Microsoft Surface Used as a Big Games Controller

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Even with the incredible advance of technology, they still haven't found a way to replace decades old technology like the mouse and joystick. Touchscreens are useful for certain task but the computer mouse is proving to be very resilient.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Flight sim doesn't seem like the best game to replace the physical interface. The whole point is to use a joystick (like a real plane). I was thinking that they would just make the cockpit buttons all touch-interactive while keeping the joystick real.

It's an interesting concept but might need game developer support to really have a chance at replacing gamepads or joysticks.
Until then a dedicated game pad/joystick and maybe some support programs like www.touch-buddy.com seem to have the edge in overall usability.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Great technology and is a step in the right direction. BUT ergonomics is the flaw. The screen must be able to tilt since I cant imagine people hunching over an old school style game table. Of course this is a prototype so far from a finished product.

I cant wait until I can fully control a game with my mind, but until then this may be a step closer ;-)

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
I doubt I would ever like something where I can't rest my hands in a comfortable position. As least a mouse and keyboard can be ergonomically shaped. I'm also thinking that my neck would be too sore from having to lean over to look at the screen like that...I'm 6' 4" with big hands that would cover way too much of the screen. Nah, I'll pass on this one.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The biggest problem with this is the inevitable game-induced frustration that leads to you putting your fist through the screen. With a mouse or other ruggedized controller it's pretty easy to take out some frustration with a few well placed table slams and still go right back to playing (maybe after a few swear words are shouted). Getting pissed at one of these giant glass machines will only end badly.

G

Touchscreen for pc/games is great until you imagine yourself sitting like you are now and with your hands on the screen constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.