Microsoft Transforms Retail Xbox One Into A Dev Kit, Adding Mods And Overlay To Windows 10 Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Microsoft doing what it does best, software. Kudos to the Retail Xbox one unit being able to be a dev kit... This will open up a lot of opportunities for small indie developers.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I don't trust any of this nonsense for a second. All sane gamers, please boycott this Windows Store (UWP/UWA/whatever) nonsense harder than you hate on Ubisoft and EA, we don't need to enable THIS sort of competition for Steam in any way. They don't offer a superior experience or better/more products, they just want to make it harder for us to game the way WE want. Leave that to consoles.

RewCore

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014
I don't trust any of this nonsense for a second. All sane gamers, please boycott this Windows Store (UWP/UWA/whatever) nonsense harder than you hate on Ubisoft and EA, we don't need to enable THIS sort of competition for Steam in any way. They don't offer a superior experience or better/more products, they just want to make it harder for us to game the way WE want. Leave that to consoles.

A little competition can't hurt anyone.

xHDx

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

There's always one... You're probably part of the group of people that boycott Windows 10 because it was new and just complain for something to do.
Steam isn't great. It does nothing as an actual game platform that really effects the performance of games. Have you even played any games on the UWP. Your view are skewed and lack any substance. Theres nothing to say we can't use Steam and UWA at the same time. We get the performance boost of UWP and the social connection of Steam.

I agree but I also disagree, Steam was the first digital distribution platform that made getting updates for your games easy and allowed developers to easily connect with their customers. It has given a lot more power to gamers.

It is a double edge sword however in that it has also allowed for the bad in gamers to come out. Most of the forums is a mess of hate and anger instead of it being an easy way for gamers to unite and talk. I feel bad for games in Early Access as people expect to pay less for them even though they will get a full copy on release along with alpha/beta access for the game.

Steam is a pretty big thing and so far no one has matched them. Windows could but I don't think Microsoft is trying to do that. In fat they actually said their idea can still be used on Steam, a game for example can still be part of the UWP and be on Steam or even GoG. The idea is just that it is universal across Windows devices.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I don't care about your DEV kits or your Windows Apps !
I just care about my xbox games working and have 0 respect for your brand ;
the faster I start my game the faster I forget about that slow ugly dashboard and the name Microsoft !

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

There's always one... You're probably part of the group of people that boycott Windows 10 because it was new and just complain for something to do.
Steam isn't great. It does nothing as an actual game platform that really effects the performance of games. Have you even played any games on the UWP. Your view are skewed and lack any substance. Theres nothing to say we can't use Steam and UWA at the same time. We get the performance boost of UWP and the social connection of Steam.

A little competition can't hurt anyone.

i have pleanty of reasons to not like windows 10 and not "upgrade" to it but here.
http://www.howtogeek.com/243012/why-you-shouldnt-buy-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-and-other-pc-games-from-the-windows-store/

xHDx

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Some of those have already been addressed if you look them up.
VSync, Modding, Overlays have already been proposed with solutions. It's only a matter of time before the rest falls into place.
FYI, the store does support Full-screen mode as long as the game supports it.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

So technically you want Steam monopoly because you don`t like MS`s Store ? What are you smoking ?

I think in some things a monopoly is not always a bad thing. In software it makes it easier to work with and troubleshoot. Why else do you think Apple locks down their ecosystem? Makes it easier for them to get better performance and to support their products.

While I would like to see Steam get some competition none have done it yet. So far Ubisoft has only made it so you can still buy their products on Steam but have to use the UPlay, which is meh. Origin has never been much of a challenge and EA is stupid, in my opinion, to not have their titles available on Steam.

Maybe Microsoft will bring that challenge but Steam has a very big head start and is able to match most if need be. Plus it being done by a privately owned company means they can do things and take risks other bigger corporations can't and wont take, such as the Greenlight Games (which is a great concept just very poorly executed).

In this case though Microsoft's biggest hurdle will be the biased hate they get for no other reason than they are Microsoft. Windows Phone is a fantastic mobile OS in terms of performance and use but the app developers are slacking so Windows Mobile gets a bad name and people avoid it even though it has more innovation than iOS or Android currently. In fact Microsoft is pushing more innovation than a lot of software companies right now but again they get blasted so people ignore that innovation.

Much like the XB1. It is not trying to be the best gaming platform in terms of raw graphics power, it is trying to be the best all in one entertainment center and packs tons of new ideas and innovation. But the console crowd wants the more powerful console because it is all about the graphics, who cares that I can be on a Skype call while gaming.

The Windows Store helped get STEAMOS rolling, which in turn is the killer app to drive other Linux distros into more mainstream usage (chicken and egg scenario).

The Windows Store does have some definite PROS such as games and some programs that work between W10 PC, XBOX ONE, phone, tablet (can start on one, pause and start on another similar to the PS4 and PS Vita).

So, pros and cons.

The thing is Microsoft isn't in a position to completely force this down users throats. With SteamOS, and PC Linux (and others) they really need to make things we WANT to use.

(and the overall Store is just a complete and utter mess still)

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
MS Store is more about getting all apps together in one place and not having to deal with tons of Google searches that will take you to websites with tons of download buttons that usually get you other programs installed around it ... this way they are removing bloatware from programs that take advantage of this and presumably viruses, since you get to install your stuff from the Store.

You guys only see it as Steam competitor. The Store is more than than and maybe it doesn`t even want to compete with Steam ... it`s not like MS is blocking Steam from running... tough Valve seems not to like competition about it. Ok, you made a great product but if you fear the competition this means you`re not worthy of your position.

There were some short comings to the Store and games bought trough it but they are addressed ... End users only know how to swear / insult or cry about new stuff, you know... developing stuff takes time and no matter how much time and effort you put into it you`ll never satisfy everybody.

In the end the Store and the UWA is the way to go for a much better windows experience. People cry about viruses and malware and yet they don`t want the Store that technically solves this problem.

For devs, some complained that MS takes a share out of the sell .. well when you have a platform that can technically erase pirated version of your software you might want to reconsider that % complain. From my knowledge Win 10 can disable apps / games that are from the Store but are pirated, it won`t touch the win32 apps tough, so having your program present in the Store might have it`s benefits.

And also there are tons of guys like me that have games in Steam but i don`t like Steam to run in the background. I always keep that crap off when i don`t use any Steam games, same with Origin and others.

dusty13

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
The Windows Store helped get STEAMOS rolling, which in turn is the killer app to drive other Linux distros into more mainstream usage (chicken and egg scenario).

The Windows Store does have some definite PROS such as games and some programs that work between W10 PC, XBOX ONE, phone, tablet (can start on one, pause and start on another similar to the PS4 and PS Vita).

So, pros and cons.

The thing is Microsoft isn't in a position to completely force this down users throats. With SteamOS, and PC Linux (and others) they really need to make things we WANT to use.

(and the overall Store is just a complete and utter mess still)

I'd not say steam os is rolling ... more like stuttering along ... shuffling ... occasionally falling over ... ;)

steam os is a nice idea but until games start using vulcan (and probably even then) it has a performance deficite compared to windows. with gamers caring a LOT about performance (even to the point where it does not make any difference for the gaming experience) this will be a problem for adoption for quite some time to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.