Microsoft Urging Customers To Disable Windows Gadgets

Status
Not open for further replies.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I really like the Google sidebar. i would rather use the windows once since its built it, but it doesn't have as many widgets/gadgets.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Rick_Criswell[/nom]Most toolbars,gadgets,free add-ons etc are considered trojans. They do offer their basic function but underneath most track everything you do on the internet and reports it back to the publisher.[/citation]

I agre-

Oh look, a smiley face cursor! Hmm, it requires a 50 MB download. Meh, I want it anyways!

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
[citation][nom]leaderWON[/nom]people use these?[/citation]

Some of them are kind of handy. I run the MS CPU/Memory gadget so I can know what's going on at any given time with CPU and Memory resources without having to go to Task Manager. I also run the MS Weather gadget that can be configured to show the predicted weather for the next few days coming up. So yes, there's a couple useful ones, but most are not.

halcyon

Splendid
Wait, wait. Microsoft creates "gadgets" to copy the feature-set/functionality of OS X' widgets. Promotes the feature and now is turning around and telling us to stop using the feature because its a significant security threat? You. Have. Got. To. Be. Frick'n. Kidd'n. Me. ...right? As an OS X user I admit, I like Windows' gadgets and I believe the appropriate thing for MS to do is to FIX the frick'n security hole. How 'bout that, eh?! No, no. "If you buy our new Windows H8te OS you're good-to-go". I call bullsh*t. Fix it MS.

Next they'll be advising not to use the desktop or screen-savers because a security hole was found.

I really hope I mis-read the article in my skimming of it. If this was Apple the haters would be cumming all over themselves in self-righteous glee.

Frick'n disqusting.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
It's almost like they had this discussion in a board room meeting:

Suit A: "So, we want less gadgets in Windows 8. Hell, we really don't want any. Capiche?"

Suit B: "The people aren't gonna like that."

Suit A: "Hmmm...true....well, lets just release a 'security' warning about how 'unsafe' they are."

Suit B: "I like they way you think, sir."

Suit A: "I know."

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Well, the notepad, and it's numerous size iterations, along with a sleek black CPU/GPU meter, are my reasons why I object to this. Some gadgets let me organize my desktop while others let me view vital information in a peek. Still, if Microsoft goes ahead with its plans, the only thing I could issue is a stern-worded condemnation. CONDEMN! There, I'm done here.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I don't know what you people are complaining about but I might have to agree on this one. I had a system gadget installed to monitor my system but for some odd reason the network activity light would just go crazy on the router. I look at the sent/receive status on network properties of windows i see unusual spike in the amount of packets being sent and received. For the lights of me i couldn't figure what that was. I scanned for viruses checked online but no answers. So next thing i started to do is start end task programs . Eventually ended a program that stopped the surge. so i retraced my step and yep it was that stupid sidebar.exe. and i traced to what gadget was causing this yep it was that stupid monitor third party gadget. So yes these nice looking gadget opens a back door to your system!.

halcyon

Splendid

These are the exact gadgets I use as well, along with another that displays network traffic. They seem useful to me.

G

Disabled it the 1st time I used windows 7. No love lost, but no love will be given to the mistake of so called Windows 8.

[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Does this have anything to do with their recent chopping of Gadget support in Win 8?[/citation]
That would be my guess. . .Get the people convinced it is bad and that they do not need the feature anyway, that was they will not miss it. Next watch MS try to tell us the START menu is bad and is open to security issues ;)

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
And then you guys wonder Windows is not "secure" ok which one is going to be A back door gadgets or really keeping your system secure?

randomizer

Champion
Why is this any different to other Windows security flaws that get patched? I don't see Microsoft disabling Office when it has a security vulnerability, so why are they taking the shortcut approach this time?

halcyon

Splendid
Perhaps OSX' widgets are equally dangerous or even more-so but there's so few of us Apple sheep that its not relevant? I'll entertain that. ...worth a little research.

bspatial

Honorable
May 16, 2012
I invite all the Trojans to come to my computer. My antivirus made in China, designed in Russia will guarantee these intruders epic failure. LOL!

[citation][nom]ashinms[/nom]If someone took over my computer and started doing stuff on it the first thing I would do is pull the chord...[/citation]
you would never know they were there. It's not like your mouse would move, or that windows would open without you doing things. They would get in, copy everything, and get out entirely without notice, and the only proof you would have is the credit card bill at the end of the month.

G

[citation][nom]leaderWON[/nom]people use these?[/citation]
I do use it all the time in my windows 7 laptop. I have default CPU meter for viewing how much my single core cpu is performing and how much ram i have left before the computer slows down to a crawl. I also have Network Meter from AddGadgets that inform me of how fast is my internet and how much usage i have left in the given month.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ashinms[/nom]If someone took over my computer and started doing stuff on it the first thing I would do is pull the chord...[/citation]

While you're surfing Tom's Hardware, your computer is opening up 100 new email accounts and spamming away.

And you won't even know it, unless if you have one of those older less-stealthy botnet malware.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
I think MS is using the venerability this as an excuse to remove side bar so there wont be complanents of it not being in windows 8.
The side bar has been around for some time now and i never herd of problems with it.
And when there are venerability's in MS programs don't they usaly fix it no remove the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.