Microsoft Suspends Win 7/8.1 Updates For Intel Kaby Lake, AMD Ryzen CPUs

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ihateregister

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Microsoft is trying to be Facebook, and this latest move is a push to force users to let them know what you do with your computer at all times. I love how every time you update Windows either manually or automatically: it randomly uninstalls software, or changes your settings to keep Cortana and your privacy public. As for background processes, it doesn't take a genius to disable background indexing, WiFi sharing, window update sharing, and a multitude of other incredibly annoying settings that do not benefit the average user in any way. Ironically when I was forced to do a do an install of Windows I noticed alot of bugs I was having went away on my 4K monitor. Here's to hoping software makers take note and stop developing on the windows platform.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
There is a difference between saying xxx is unsuported, and make it so xxx does not work at all.

Saying it was unsupported was just fine. But patching so it will not work is crossing the line in my opinion.

That said, i have a ryzen on windows 7, and it so far this chip is amazing. Havent had any windows issues, except migrating a windows 7 istall from the old computer to the new one. Once i delt with that, its been perfect.

ITFT

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2012
M$ really had issues! I was hoping for a good Windows 10 but the amount of junk it sends of the internet and waste my CPU/RAM is truly amazing. I mean ALL you had to do is to make a new Windows 7 FFS, THAT IS ALL. Even if it had exactly the same design, just new core (stable core) and people (a lot of them) would've moved to Win10 then, now I'm sitting with Win 7 and waiting for Win 11 hopefully M$ will learn a lesson by then. Seriosuly - look at Valve - Counter Strike GO game they made the same bloody game with new graphics as 15 years ago and people buy it and happy with that - learn M$ learn.

D

Deleted member 1560910

My understanding is that 8.1 still is very much being support till the end of next year yet i cant buy the latest gen CPU for my system. I hate windows for crap like this.

Chris_361

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
The ONLY reason i bought a new computer is because it came with Win 7 pro on it , i used Win 10 for about 6 weeks and it was one of the most horrific experiences i have ever been subjected to in my life , no joke .

Was close to death and almost didn't make it , thank God for Skylake.

SuperFist

Honorable
Mar 23, 2017
I couldn't care less! I turn off updates on my Windows 7 PC. Something you can't do on Windows 10, which is why I will never DOWNGRADE!!! Plus I don't like the amount of access Microsoft built into Windows 10 for themselves... Don't trust 'em!

somebassplayer

Honorable
Sep 4, 2016

o_O

lol

iveres

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Lot of times Microsoft is acting like dictator, so we have to do what Microsoft wants and the way Microsoft like. I have also troubles sometimes with win 100, lot of background processes take the processor time, not a surprise if we know that most of driver programs are alone bigger than for ex. the whole win 3.1.

dvillaire

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Windows 7 end of support is 2020 so they should provide updates until that point. This is just another way to force people onto they crappy new OS. If their OS was good to begin with, this would not be an issue.

kyotokid

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010

...I would so love to move to Linux and no longer have to concern myself with MS and "the last operating system I ever want on my system" (W10), however none of the 3D CG software I use supports it and running them under Wine is just too bloody unstable. Don't have the financial resources for programmes that do run in Linux like Modo or Maya, nor (being in my 60s) do not have another lifetime in which to figure out Blender and it's clunky UI to where I could accomplish what I already can do.

Fortunately my next build (primarily a rendering system) will be using dual Sandy Bridge Xeons and 128 GB of quad channel DDR3 1600 so I can still use Win7 Pro. Pretty much giving GPU rendering a pass for now as I'm somewhat burned out on the "GPU power race" as well as the complexity and detail of my scenes along with the render quality I am striving for would make even a GTX 1080 Ti or Pascal Titan X tremble in its PCIe slot.

dvillaire

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

dvillaire

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

dvillaire

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
I think you missed the point of the comment. Microsoft can't tell users something will be supported until this date and then tell them new hardware will not be included after the fact. This is not a good policy to both business and private customers.

I do use all flavors of Windows as well as several flavors of Linux. Of the Windows flavors, Windows 7 was by far the best in configurability, very stable and usable in comparison. On the other hand, Windows 10 is a stable system but they force you into features that are not ideal for the power user, but the home user, yes. This OS more suited for the users that use many other mobile devices, hence Microsoft's idea of having a single OS function across all platforms.

I still prefer my Windows 7 and Linux systems over Windows 10 any day of the week. Of all of the IT people I have spoken with, most agree as well.

people just don't realize what new hardware is coming, new memory technology that will mean that the OS will have to be redesigned. Systems with out hard drives or solid state drives, just a big block of high speed non volatile memory.

Windows 7 is licensed to be installed on certain compatible hardware platforms. Microsoft does not have to migrate it to new hardware if they don't want to. There is nothing preventing the Hardware vendor from making drivers for the new hardware.

Yes, new hardware platforms do require updates to the old windows code. There are so many bugs in that old code that the new driver developers no longer work around the old bugs. Even as new bugs are found and fixed in various CPUs Microsoft has to update the dll code they run to patch the BIOS microcode for the various CPU versions.

in the end, windows 7 will go the way of DOS, win 95, OS/2 and all of the other old microsoft operating systems.

people who run windows 7 are not paying microsoft windows customers anymore. Just like os/2, dos, windows 95 ...

redrooster01

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2013
These American corporations cant be trusted to act as good corporate citizens and need to be regulated again as they were before Clinton gave them free reign. Its not just MS screwing us all over.

No, it does not cost Microsoft money to "migrate" windows 7 over to new hardware because there are no changes that need to be made to support new CPUs in the OS level beyond small optimizations which aren't necessary for the system to work well enough. Furthermore, Windows 7 was already made with SSDs in mind, so that'ts not an issue either. Your entire argument falls apart when we look at all the reports of Windows 7 having considerably better performance with Ryzen than Windows 10. While it's not a large difference, it is large for a difference in operating systems. In the past, comparing Windows 7 to 8 didn't have nearly so large a difference in performance.

LOL, sure it costs money, you have to maintain build environment, test beds and automation to test the builds, you have to pay the dev, test, program management and support people, do you know how many different languages windows builds have to be produced in? each localized language can be done at a different site and requires its own infrastructure to be duplicated. Why would you do this for a product you no longer sell and is being used by many people because it is easy to steal? Even on tomshardware a large portion of the users of windows 7 are running pirate copies. (I can see this from the various memory dumps that are submitted)
You have to consider that OEMs don't want to go and maintain old drivers either and they are not going to provide driver updates to Microsoft after a certain point. Even maintaining the windows update system costs money, the fault system uses network bandwidth and server storage.

Who would want Microsoft to push out windows 7 updates without actually testing them?
There will always be a cost to Microsoft to make a update.

Windows 7 is in the process of an extended death

Status
Not open for further replies.