Microsoft Unveils The Surface Pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
These guys need to have a serious talk with whomever is selling them 8GB of RAM for $300. Also — i5 to i7 is an extra $300? 256GB SSD to 512 GB upgrade is $400? Hmm.

This is why I always build my own PC, but when it comes to portable devices like this they've got us over a barrel. Any idea what components can be upgraded by the home user, or is it factory sealed as-is?

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
These guys need to have a serious talk with whomever is selling them 8GB of RAM for $300. Also — i5 to i7 is an extra $300? 256GB SSD to 512 GB upgrade is $400? Hmm.

This is why I always build my own PC, but when it comes to portable devices like this they've got us over a barrel. Any idea what components can be upgraded by the home user, or is it factory sealed as-is?
My surface pro3 is sealed and seems non-upgradeable... so chances are the surface4 is the same -- or they would add that to the marketing details.

Id like to be able to upgrade as well, but the manufacturer makes a lot more $$$ when they can get you to buy a full system, thus they build in this planned obsolescence.

WTB surface pro4 with 16G ram, i5 cpu and 512gb SSD
(the i5 is to keep heat down)

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

These companies make the real money off the upgrades, we know it's about $100 to go from 256 to 512 ssd and $40 to go from 4 to 8gb of ram.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Just got done talking to Microsoft, here's some extra information:

For both models processor specs:
i5 6300U with HD 520 @ 1000 MHz
i7 6650U with Iris Pro 540 @ 1050 MHz

dGpu for the book is an unnamed nVidia card with (only) 1GB GDDR5

The keyboard for the Book is mechanical.

DasBoot

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
You can thank Apple for starting the trend of overcharging for upgrades.
Why not when the folks dish out for them?

Jct

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
at the price of these ill be getting the Asus t300 chi. same specs as the lower end Surface for the most part and only $500 vs 900. im sure the surface has higher quality parts but they wont be $400 better.

InvalidError

Titan

Part of the reason for the steep pricing between models is precisely because they are non-upgradable so you have to buy what you want off the bat. Another part of it is the cost of warehousing a bunch of different models since they cannot be built-to-order quite with the same flexibility. I would almost not be surprised if the memory was also on-board to save space.

The joys of ultra-slim form factors, and this is only the beginning.

The difference is the Apple product is more idiot proof, and MS is run by idiots wanting to be Apple.

CRush1682

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
"The difference is the Apple product is more idiot proof, and MS is run by idiots wanting to be Apple."
LOL. Yup, you got it all figured out there buddy. It's always easy to spot the pragmatist with the balanced and unbiased point of view. Nice sound bite though, where'd you learn that one?

"I bet the i5 offered is really a dual core. I have not actually checked the model numbers but thats how it is for a lot of laptops."
All mobile i5's are dualcore, as are most i7's. Quadcore (8T) mobile i7's usually end with "Q" after model #. This is a thin tablet, not a Thinkpad W series or Asus ROG laptop. You're getting a dual core all the way up the model line.

As far as the pricing? This is up their in terms of engineering complexity as well as manufacturing cost. The Surface 3 Pro's are built extremely well, I'm sure these are as good or better. That explains the high starting price. Comparing a Surface Pro to something like the Asus T300 Chi is like comparing a Thinkpad to a Y Series Lenovo, an Inspiron laptop to a Precision laptop, a Dell Optiplex to an Acer Aspire.

The upgrade costs? Yeah, they're definitely making some money there, no doubt. As mentioned manufacturing costs and logistical costs go up with all the integrated components, that accounts for some, but not all of the premium pricing. Part of the price increases is probably "f u it's a good product, you want it or not?" money. Some will and can spend that, others won't and can't.

Jct

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Crush1682: like I said, it is a better quality than the t300 chi. but the asus isnt poor quality and the surface pro isnt $400 better quality than the asus. if you have the money for it then sure, go for it. but for most people something like the asus t300 chi will be better. Youll notice almost no performance difference and as long as you treat it well it will last just as long. Surface tablets are great. I truly love them, but not at that price.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
I would pick one of these up if the upgraded parts weren't so overpriced. If the upgrade costs were in line with the cost of the actual parts I could probably afford this, but $1800 for a laptop isn't happening.

G

They still selling them for two to three times what they're worth . . .

Want to be competitive? Price them competitively.

CRush1682

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Jct: I don't disagree that the T300 Chi is a great performer for the money, but again it's hard to compare the two. The Surface Pro 3 is lighter & thinner (when including keyboard), has better battery life, a nicer screen, a tougher chassis, and a more capable processor. It's arguably better in almost every category, and it'll put up with daily wear and tear of business use. I've worked with many professionals who carry Surface Pro 3's. Give those same guys T300 Chi's and I can almost guarantee they'd be cracking and falling apart in 1-2 years because of the abuse they would suffer. The Surface Pro 3's will hold up for professionals, and that's who they're marketed toward. It's a tool, not a toy.

TronX33

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
"Just got done talking to Microsoft, here's some extra information:

The keyboard for the Book is mechanical."
-chumley
Bullshit on the third one. Even if the mechanical key switches were heavily reduced in size, it would still make a device like the surface much thicker. The first and second points? Maybe

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
"Just got done talking to Microsoft, here's some extra information:

The keyboard for the Book is mechanical."
-chumley
Bullshit on the third one. Even if the mechanical key switches were heavily reduced in size, it would still make a device like the surface much thicker. The first and second points? Maybe

That was from a M$ rep. AND if you watch this video at 0:48 you can see the switches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfOe5mFbAE

Actually it's a funny story CRush my Microsoft Rep told me that during a training session we were all laughing so hard 1/2 of us had tears running down our faces, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS