Microsoft Tussles With Consumer Reports Over Surface Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

alextheblue

Distinguished
He's a football coach. What does he know about technology? He can't even tell a wireless connection issue apart from a problem with the device. Hence most of his issues. "DARN COMPUTERS!"

I'm not to convinced Microsoft hardware is that reliable. Two people in my household had to exchange their Surface 2s within a year. The good part is the Microsoft Store at the local mall gives you no problem about doing so.

After another 3 years, the touchscreen on one stopped working altogether. The other is working fine.

Two of us have Microsoft Band 2s. We both had to exchange them multiple times for battery issues within the first year. One of us went to return it again prior to the year mark and we learned Microsoft was no longer making them. Again, the MS store did right by us a new $250 model Fitbit.

When the MS hardware works, it works great.

I guess the moral of the story here is if you have a MS store close by take a chance, otherwise get something else.

hiruu

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
I'm using my Surface Pro 3 right now! It has worked with no issues of note. Additionally, my brother and sister have Surface Pros, and they have worked fine...a Surface Pro 3 and a 4. Now...she DID have a Surface 2, and that died a few years ago. Microsoft couldn't fix it, but it was the Windows RT. So...mixed results, perhaps, but Surface Pro 3 and 4 have worked like a charm, from personal experience.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I really can't say anything negative about Surface Pro devices. The 3 and 4 have been solid, and you know if you've got a rare problem early on. I will dump all over Surface Books, however. The number of hardware failures and software bugs are unacceptable. Spontaneously failing bases, screens with color bands in them, and display driver issues are frequent.

jayfiled

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
We support around 100 surface pro 3 and 4s at work and let me tell you, in our case consumer reports is 100% accurate. However the % of issues would exceed 25% for us. More like 50%. They are hell to support. To be fair, Microsoft support and replacements are fantastic and the devices tick off all the boxes however they are unreliable and we have made the choice to move away from purchasing any future Microsoft hardware. But I can see why an end user would be satisfied. I personally am accepting the faults because I love the pen, size and support, but tell everyone to stick clear of them. Weird, huh.

flatulated

Prominent
Aug 13, 2017
97 issues out of 100 at work is related to ms surface devices! And the surface devices are much fewer that the other brand laptops and computers at use, that if anything is saying a lot about reliability!!!

Yes, ms is very generous replacing failed devices but I guess they can't afford leaving companies stranded cause they know what that would cost them!

But who knows how long that will last? Stay away is my recommendation too, specially if you are a regular consumer

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
MSFT talking BS when all their spyware is on by default, remember all the security holes/visus paradise when Windows built in firewall was off by default?

zippyzion

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Put me down for a data point in the positive experience category. My Surface Pro 2 has been flawless since purchase. The Surface 3 tablets that I use for work have also had zero issues. In fact, of the 5 or 6 people I know with Surface products the only issues I have seen were software issues, not related to Microsoft. So, actually, put me down for 8 data points in the positive.

pasow

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
i had a lot of issues with Surface Pro 4's on launch, but by my third one i got one with out hardware QA issues and have been stable. if i could have skipped that start, i could say its been flawless and constantly improving.

danielholzer

Prominent
Aug 14, 2017
I developed a major problem with my SB around 15 months (yellow circles under the monitor, probably problems with the adhesive), and while MS will replace it, the cost is prohibitive ($599) given that I have no confidence this won't happen to the replacement. I'd recommend anyone who is considering a Surface to get the care package (I now do for Apple products). Me, I'm going to stick to laptops that aren't over-engineered, and with parts that can be upgraded/replaced if necessary. With 20%-50% more power for 1/2 the price. I'm going to miss the tablet though.

Joker41NAM

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
I wouldn't trust MS's info, since it only counts systems they hear about. How many people have a problem, but don't know they can contact Microsoft for help? Or how many have problems after the warranty expires (which appears to only be 1 year)?

As a CR subscriber, and someone who has answered many of their surveys on various items (in fact, I have one waiting on me to answer now), I can believe their numbers much more readily...

tom42

Honorable
Oct 30, 2014
After putting up with the many fixes, patches, etc with Windows over many years, seeing any product with the name Microsoft on it is like seeing the Kiss of Death on it.

Fun thing about CR when ever I've studied up on an item they review and I go to buy it they are EOL, and there is a new model I've never heard of in its place, lol.

Surface users tend to be very loyal and a very very small group compared to all the brands and models of tablets out there. Surface users tend to stick with MS Surface no mater what in most cases. Personally I don't know anyone using a surface tablet so I don't have any 1st hand customer feedback on them. I've been selling them for awhile and they just don't move compared to the other brands. Personally I think they are too much like a desktop computer, and I don't want a tablet to act like one. I have and 2 Android and 2 iPads and no surface. I have three desktop computers so I don't see how a surface would improve things for me. That is not a put down on the Surface it just doesn't fit my needs. However I'm sure there are some that will swear by them and sing their praises.

Status
Not open for further replies.