Microsoft Takes Cues from Gmail with New Hotmail

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think it's a little too late, I got turned off from Hotmail a long time ago, but who knows this might just get me to change my opinion.

Tyellock

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I hope with the new improvements copied from GMail, they'll let you POP it to an email client. Even if it's only restricted to Outlook, it is a MS product that you have paid for.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hotmail is a waste in this day and age with MSN and texts. If it could send photos better than it might have a use but sending photoes in bulk by email is almost impossible. If hotmail increase the size of allowed attachments to actually allow more than one photo at a time I might consider using email again. ATM im not happy with hotmail or gmail, only reason I still have either is for MSN, signing up to things online and backing up contacts and the calander on my phone. The last thing I don't need since outlook can handle it as does blackberry manager but it gave me a use for my gmail and a third option. contacts take the most basic of data rather than all i have saved which is a shame but thats better than Hotmail which fails to sync at all so its a non starter there. Both offerings fall short in a lot of areas in my eyes.

What both hotmail and gmail need:-
1. Larger attachments to take multi photos
2. Sync contacts and calander properly with phones
3.A simpler interface. While hotmail is pretty simple it still seems cluttered
4. Some sort of desktop app. MSN is ok but the amount of crashes and version clashes and virus's is a joke. Not to mention when you get mail you need to open the browser and sign in anyway.

darkscorpion20

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]Hotmail is a waste in this day and age with MSN and texts. If it could send photos better than it might have a use but sending photoes in bulk by email is almost impossible. If hotmail increase the size of allowed attachments to actually allow more than one photo at a time I might consider using email again. ATM im not happy with hotmail or gmail, only reason I still have either is for MSN, signing up to things online and backing up contacts and the calander on my phone. The last thing I don't need since outlook can handle it as does blackberry manager but it gave me a use for my gmail and a third option. contacts take the most basic of data rather than all i have saved which is a shame but thats better than Hotmail which fails to sync at all so its a non starter there. Both offerings fall short in a lot of areas in my eyes. What both hotmail and gmail need:-1. Larger attachments to take multi photos2. Sync contacts and calander properly with phones3.A simpler interface. While hotmail is pretty simple it still seems cluttered4. Some sort of desktop app. MSN is ok but the amount of crashes and version clashes and virus's is a joke. Not to mention when you get mail you need to open the browser and sign in anyway.[/citation]

You clearly have never used either of their services and did not read the message above at all.

G

I might give this a shot. the reason why i use gmail is to chat.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]They need to move away from Silverlight and go to HTML5, or their interface is slow....[/citation]
If you ever used bing for directions it's hardly slow in getting and displaying pictures...

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I need free imap. That's why I switched to gmail long time ago. Another reason I hate hotmail now days is that they have those super annoying advertising banners on the right side.

jaethos

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I run my hotmail through a client, so I won't get any of these enhancements. I don't know that I'll miss them though.

G

[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]They need to move away from Silverlight and go to HTML5, or their interface is slow....[/citation]
I agree with your statement but I disagree with your reason. Silverlight is impressive in terms of speed when put up against flash and java, granted not as fast as HTML5 but it certainly isn't slow. The problem with Silverlight is that it is only supported on windows with either firefox or IE as of last I heard (so chrome/linux is out of the question.)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]1337_b0i[/nom]I agree with your statement but I disagree with your reason. Silverlight is impressive in terms of speed when put up against flash and java, granted not as fast as HTML5 but it certainly isn't slow. The problem with Silverlight is that it is only supported on windows with either firefox or IE as of last I heard (so chrome/linux is out of the question.)[/citation]
So thats still most people then
:)

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Photo editing and video editing on cloud computing is basically like the projected screen in back to the future 2 where marty gets fired via cloud computing at its best................. MACCCCCFRRRYYYYYYY

Status
Not open for further replies.