Microsoft Trashes Google Docs in New Commercials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatepc

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I tried office 365 and when multiple people work on a single spreadsheet it required me to save before others could see my changes. Drove me freaking crazy. Just for that reason alone I prefer Google docs.

dsigned

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Way to go Microsoft "Our expensive service is better than their free service!" Maybe they're comparing corporate environments, in which case they might have a point, and I don't know enough about the pricing differences to comments on that.
For personal use, I would say that Google Docs has never been a replacement for MS Word. A supplement would be a better description. I don't need MS Word all the time, just when I'm doing something that requires it. For a great many things, I can just type it up in Google Docs (or, heaven forbid, Gmail) and send it from there.
And that seems to be what they're conveniently omitting. Google Docs is way faster than opening up Word, and in the majority of the cases where I use a Word processor, that's all I need.
As for incompatibility -- isn't that just as much a Microsoft flaw as a G Docs flaw? Doesn't that imply that MS has problems making things that everyone else can open?

bvsbutthd101

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Also forgot to include that Google Docs is everywhere. It's on every computer you go on. No installation, just login to google and you're done.

mjv1121

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
What's the problem with using M$ software? After all it's Open Source and the price is free.....oh no, wait a minute, those lying MoFos are AFTER YOUR MONEY.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
If it were plain text only I'd be satisfied with LibreOffice but anything with images or tables almost never works right unless it was actually created with LibreOffice. Since the large majority of docs are made with Microsoft Office you really need that to get things done.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... nop... no google doc's or Ms office for me... i use LibreOffice... and the end result is saved in PDF... do file discrepancies...

More often than not, the reason for format discrepancy is MS Office, not the other program you're using. It's just like how IE is traditionally the browser with the worst standards conformance.

The0ne

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Office is more feature rich while Google Docs is basic. While Google is ok for your basic collaboration you should consider Office/skydrive as it is much better. I've used both extensively for collaboration and prefer Office BUT there are just a lot of critical bugs that MS cannot and have not been able to address. They have a community to help but they can't keep up with the amount of bugs going on. As such I've stopped using Office/skydrive until many of them are addressed, which I believe will be almost never...as with most office quirks.
So my recommendation today...use what you're used to because there are pros/cons to each. For those that are trying to use collaboration, you have to use skydrive. Changes by multiple users are reflected immediately like Googledoc. Working on the file in Office just means the app is constantly uploading/downloading. So use the Office webapps for collaboration, it is a must.

West701

Honorable
May 13, 2013
Google might rule the internet, but Microsoft still rules the software world. Most clients and companies will expect MS formats. I really don't see the big deal of paying $99 bucks for a brand new version of MS Office. Microsoft Office is like Adobe Photoshop, while Google Doc/Libre office is lke GIMP. You get what you pay for.

While I definitely have my reservations about the new price of Office, I have to give MS credit for finally starting to produce some 1/2 decent commercials. They are not exactly brilliant... but the commercials they have come out with over the last month or two finally try and sell a product rather than just being... well... odd or esoteric.
Seriously though, bring Office 365 price down a notch, or at least come out with a 2 computer plan for $50/yr instead of a 5 computer plan for $100/yr. Or bring back the Office Home and student for use on 2-3 computers like it use to be, because as it stands now, as a home user, Libre/Open Office really isn't that bad if I ever need an upgrade. Plus I already own office 2007, so why should I upgrade?

Jeff Krogue

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I personally love goodle docs, it works seemlessly through google drive on my laptop, desktop, and android phone. I can't ask for anything more, and its free to boot. Granted I don't need to have 100% MS office compatibility for work, but I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same boat.

Jeff Krogue

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013
I personally love goodle docs, it works seemlessly through google drive on my laptop, desktop, and android phone. I can't ask for anything more, and its free to boot. Granted I don't need to have 100% MS office compatibility for work, but I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same boat.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
This is going to backfire on Microsoft horribly. I use both everyday and prefer Google Docs
Documents between different versions of office aren't compatible
The cloud service is horrible and barely works
A corporate environment is even worse, you can't open a report some using another version sent, converting takes forever and borks the formats and formulas
Google Docs works everywhere
It's fairly reliable
Anyone can open it
Google Docs is still a little basic but it will do everything that you need. If there's a feature that you can't find you should be using something a little more professional than either

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Google docs is fine for the vast majority of home use tasks. When you need something more, just use OpenOffice/LibreOffice. There is no need to use any M$ office product unless you are a power user that needs some of the obscure MSOffice features that most people don't even know exist.

hannibal

Distinguished
MS-office has more features, but Google docks is still best tool for multiuser work. Both have their use. Depending on what you try to do. The problem for MS is that Libre office offers allmost all features that MS office does (free) and Google doc is in reality better multiuser platform. They are in tight spot in there!

redacid999

Honorable
May 13, 2013
The fault is with Microsoft for creating and constantly changing their own "standards" such that other software isn't compatible. Try opening a MSWord document with any other word processor, or even a slightly older version of MSWord and there is a chance it will be formatted wrong. And let's not even talk about IE.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
for the 5 times a year I use office software, I think Libreoffice or Docs would work just fine. For people who use it every day, just bite the bullet and get office.

lunix

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Yes, pleeeaaaase MS, get these ads on TV. This is worse than those corny Surface ads.
Anyway, not sure what YOU need in your business word processor, but I use MS Office every day and have never even been tempted to use any of the USP features Mr Z mentions. Maybe you only need those if you started your career when useless gimmicks in presentations were cool. Sure, MS Office has more stuff(tm), but if I were to shoe string a business, that's the first expense that goes.
And compatibility? Not surei f you remember the years and years and years and ye... of MS promising open documents, so ask who's at fault here.
Oh, and let's not forget about all those little bugs and idiosyncrasies in Office (esp. Word)! I'm sure you can save tons in training and support alone by staying away from it. Formatting issues without ever exporting anything, disappearing images, jumping images, fracked up references, the iidiotic way styles are handled when you create exceptions... How long has it been MS? going on 30 years now? Think you may get around to fixing some of those after all this time? (Disclaimer, haven't tried 2010 yet, maybe they have...)
I hope this campaign goes the way of the infamous Bing It On campaign where everyone and their mother ended up preferring Google results and MS pulled the plug in a hurry.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
MS office is better, no question, but I find MS's true equivalent - the browser office stuff that is tied to Skydrive - to be about on par and maybe a *bit* worse than Google Docs.

Status
Not open for further replies.