Microsoft Suspends Windows April Update For Some Systems With Intel SSDs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
I installed a Intel 905P optane drive yesterday.

last night windows installed the new April build.

This morning it is running just fine.

So the 905P does not appear to be effected in anyway.

hvdwl65

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017

Not just Intel SSDs...I have a WD M.2 256 card plus A Samsung Evo 256 SSD...Tried upgrade Win 10 Spring edition and it bricked my system...a constant UEFI reboot loop...took me 5 hours to to set things right...Thanks a lot MS!!!

May 9, 2018
This is not a new issue. I have an Intel 750 SSD, and have this problem starting with the Fall 2017 Creators Update for W10. Now, when I boot, I get a huge msg saying I will no longer get security updates for my outdated W10. I was hoping the issue would be solved with this Spring 2018 creators update. I have the MSI X99A MPower motherboard, and there are a lot of people with the Intel or Samsung drives that can't do updates. Microsoft and MSI don't seem to care. What happens is the large update starts to install, and on reboot, I get a blue screen, it can't see the drive. A reset at that point allows it to boot back into W10, but without the update.

May 9, 2018
Well, my drive that freezes in my new i7 any time I tried 1803 is the intel ssdpekkw256G7. It only did it when I was under battery power though. As is the experience with other 600 series users.

May 9, 2018
my 1803 freeze is with the intel ssdpekkw256G7. Reverted to 1709 after a couple of tries with 1803. In my case, freeze was always on battery power. On ac, 1803 was okay.

waltsmith

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
I just had to roll back 2 of my family laptops from the new cumulative update from 5/9. One an Acer I5 with 950M graphics and whatever cheapo 500g HDD came with it. (Not sure of model,would have to crack the warranty sticker to find out.) And my personal MSI laptop, an I7 with 960m graphics. It has a msata samsung 500GB SSD as boot drive and a 500GB Mushkin Stryker SSD as storage. Same crap on both, on boot they get stuck at the black screen with the circling dots forever.

May 10, 2018
Update to April 2018 version worked well for 2 days then we got the cummalative update to this with KB4103721 which casues the infinite boot. Took me hours to roll back the system. Have now used the "wushowhide" tool to prevent this resinstalling, plus switched off all updates for 35 days (feature in WU advanced features) after making sure all the other non-rubbish updates had installedOK, just to be safe and for MS to sort out their mess.

Plumboby

Respectable
Apr 18, 2016
got the 1803 on an intel ssd no issues so far tho I done clean install so it eliminated an issue. Word or warning with Microsofts 6monthly updates of the next version install fresh off usb bootable media as the normall windows updates has a tendancy to scrable drivers.

May 9, 2018
If your 1803 on an Intel ssd seems to be working fine.... be SURE to reboot ONLY on battery power and verify all is fine after 10 minutes or so only on battery. It's while on battery power that 1803 loses contact with the Intel ssd and freezes on my new i7 laptop. Just an fyi to check out.

May 10, 2018
I updated to #1 Toshiba P75-A7200 with a cruical SSD / Toshiba HDD and #2 Toshiba L655D-S5095 with HDD. The April update went well, it was the 2018-05 MAY update that rendered BOTH laptops useless - BLACK SCREEN with white dots circling in middle of lower part of screen. So this is not limited to SSD by INTEL as the L655D doesn't have an SSD. For all the years of trust I have put in Microsoft - this has me considering APPLE and I hate APPLE!!!!

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
This is why i use windows 10 on my laptop but not my gaming tower. I am not taking a chance with windows 10 till things settle down. Major updates every 6 months is just too disruptive for me. Something always breaks. Stability over features for me.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
When are they going to free dx12 and msft store to win7 and win 8.1, that's THE ONLY THING hold back some people from upgrading to those better OS's.

jmcgaw

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

Works fine on two different systems with SATA-connected Samsung SSDs and one with an M.2-connected Samsung. I suspect that any SSD with a SATA interface would be immune to such problems.

hvdwl65

Prominent
Sep 4, 2017
Don't know what to tell you, I built my own system for cgi work..I have an Asus X99 usb3.1 Pro....I had to do a complete re-install lost all my apps (but all were backed up) now the system runs fine, I am very reluctant to install any of my graphics apps....as far as security upgrades...to hell with them, I have a pretty good security system to protect my machine. I used to be a programmer...and the way I was taught was test, test, then test again which is something MS should aspire to...If it wasn't for the Graphics packages I have I would seriously consider Linux..sorry I haven't been much help.

quallen

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
intel might have a set of custom protocols baked it to the SDD along with the others listed. If so they might the problem, and why only intel is getting burned on this.

quallen

Reputable
Aug 5, 2014
intel might have a set of custom protocols baked it to the SDD along with the others listed. If so they might the problem, and why only intel is getting burned on this.

mcconkeymike

Distinguished

If you read the other comments, you'll see that it isn't just Intel. I had a WD Black NVMe, a WD Blue SSD, and an Intel 600p that all required reloading after recent updates. Others have stated the same issues with Samsung.

stdragon

Admirable
Linux had a bug a few years ago where if you used SSDs in RAID, data would get corrupted upon issuing TRIM commands to the drives. That bug is not to be confused with an entirely separate issue involving Linux and Samsung 840 Pro / 850 Pro drives; in that instance, Samsung issued a firmware update that resolved an NCQ TRIM issue that would corrupt data as well.

Short version: If it's with many SSD make/models, it's a Windows issue. If it's just Intel, they've got a firmware issue.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
@stdragon Just so you're aware, Windows is based on NT, which had a built in Unix-like platform long before Apple even considered using something better than MacOS. Microsoft has gradually removed that as it became a direct competitor with the arrival of Linux. OSX, or whatever Apple calls it these days, is infinitely more stable than the 90's MacOS. That was however not a big ask, as MacOS was notoriously flimsy in the end, basically causing Apple to go bankrupt as they couldn't sell any computers. Don't mix that up with what Windows does.

stdragon

Admirable

Windows NT (New Technology) was developed for business use. The first consumer version of NT was with Windows XP and continues on to this day as Windows 10 and beyond. MSDOS based lineage died with Windows ME. There's nothing Unix-like about NT other than it having support for POSIX. But the kernels are not even based on a common core AT ALL in code. In fact, NT was technically a hybrid kernel whereas Unix is monolithic. Apple isn't, and never was in the corporate computing market. It's why you can't even buy a specialized Apple Server these days. Whatever Apple does cater too, it's in multimedia creativity development and as people bring devices to work via BYOD. None of this is new. Apple didn't beat Microsoft at the market, they just expanded the one they were already in.

That all said, given the superiority of OSX in terms of security, it ought to be replacing Windows in the corporate world. But it doesn't and won't, because Apple has no intention of competing with Microsoft in that market segment. Again, it's not that Apple can't, they just don't care too.

May 11, 2018
Updated, 5/10/2018, 12:30pm PT: Microsoft has updated its post outlining the bug and listed the impacted Intel SSDs. ---- Would have been of more use if you gave us the details instead of the glitter.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012

Half the facts makes them sound pretty awesome, right? What about the other rather important half? Which year did they drop support for the 32-bit based laptops they sold? Wasn't it around three years after they sold the last one? For a laptop around $1,000? That's pretty crappy service if you'd ask me. Meanwhile, Microsoft is still updating operating systems all the way back to Vista and they're even updating Windows XP for enterprises. Licenses those cheap companies bought in 2001. :) ...and they're even taking the high road regarding reducing malware on pirated software as they know a large part of countries like China are still running pirated XP on tens of millions computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.