Microsoft to Give EU Users a Browser Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeth_03

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Someone better go tell Ubuntu to quit auto installing Firefox then

Seriously tho, it takes 10 seconds to open up IE, go to www.firefox.com and click the big Download Now button.

"But we euro-pee-ons hate IE so much,we cant bloody stand to look at it at all! Thats Bullocks! Rubbish!"

sot010174

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2004
I don't think this will pose a problem to Microsoft. You'll be installing Win7 and the ballot screen will come up asking which browser you want. Ok, you choose Firefox. Oh... no network drivers... then all the other options would blank out making IE8 the only choice because its included on the installation media... duh...

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[Sarcasm] I would like to have choice to run Internet Explorer 8 on any newer Linux distributions and OSX, even though I probably still prefer Chrome and FireFox. Come on, EU, now sue Apple Inc., Ubuntu, IBM and RedHat for bundle browers other than M$ IE8.
[\Sarcasm]

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]DouglasThurman[/nom]What, are the users in Europe too stupid to figure out how to go online and download a different browser?[/citation]
Those who are, are probably too stupid to choose a browser on their own.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Fairly smart solution on M$'s part. I would have just pulled IE out of the build so they'd have no internets at all, that'd show the 'Union' they don't know whats good for the people

wesleywatson

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
But this is obviously the hand that Microsoft wants to succeed. Their first proposal would suck for the EU, so now they give them this one which will surely fly through. Game theory people.

I imagine the ballot screen will have IE 8 first, in bold, perhaps having to click on an "Other browsers" button to get to the rest. "Are you SURE you want to install Firefox? Microsoft is not responsible for any DANGER from use of other web browsers."

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom][Sarcasm] I would like to have choice to run Internet Explorer 8 on any newer Linux distributions and OSX, even though I probably still prefer Chrome and FireFox. Come on, EU, now sue Apple Inc., Ubuntu, IBM and RedHat for bundle browers other than M$ IE8.[\Sarcasm][/citation]
Call Steve Ballmer about it and if MS ever made a Linux version I am sure that SuSE (Novell) and Ubuntu (Canonical) will include IE in their distributions.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Is the EU also going to force Apple to do the same?

No of course not. That would be having a FAIR MARKET, which the EU doesn't care about.

rhys216

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Can't believe the EU is still picking on M$ for Antitrust yet have not said a word about ebay & paypal limiting choice and generally ripping people off.

joex444

Distinguished
I wholly support the initial MS plan of no browser at all, and no ballot screen. After all, without IE installed to begin with you reduce bloat once the user chooses to install FF.

But... but, how does one install FF without another browser?

Well, friends, I believe MS still bundles an FTP command line client.
It's pretty straight forward, actually.
start -> run
cmd
ftp
open
ftp.mozilla.org
anonymous
my@fakeemail.com
cd pub
cd firefox
cd releases
cd latest-3.5
cd en-GB (or other language of your choice -- user freedom at its finest!)
bin
get Firefox Setup 3.5.1.exe

Voila. This is, I believe, what the EU had in mind.

Bert R

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2009
Anybody who cared enough about stuff like browsers would have just downloaded them anyway, so what's the point?

g-thor

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
"The Commission welcomes this proposal, and will now investigate its practical effectiveness in terms of ensuring genuine consumer choice."

They mean that their 'Commission' is so incapable of rational thought that it can't decide if giving people a list of browsers to choose from constitutes genuine choice! Because MS offerred it, maybe it's a false choice. Maybe MS secretly bought up all these other browers.

I have nothing against the EU - I do against bureaucrats. No matter what country they come from, they can't actually think. They love zero tolerence policies, so you have no choice, and then to turn around and require others to offer choices. There is a short circuit in a bureaucrat's brain, I think.

G

[citation][nom]joex444[/nom]But... but, how does one install FF without another browser?Well, friends, I believe MS still bundles an FTP command line client. It's pretty straight forward, actually.start -> runcmdftpopenftp.mozilla.organonymousmy@fakeemail.comcd pubcd firefoxcd releasescd latest-3.5cd en-GB (or other language of your choice -- user freedom at its finest!)binget Firefox Setup 3.5.1.exeVoila. This is, I believe, what the EU had in mind.[/citation]

since everyone here beside joex44 is so smart... and that the europeen are so dumb... why are you guys saying we cant dl a new browser without a browser????

should we now say "stupid americans" ???
The EU is blocking this 3rd party cause PPL CAN MAKE MONEY out of it. Thats it, nothing else.

G

and if i remember correctly... netscape was coming with ALL driver CD... and it wasnt difficult to install it

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]The EU is blocking this 3rd party cause PPL CAN MAKE MONEY out of it. Thats it, nothing else.[/citation]

You can make money out of anything if you just use your head. Since I make money from sports betting, is the EU going to block gambling sites because I refuse to roll over and work for 50 years like everyone else? I would not put it past them, so it's a good thing I don't live in a communis-, erm, EU country (nor do I live in the US, so bashing them won't do anything for you).

Besides, Microsoft is a business, which means that *GASP!* they exist to make money.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]doctorpink[/nom]since everyone here beside joex44 is so smart... and that the europeen are so dumb... why are you guys saying we cant dl a new browser without a browser???? should we now say "stupid americans" ???The EU is blocking this 3rd party cause PPL CAN MAKE MONEY out of it. Thats it, nothing else.[/citation]
Is it unfair to carry only your own products in your store? I hardly follow the logic of fair play and in anti competitive behavior that most anti trust lawsuits are made on. Esp with trends showing a decline in IE usage making it seem more of a way to take a swipe at MS because Opera a European biased company filed a complain against them. Anyways Europeans aren't stupid just their form of justice is all we are saying along with that the EU has the belief that the user cannot find their own products, isn't that what advertisement is for? Browsers can't advertise?
rant rant rant rant rant.......

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
The best solution would have been to bring up a window stating "Your computer does not have a web browser installed. Would you like to install Microsoft Internet Explorer?". If the user chooses "no" then IE does not get installed. If they choose "yes" then IE does get installed. Problem solved. The EU is not requiring Microsoft to provide links to other web browsers. They also are NOT requiring Microsoft to provide other web browsers on the installation DVD. The EU is only requiring Microsoft to give users a choice of whether or not they want Internet Explorer on their computer.

G

Congratulations THG commenters: Not one person has realized/mentioned so far that anti-trust regulation can and ought only be applied to companies that hold monopoly status in a market. With %90 desktop OS market share, that is Microsoft and Microsoft only in this market.
Therefore the same regulation cannot and should not be applied to Apple (%6-7 share) or any Linux distribution (%1-2 share total).
Leveraging monopoly status in one market (OS) to monopolize another (Browsers) is illegal and is not good for consumer choice.
Furthermore, those who are under the delusion that the EU is communistic and are arguing against this regulation out of love of capitalism, are arguing in favor of monopoly capitalism as opposed to free market capitalism.
Well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.