Microsoft to Focus on Windows 8 Starting July '10

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]So is Windows 8 going to be "new" or just Vista SP3? How many people are they hiring in the USA versus overseas?[/citation]

Was XP in your mind "new" or was it just Windows 2000 patched? What is your definition of "new", an entire new kernel OS built from scratch? Good luck waiting on that. I have Vista x64 and while it runs outstanding, this Holiday season I'll upgrade to Windows 7 because while not "new" it does offer improvement in some applications including games over Vista.

Second, what difference does it make how many people they are hiring overseas for this vs. in the USA? While based in the US, Microsoft is an international company and does a lot of business overseas the last time I checked.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Since MS collaborated with Hollywood, RIAA the NAS and who knows who else to make Vista SP3. Windows 8 will done in super secret probation so the MS fan-boys will love it even more.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Hopefully I get time to upgrade my computer with the Windows 7 installs I pre-ordered before Windows 8 comes around. Its just so hard though, to dedicate a whole weekend to upgrade a computer that is still running perfectly fine under Win Xp x64.

I think Microsoft is moving a little fast now (though they needed to axe Vista even faster than they did, they couldn't survive much more anti-vista PR). They need to do what they did with XP. They have an OS people are happy with now, and they need to maintain and improve it. If Win 8 is just SP3 (just as Win 7 is really just SP2), they will soon find people not giving a rats ass about the new Windows, especially if Microsoft keeps charging big bucks for them.

Then again, Apple releases "new" OSs all the time, and the fanbois seem to keep buying and installing them, maybe that's what Microsoft is going for.

Windows Vista and 7 share the same OS core version esentially v6.x - as much as you all dont like it there related, same as 2k and XP (5.x)

Microsoft usually makes 2 os's from the one core, so Windows 8 should have a new core.

hannibal

Distinguished
apache_lives is right. Vista was main release, Win7 was minor, Win8 is the next major release and two year from that there is "facelift" minor release and so on. So 4 years life cycle with one face lift in between.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Why aren't they working on Win7 SP2 instead?[/citation]
Because SP2 is free but Win8 will cost money.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
great .. just when we think they would leave well enough alone .. herald of the dawn of another price bloated OS, the next version of patchable soon to be exploited monolith of the computerized future ( maybe better could be worse definitive possibility of incompatibility ) Windows 8.. the 4x4 of the Operating System Industry... oh I can hardly wait...( but I will..)

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Why aren't they working on Win7 SP2 instead?[/citation]
The will be working on Win7 service packs as well. It's not like Microsoft is only capable of working on one project and one project only. They are developed seperately.

Duh

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]vaskodogama[/nom]so it is 8, not names like vista, or XP, numbers make more sense than names in computer[/citation]
For now it's just a code name, but who knows. They may decide to keep it. It does kinda make sense to keep with the numbers after they already already started to go in that direction.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]apache_lives is right. Vista was main release, Win7 was minor, Win8 is the next major release and two year from that there is "facelift" minor release and so on. So 4 years life cycle with one face lift in between.[/citation]
They're aiming for a new release every 3 years. 2006, 2009, 2012, etc

nlcbryan

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
for ppl who think win7 is another xp sp2, well basically it is. windows xp is windows 2000 sp2 as well. 7 is jz a refinement of xp, although not as ground breaking as win xp, that's why microsoft is going for win8, b4 7 starts outdating. I'm currently using 7, n its great at the moment with all the new visuals and features, but in terms of speed, win xp still faster. But there's NO comparison btwn xp and 7, do not forget 7 requires more graphics processing and so on.

We'll have to see how it goes over the next 3 years I guess. There could be delays or it could come out sooner; who knows. I have a feeling that it will be nothing like W7 or Vista in terms of the UI- hopefully something "ground breaking."

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
For all of those who are worrying about PS2, do you think MS will actually leave WIN 7 without another SP for 3 years?

Also considering how large the company is, one would have to agree that they are coded seperately hence the need to hire more.

[citation][nom]nlcbryan[/nom]for ppl who think win7 is another xp sp2, well basically it is. windows xp is windows 2000 sp2 as well. 7 is jz a refinement of xp, although not as ground breaking as win xp, that's why microsoft is going for win8, b4 7 starts outdating. I'm currently using 7, n its great at the moment with all the new visuals and features, but in terms of speed, win xp still faster. But there's NO comparison btwn xp and 7, do not forget 7 requires more graphics processing and so on.[/citation]

1) Windows 2000 has 4 service packs so technically its more like SP5 if anything, but even that is a false statement as they both do not share updates etc

2) if your saying XP is faster its because you using less then 4gb of ram and a crappy system - get a new one with windows 7. XP lags when i chance folder options - it just sits there, and in other places - thank god 7 improves this greatly.

3) XP and 7 are not related, and 7 is not a refined version of XP - its a refined version of vista, which even vista is not really like xp but more of a ground up redesign etc post xp era.

4) graphical power required for vista/7? Integrated Intel runs it absolutly fine (Intel G31) - wtf are you talking about?

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]Windows Vista and 7 share the same OS core version esentially v6.x - as much as you all dont like it there related, same as 2k and XP (5.x)Microsoft usually makes 2 os's from the one core, so Windows 8 should have a new core.[/citation]

I'm wondering where you get "Usually" from. As far as I can remember, Windows 3 had 2 OS's to its core. Then there was Win95/98/Me and WinNT/2000/XP and now Vista/7/8. I would say usually 3 OS's to a core.

Status
Not open for further replies.