives you more overall area at the same diagonal vs more rectangular. Anyways, besides the aspect ratio rant, this tablet kills it with a Core i3/i5/i7 and even the pen concept looks super duper sharp. It's close to the side of a 8.5 x 11" piece of paper which is perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.