Microsoft Talks More About Next Version of Windows

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You're talking as one of the people I said wouldn't leave. I'm talking about the vast majority that don't use Visual Studio etc on windows. Also I'm talking most home users that don't do much more than browse, game, email, media consumption (netflix, youtube etc). You're also talking current android, I'm talking AndroidL/SteamOS/Linux (pick flavor) triboots for home etc. 21% left for chromebooks already and AndroidL is FAR above chrome or today's android os. It's designed to go further up the chain with more features, more graphics capabilities (AEP etc) to get low-end desktops, more notebooks etc with 64bit.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-5-0-key-lime-pie-release-date-news-and-rumours-1091500
"It's going to have a radical new design, 5000 new APIs, will be available for developer previews soon, and it's going beyond the mobile form factor."
"Android L also allows mobile devices to further close the gap not only between mobile and console-quality gaming, but also between mobile and PC graphics. Working with Nvidia, Qualcomm, ARM and Imagination Technologies Google has designed the Android Extension Pack with the sole task of closing the gap between mobile and desktop-class graphics"

I'm not saying this trio (AndroidL, Linux, steamos) takes out all of windows, just that they are moving to take as much as possible. Casual users make up most of the home population. They aren't using Visual Studio ;)
http://bgr.com/2014/07/15/android-l-material-design-apps/
Showing it running on a desktop monitor among others and how it looks across multiple devices.
BTW, Munich just went linux and is fine. Dumped office/windows and are saving millions. And yes, they are (in all cases where anyone tries this in foreign places) getting their own local linux help. No surprise there, tons of linux people are in countries where FREE is a great word.

Nvidia's Denver is FOR DESKTOP, sure it will run in tablets but they want it for assaulting WINTEL. Low-end stuff first, then as games base grows, apps start using the 64bit etc, maybe at 20nm they make a run at full on 4ghz style desktop towers.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/25/google-android-l-ecosystem/
"Along with that glossy new façade, though, comes the true innovation at the core of Android L's master plan: features that unite your life across your phone, smartwatch, desktop and more.

Why would it be any different than win9 that see's you're on a tablet and invokes start screen, then sees you're on desktop and goes desktop mode. They'll do something similar.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-wars-the-android-and-chrome-os-alliance-7000030943/
ZDnet article on the coming OS war for your desktop ;)
"Merge Android's apps with Chrome OS's anyone-can-use-it interface and you have a worthy rival to Windows on the desktop."

I'm not alone thinking they are coming for the Windows Desktops. Article above written after google I/O and the writer realizing his prediction is coming true (mine too...LOL). We're not talking running PROE, Solidworks, 3DSmax or Visual Studio etc here, just taking over average users machines, which will hurt WINTEL sales quite handily until better games, 64bit apps etc catch up to the new os and hardware at 20nm etc.

"I think this means we'll see a real desktop star wars beginning late this year. The alliance of Android and Chrome OS against an aging and unpopular Windows 8.x may finally lead to Microsoft facing real desktop competition for the first time in a generation."

I agree with his statements. Valve, Google, Apple all pushing OpenGL (and all some form of linux basically), so gaming gets the first chunk and casual users of apps, then the real apps come next year and after to come for even some minor pro stuff. Adobe already upping their apps on android. By the time a full PC like box hits some really good 64bit apps using 4GB+ should be near ready or out already. I'm not saying linux will be the next big thing. I'm saying gaming over on android/linux/steamos (all of which are free for a triboot) will lead to LESS WINTEL users, apps will follow. They are merging chrome/android as the article shows. You're thinking too much about PURE linux, I'm talking all of them working together (though they just happen to all be linux based, making porting between them easy). I agree, not quite ready yet, but I'm not talking next week. This war will be years.

I'm sure RIMM thought their enterprise email would save them too. ;) Google has enterprise solutions for that stuff and it costs business 1/6 to run it. Google has a huge market and between them and everyone else on this train they have huge resources now on their side too. Exchange and Office won't save MS on desktops.
http://www.google.com/enterprise/apps/business/
Already replaceable and getting better yearly. 5mil business use google apps for business. For many, it's good enough already and with the move to 64bit etc and more useful boxes they'll garner more attention from business over time.

nocona_xeon

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
For a programmer you are terribly unfamiliar with linebreaks, you can usually apply them by hitting the 'Enter' -key.

You don't have to use the Metro/Modern part of Win 8, just stick to desktop, which has more options than ever for multiple monitors, and as many windows as you want.
[/quote]

If you are referring to my "puerile rant" that used no carriage returns, I apologize. My code structure follows a proper format (albeit from around 1992, heh). Thank you for the advice on Win8. I appreciate it.

nocona_xeon

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
For a programmer you are terribly unfamiliar with linebreaks, you can usually apply them by hitting the 'Enter' -key.

You don't have to use the Metro/Modern part of Win 8, just stick to desktop, which has more options than ever for multiple monitors, and as many windows as you want.
[/quote]

If you are referring to my "puerile rant" that used no carriage returns, I apologize. My code structure follows a proper format (albeit from around 1992, heh). Thank you for the advice on Win8. I appreciate it.

nocona_xeon

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

[/quote]

nocona_xeon

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

[/quote]

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
What about the rumors of Subscription? If so i will pass, every other windows is garbage and once your on sub... good luck keeping what version you like!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Frankly, i hate companies that try to reinvent the wheel in a square shape and have the guts to even call themselves innovative.

Why is Windows loosing OS market share slowly? Because people don't like square wheels!

rishiswaz

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

I see your point for the home user but I was referencing that enterprise/business will probably retain Windows. Autodesk doesn't even have most of their products for Mac OS, Windows only. I feel that over time the .NET overhead will decrease as the kernel matures and professional adoption will stay constant. Server is already Linux dominated and desktop market does have potential for Linux, I am not saying that Windows is superior to Linux distributions but as of now it is not really ready for consumer adoption. For Linux/UNIX systems as of now your best bet is a Mac; it is simple, clean, and has a great and easy support network, the only problem is the cost. I personally don't use android because there are settings I would never change on my phone and I don't use many apps and those that I use were available on Windows Phone all at a lower price for a flagship device; likewise there will be a natural market split once people start finding Linux based PCs more attractive for consumer use.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Power users aren't typically held back by the GUI. Its just as functional as 7 with added features. The tiles are an annoyance but easily worked around. If a 2 second FREE download to bring back your beloved start menu (and auto boot to desktop) is too much, just revert back to 7 or ask for a refund as you are dissatisfied with the product.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You do realize they themselves said that win8 is the antithesis of the power user, right? It's the power users that ARE held back by the gui as MS noted themselves verbally. It's not just about the start menu or boot to desktop. I didn't pay for win8, no need to ask for a refund, and I reverted back in about 2-3 weeks. ;) It was such a success they fired the guy that was in charge of it the week it was released ;) I wouldn't pay money for something that gets in my way in any shape or form. Time is money and win8 wastes my time just as MS said it would :) Did I say anything about the start menu? But ok, yeah that's a problem too. Out of my whole posts, you get that my problem is my "beloved start menu"? ROFL.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013

Sinofsky was a douche with out of touch leadership. He tried to cut corners and make one OS for 3 different types of devices and didn't communicate properly as he was supposed to, he got what was coming to him. I have yet to be held back as Run commands still function properly. Microsoft is of course going to damage control by saying what their customers hate, otherwise the mantra that "M$ doesn't listen" will continue to grow. My only gripe is the whole "Run as Administrator" when already on an administrator account, they need to do away with the boogie man "hidden" admin account already.

DX12 will be backwards compatible with even DX11 hardware. It would be illogical for it to be tied to win9 only, especially since the changes going from, I believe, XP to Vista. Yet it is Microsoft so I won't be holding my breath.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

That isn't the same thing. It will run a different code path. You won't be loading DX12 on win7 is my point. Just like you don't load DX10 or 11 on Winxp. They are stuck with DX9 paths. I'm not sure you'll be able to load dX12 on win8 either. They may make it win9 only to get you to go upgrade. They've done it before and will probably try again because win7 is looking like their next XP fiasco ;) IF NV keeps upping the dx11 drivers they'll have an even tougher time selling win9/dx12. If OpenGL gets pushed successfully by AndroidL, iOS, steamOS, linux before DX12 sells enough OS's that support it (again probably only win9 for a while to nudge people) then DX may just end up going down as OpenGL works everywhere and the devs would definitely prefer one API that is OPEN over paying any attention to DX12. Portability is king these days and getting even more important.

Status
Not open for further replies.