Microsoft Talks About the Team Building Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

vista all over again.. more like windows 8 is targeted for tablets... guess what will wait till windows 9

anony2004

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
I don't know but this doesn't seem big to me, Vista on the other hand was something that thrilled me and made me wait (I know it is a failure now), maybe because Vista was a big step ahead of XP whereas Windows 8 looks like the same old core given a new outer skin.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
[citation][nom]HansVonOhain[/nom]So far I am not impressed. But people, lets not judge the product until it is released.[/citation]
Actually, I'll judge it as it goes, saving my final judgment for it's RC stage. There's no reason to reserve judgment until post-release when the RC builds are typically 99% identical to the final product. If it feels like a phone OS during RC, it'll feel like one when it goes gold, too.

marshsmello

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Since I installed linux a year ago I could't care less about "the Big Operating System" LOL. All of you who made contributions to this GNU and linux thing, you have my eternal gratitude.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Since I installed linux a year ago I could't care less about "the Big Operating System" LOL. All of you who made contributions to this GNU and linux thing, you have my eternal gratitude.

Lol, I use Linux on a daily basis and can confirm that it's a FAIL for home use. Big-scale networking, servers, VPN? Sure. Home entertainment, gaming, install-then-use scheme? No, that's Windows. I had to do about 7 hours of tweaking for Linux to work properly, and most of that time I was tweaking the driver for my WLAN card, searching for a solution on why my sound card SUDDENLY stopped working (turns out that alsamixer switched on the SPDIF there, overriding the default output) and trying to fix the ugly boot screen - still not done with that one. So unless you feel like working with a terminal half of your time, stay the hell away from Linux. Not worth the trouble.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Not impressed either, which is especially disappointing considering I'm trying to skip Windows 7 because I knew Windows 8 would be out by the time I was ready to build a new system.

I'll try the RC when MS makes it available. I like W7, but some of my critical apps require XP - they won't work on W7. And I'm not spending the big money to replace/upgrade them for W7 or W8.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Actually this is a bald move from them ... the way the PCs tend to evlove now is tablet like ... so why not have an OS with a UI already ready for that also ? See lenovo`s ideea of all in one PC .. 1 monitor with all the insides it it just like Macs. I`m a bit skeptic about the tile system .. but like HansVonOhain already said .. don`t judge the product till it`s realeased. Further more i hope is not a 30 GB OS ..i know we don`t have problems with drive space now but still what the hell the OS has inside for 30 GB.

@marshsmello since you installed linxu a year ago you care enough for the big OS that you take liberty to post about not carring about them.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]RazberyBandit[/nom]Actually, I'll judge it as it goes, saving my final judgment for it's RC stage. There's no reason to reserve judgment until post-release when the RC builds are typically 99% identical to the final product. If it feels like a phone OS during RC, it'll feel like one when it goes gold, too.[/citation]
The problem is, and this has been stated in EVERY article about Windows8. The GUI that microsoft is showing off is the tablet UI, NOT the desktop UI, and idiots such as those have that already posted in regards to it looking like a tablet OS seem to be too STUPID to understand that Windows8 will have more than 1 UI to choose from. Seriously, how hard is it to understand that Windows8 will have multiple UIs???

G

Looks like MS is finally listening to those of us who use our computers hooked up to our TVs and made a UI that will work with that setup.

If it supports my W7 applications and games, I'm there.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I'm sure there will be a 'classic' graphical option so we don't have to look at big phoneOS icons. I'm sure the start menu and the traditional desktop will be an option.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I never realized how bloated Windows was until I switched my 1GB laptop from Vista to Ubuntu. Now I use a third of the RAM that Vista used and that was after a fresh reinstall of the OS and removal of all the bloatware that came with it. If Microsoft doesn't optimize Windows 8 into something lean and for the most part built from the ground up then it will fail. Microsoft can't simply drag and drop from 7 to 8 (like it has done for the last decade with its other OSes), because even though I love 7 it's still uses too many resources that would bog down tablets and mobile devices.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I never realized how bloated Windows was until I switched my 1GB laptop from Vista to Ubuntu. Now I use a third of the RAM that Vista used and that was after a fresh reinstall of the OS and removal of all the bloatware that came with it. If Microsoft doesn't optimize Windows 8 into something lean and for the most part built from the ground up then it will fail. Microsoft can't simply drag and drop from 7 to 8 (like it has done for the last decade with its other OSes), because even though I love 7 it's still uses too many resources that would bog down tablets and mobile devices.

1) Vista = fail
2) You only need to upgrade from XP if you're a gamer, and we have 4+ GB of RAM so we don't care whether it uses 300MB or 1GB. And XP is faster than Ubuntu, NO DOUBT.
3) Of course they'll make it lighter for tablets and such... although, IMO, it is the TABLETS that have to become more powerful if they ever want to surpass at least netbooks in usability!

[citation][nom]konstantindk[/nom]Microsoft can't afford to make a well produced videos anymore? My webcam and mic are better than that.[/citation]
Try watching it on 720p or higher quality if your monitor supports it.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
"From fundamentals, to user interface"

How about putting the file size information back on the status bar then, or give us back the ability to display the control panel in a useful way? Until they pay attention to fundamental things like that, I won't believe that they give a crap about anything other than dumbing it all down for the benefit of... no one.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Can't we just enjoy a version of Windows (7) that actually works just a LITTLE bit longer?? The last thing I want is to be forced into a new version of Windows (Vista) which could potentially be buggy.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]The problem is, and this has been stated in EVERY article about Windows8. The GUI that microsoft is showing off is the tablet UI, NOT the desktop UI, and idiots such as those have that already posted in regards to it looking like a tablet OS seem to be too STUPID to understand that Windows8 will have more than 1 UI to choose from. Seriously, how hard is it to understand that Windows8 will have multiple UIs???[/citation]
As seen in the video, there will be multiple UIs

As said in the video, the "tablet" UI is the default for all systems

Status
Not open for further replies.