Microsoft Wants 5% Cut of Each New Windows PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
I think they should offer a retail version without including Tech support, I never need it, and I don't want to get OEM because I want to be able to move the OS from computer to computer as I upgrade with less activation issues. I am happy with the OEM pricing, but I want more flexibility without paying for their tech support.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]except then alot of people would be using Linux and everyone would start writing virus's for it. Of course then Microsoft could claim its secure. I hate it when people go oh well linux is secure, oh well apple is secure. Yep they are cause no one is going to try to steal information 2% of the computer market. They are going to focus on the other 98%.[/citation]

that analogy doesn't quite work since ~70% of web servers use linux or a variant that would make exploitation far more profitable... sure the install base is less but the rewards are far better...

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
So the 5% rule really isn't that bad. In effect it keeps cheap PCs and net books reasonably priced on the cheap side.

If the big OEMs had to pay $50 on a netbook for the OS prices would surely go up.

Think about it, if you buy an extreme PC for $3,000 you'd be paying a hidden charge of $150 for the OEM windows license. This would be in-line with what you'd pay if you bought the OEM version from an e-tailer. (Assuming you buy windows ultimate, which with a $3,000 PC you probably would be).

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]HVdynamo[/nom]I think they should offer a retail version without including Tech support, I never need it, and I don't want to get OEM because I want to be able to move the OS from computer to computer as I upgrade with less activation issues. I am happy with the OEM pricing, but I want more flexibility without paying for their tech support.[/citation]
You mean you want MS to bring out a whole new set of SKU's just so you dont have to do telephone activation so much? Really?

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]domenic[/nom]Why are pc manufacturers not going to like this? Do you think they expect to get windows for free? 5% sounds very reasonable to me.[/citation]
10-15 bucks times millions sounds more reasonable to me, MS makes billions on a monopoly that shouldn't be rewarded this much. Don't get me wrong, they should get paid couse they do have an excellent product and we appreciate it but the numbers they are making now are rather insane and we are the ones paying that.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
wtf??? windows is just software! the oem should only have to pay an oem price for a copy of the os to bundle with the pc, they shouldn't be paying Microsoft royalties! Microsoft had nothing to do with any of the pc components or how they are put together!

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Marcus, you need to change the title of this article, to prevent morons reading it, taking the wrong conclusion from the first sentance of a long article, and spewing bullcrap which for some stupid reason seems to drag me back through email to read them.

We all know it was purposely misleading.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Andraxxus[/nom]Well they aren't called M$ for nothing.[/citation]
^+1
But we all love our moneybags Gates... fuck Balmer though...

[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]Yet another thing that probably benefits most customers.Yet another thing that the EU will freak out over.[/citation]
^+1
We all love the EU... wait, no we don't.
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]They charge so much for the retail version because of the tech support. A customer can use up alot of tech support hours on seemingly trivial issues.[/citation]
Amen to that...
I've used up many hours of ViewSonic's tech support... won't fix my screen will you... you'll still pay anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.