News Microsoft to debut DirectSR universal image upscaling technology next month, co-developed with Nvidia and AMD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2024
I wonder if the people who design the art in hi res detail for gamers to enjoy the world in it's full glory cringe and think sod it whats the point might as well make the image/textures low rez in the first if they just going to keep down scaling my beautiful artwork and make my beautiful world look like a smeary mess (looking at you AMD fsr low quality) lol

vijosef

Great
Feb 26, 2024
The next step should be real time hallucination of games.

Turn player into a dragon. Render Borderlands as a photorealistic game. Render Doom in Giger style. Add lush vegetation to No Man's Sky. Add light to Tomb Raider Remastered. Enhance the textures of old games.

Whatever the player asks.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
"Sir, there are three standards for upscaling."

"That's silly, we should make a unified standard"

News- There are now four upscaling standards.
I predicted MS would create a standardized interface that enabled games to utilize whatever vendor-specific upscaling technology is implemented the installed GPU + drivers. I'm somewhat surprised they devised their own, but I guess one benefit is that it probably provides game developers with more consistent quality.

I just hope it's good enough and fast enough that we don't still see some games continuing to support vendor-specific technologies. In that case, it'd be exactly as you say: yet a 4th option!

Reactions: P.Amini
Status
Not open for further replies.