Microsoft Targets Galaxy S3 with New Commercial

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Non-Euclidean[/nom]And when the S4 ads hit, the campaign should be "Microsoft: Concentrating on Yesterday" or "Microsoft: Still Trying To Catch Up" or[/citation]
How about, "our yesterday's tech camera is still better than your future phone camera", seriously, this is not a WP8 vs Android debate
It's about the hardware, the camera and lenses on the Nokia phone are far superior and pretty much always have been considering theor tie-in with Carl Zeiss
Instead of having a fake hate rant, why not put pressure on Samsung to have a similar tie-in with another high end optics producer - perhaps speak to Nikon or Sigma, now THAT would be something to see rather than just another MP hike

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
The S3 has a case on it, what do you bet it was the kind that has plastic over the lens to cut down on light... And what would the pic have looked like if they used the low light portrait mode (one click setting) on the thing?

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Isnt this the same phone Microsoft is dropping support in next year? No thanks MS. YOu missed the market and now you are trying to buy your way into it. It's not 1995 anymore... game over, you lose.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]*cough* DSLR *cough*But ok, ads are targeted to morons anyway... so.[/citation]
lets talk realisticly, are you bringing a dslr with a good lense with you everywhere you go, at all times, just in case you see something you want a picture of? or will you more likely always have a phone with you?

personally a phone is a phone first and everything else second.
if it passes being a phone, the next things i would look at is sound output both for phone and for music
third is the camera, and this could be a deal breaker if it cant take a decent picture to save its life.

the app market doesn't even factor in because almost all of it is crap i don't need, don't care about, or i have a computer for that.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Stupid AD.... The SGS3 is a year old... and next month the SGS4 starts shipping. Who else here is impressed? A few days ago I finally saw & touched my very first Lumia 920, at Frys Electronics. Here are the main points: The Lumia 920 is already $50 phone... while last years SGS3 is still $200 (I'm sure it'll be a $100 next month). I think this means almost NOBODY is buying WP8 phones!

With my carrier (at&t) the 920 is $100, the 820 = $1 (my AtrixHD is still $50), SGS3 = $200. HTC W8 = $50~100.

The 920 is easily better than the 900 in every way. I played with the latest HTC WP8 phone and I think its better with its soft-grip surface.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]lets talk realisticly, are you bringing a dslr with a good lense with you everywhere you go, at all times, just in case you see something you want a picture of?[/citation]Right, that is how I feel. Yes, some phones do take very good pics... mine does much better with daylight. And most are fine for what they do... candid daily life shots... and easily better than most of yesterdays disposable cameras or cheap PAS. If I need quality or fast photos... I'll use a dedicated digital camera. If I need pro-level control, I'll get out my DLSR.

[citation][nom]Headski[/nom]I own a Lumia 822, have had an Android phone (Gingerbread), and my wife has had 3 Androd phones. Our experience has shown us Android is an unreliable OS. ~~ She daily has to turn the phone off and back on to connect to the cellular network.[/citation] Could it simply be that you are not lucky? There are people having horrible time with their WP7 and WP8 phones.

I have friends who have the S3 and are not rebooting them daily or weekly. Did you get refurbs? Did you get the low-end models form MetroPCS? My Motorola AtrixHD is a very good phone, I may reboot it once every 2 months - I think. There are all kinds of variables, and some of those will simply have to do with your preference. My AtrixHD has a crappy camera - even my wife's low-end LG takes faster and better pics. But I knew this already. I don't like how Samsung phones feel in the hand, I don't like the razor-thin edges, I liked the brighter screen of my AtrixHD... etc, etc. For the same $100 price, I could have gone with the HTX One X, which has a very good camera. But I DON'T like having the power button at the top was my #1 issue. I really prefer the UI that is used on Motorola.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006

Maybe not, but there are other small solutions which make much much better pictures:
- Mirrorless
- Micro 4/3rds
- the good old point & shoot with decent sensor size and expandable lens.

No matter how technology advances, there's just NO WAY of getting good quality pictures out of that needle sized camera. Physics is against it.

This commercial only shows that one phone takes underexposed picture and the other one overexposed... that's NOT quality.
I'm simply horrified when I look at the pictures some people take today with their phones and say they are "good"... the noise in unbearable, the colors are awful, over-saturated, unnatural there is no detail due to the severe digital post-processing, and so on... photography has gone down the drain.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]I dont use Apple products (never have never will).I have grown to loath Android OS after 3 years and 6 different phones (not all mine some are my wife/kids)
Fragmentation - currently I have 4 android phones and 3 of the 4 phones are running on different versions of the OS.[/citation] er... so? Yeah, new models come out, new OSes come out. It is up to the carrier & phone maker to come out with updates. When you bought a PC 7 years ago, does it mean you get to run Win8 on it?

For the most part, almost EVERY new phone made in the past 12 months is using Android 4.x. Some lower end models are still coming out with 2.x. Like when my wife went to get a cheap MetroPCS phone (for now). They had a NEW Samsung phone (looks like a mini-Galaxy S3) or the LG. The Samsung costs more money... and had Android 2.3(WTF?!) I told her to get the cheaper LG with 4.1 pre-installed.

That is not Android/googles fault... its the maker and the customer.

Also... fragmentation among the brands is no big deal. Android phones work very much the same. The launcher is different per brand to make them "different". Power of Android is that you can easily make it look and operate like an iPhone or even a WP7 or WP8 phone. For almost 2 years, my SGS1 phone ran the WP7 interface.... actually it still does as its been retired as a phone, but it still works as a WIFI device for some old games and old data.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
OOPS (Pressed Submit).

There really is no excuse for anyone coming out with anything in the past 6 months that is not a 4.x Android. But Google has no control over that. Its a free OS. Also, in the USA - ALL carriers load up crap onto phones. They've been doing it to feature phones for a decade.

You could always buy an international/unlocked phone and have at it. I bought an unlocked SONY phone 6 years ago because it was the phone I wanted with the feature set I needed. Still works today, even thou I broke the data connector.

Other thing about fragmentation... Do you see any 4 year old WindowsPhones running WP7 or WP8?
Do you see any Nokia 900 or 800 phones running WP 8.x? You don't.... oops, MS just fragmented their phones!! You can still buy brand new shiny WP7 devices. But its a dead platform since MS dropped support of WP7... just like they did with WP6.

Meanwhile, those with Android 2.x phones can run most of todays software just fine.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]Maybe not, but there are other small solutions which make much much better pictures:- Mirrorless- Micro 4/3rds- the good old point & shoot with decent sensor size and expandable lens.No matter how technology advances, there's just NO WAY of getting good quality pictures out of that needle sized camera. Physics is against it.This commercial only shows that one phone takes underexposed picture and the other one overexposed... that's NOT quality.I'm simply horrified when I look at the pictures some people take today with their phones and say they are "good"... the noise in unbearable, the colors are awful, over-saturated, unnatural there is no detail due to the severe digital post-processing, and so on... photography has gone down the drain.[/citation]

mirror less, yes, good pictures, also bulkier than a phone, and most people don't want to 24/7 carry a dedicated camera around, personally i would, or at least have one in a car. but mirror less is still to bulky

micro 4/3 is really nice, but the lenses are where people will have a problem. well that and that im seeing them for around a grand... and at that price i would rather go a full dlsr than that.

point and shoot... yes... bulky still...

keep in mind the clothing most people ware. women, tight as hell pants and men slightly less tight but still tight pants. these camers do not fit in most people pockets, and they arent a necessary part of their lives.

hell ill say this, some smartphones take better or equal pictures when compared to point and shoot. this is comeing from looking at cellphone pictures, and the cybershots we have had in our family (parrents)

now when you talk about no way, you have to specify "no current marketable/profitable way to put it out yet" in time they will probably get something that can make a cell phone camera as good as our current dlsrs (low to mid)

and if you want to compare a cellphone picture to a dlsr, of coarse they are crap, but run it through photoshop, balance the color, and print it to a 3X4 and i'm willing to bet money that that cellphone picture is better than what many people could do with film, and most people wont be able to tell the difference between a decent cellphone pic and a decent point and shoot unless you zoom in.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
How do we know that the microsoft spokesperson didn't just deliberately take a bad photo with the galaxy? I noticed the photo is taken in a low light environment. There are some light level adjustments that you can make. Also, it is clear that the windows phone picture was taken slightly closer to the couple. Perhaps just in range of the flash, whereas the galaxy photo was taken just outside the best flash range. Basically, a single photo taken by a person with a vested interest in the outcome should not be considered proof of anything.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Microsoft drops support for its phone every 2 years which lines up with most carrier contracts. This is not exclusive to Microsoft, Android handsets and Apple will do the same thing if not earlier. The only difference is Microsoft is more open about it.
Now of course the Windows Phone is going to be better. All Windows Phone 8 on the market are simply superior to anything currently on the market. The only problem is there are not a lot of Windows Phone 8's. There seems to be only 2 handset makers on the market, Nokia and HTC. HTC to me has the better phone, but both are really good compared to anything else on the market before factoring in the OS which is handidly better then iOS and Android.

bytemaster

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
They are stating, basically, that they WILL support it through next year and not drop it sooner. A newer version of the Windows phone software that should run on all existing devices will be out before then... kind of like Apple dropping support for earlier versions of iOS. The point is, they won't just drop you immediately when the new version comes out like some of their competitors.

Nimmist

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I have a HTC Arrive running Windows Phone 7. When I first got it I loved it. The lite version of Office was nice in the corporate environment. Apps were limited, but I figured it wouldn’t be too long before the market built up to a good selection.

Later I got an ASUS Transformer to learn more about the Android OS. It runs solid and is supported by a MUCH better market.

Currently my Windows Phone is not supported under Windows 8, I have not seen an update to the OS in many months, it locks up regularly, and every time I’ve had it exchanged for a replacement the replacement is just as bad if not worse. My wife had the same phone and was running into the same problems. Now she is happy with an Android phone. I’m eligible for a new phone about the time the Galaxy S4 will be release and will be getting it as soon as I can.

Microsoft had good potential with the Phone 7, but then stopped supporting it. I won’t fall for that again with Phone 8.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]antilycus[/nom]Isnt this the same phone Microsoft is dropping support in next year? No thanks MS. YOu missed the market and now you are trying to buy your way into it. It's not 1995 anymore... game over, you lose.[/citation]

Microsoft doesn't provide support for the phones. As for Windows phone OS, they have repeatedly made it clear that all Windows 8 phones are upgradeable to the next version.

void

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
I almost bought a Lumia phone, but after I tried one from my friend I found that there is no way to disable screen rotation. It makes the phone useless if I use it in bed, which I do a lot. I also found that this simple feature has been requested in windows phone forum since 2011 and MS still refuse to implement it.

Sorry Nokia you hardware is so good. It is not your fault that I did not buy from you.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Here's my two cents on the devices.
I don't own the latest and greatest, but what I have works. It's a Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. Most of you have not heard of it. I've had it for over 2 years and it still works great and does everything I need it to. It takes great pictures, can play any app no lag, and the camera takes great photos.
That being said, a good friend of mine recently got the lumina 920. I must say, it is an impressive device. Very fast, neat user interface, a fair amount of apps (though not as many as ios/android), and a great camera. His carrier is AT&T, i believe.
Either way, we both end up switching devices throughout the coarse of the day to do things. For instance, he may borrow my player to play some NFS while i use his to photograph some objects under a microscope (again, really great camera, focused in and took great shots of red blood cells through the eyepiece).
I really don't care which device I use, all I care about is being able to do the things i need it to do (surf the web, take pictures, play some apps, take notes, etc). If you are on the fence, just consider what you want to do with your phone. I won't list the specs for each OS because you can find those anywhere.
Thanks for your time.

tokencode

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
[citation][nom]koss64[/nom]Because having 5 thousand apps that do exactly the same thing is what make one platform better than the other...[/citation]

I think you mean want-to-be techies... real technical people can appreciate a good solution regardless of who makes it. WP8 is a very well-designed OS and I'm happy some are starting to recognize that. People may not agree with some of the interface choices MS made, but I find it to be faster and more reliable than either iOS or Android (and yes I have owned all 3 and will gladly stick with my nokia).

halcyon

Splendid
Note 2 today. Note 3 when available. The camera on the 2 is great for its intended purpose (to be convenient and take reasonable quality photos that can instantly be shared) and I imagine the Note 3's shooter will be as good or better. That's more than enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.