Microsoft Yanks Windows 7 Download Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Now why am I not one bit surprised?

Used the tool myself to create a Windows 7 setup Flash drive for a system I was working on and the first thing I saw when running the tool was The Microsoft Store label on the dialog window.

The first thing that sprang to mind was WTF!!!

Granted, the tool was easy enough to use, but there was nothing transparent about it.

It was more like a Creating Windows 7 USB/DVD Setup for IDIOTS tool.

I looked at the "infringing" code... it was nothing more than one function that had a similiar name and provided a similiar function. How many different ways can you read bits from an ISO? This claim is not only false, but completely basless and just flat out wrong. The code looks NOTHING alike.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Rivera initially reported that he grew suspicious of the tool while poking through its code. "I had a weird feeling there was just wayyyyyyyyy too much code in there for such a simple tool," he said. Currently there's no word on when the Windows 7 tool will return to the online store.

If the source code was not offered publicly by Microsoft how did this guy look at it? Some sort of disassembler?

G

[citation][nom]papasmurf[/nom]If the source code was not offered publicly by Microsoft how did this guy look at it? Some sort of disassembler?[/citation]
On his Windows Blog, Rivera listed this tool as what he used.
http://www.red-gate.com/products/reflector/

RedGate offers a Free copy on their website.

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
That would be quite the hypocrisy, if they did it, not to mention rude.

Microsoft (like many other large corporations) would patent the air we breathe and the water we drink if they could.

And of course, they bitch about anything that remotely or seemingly infringes on their rights and patents, but they don't seem all that bothered with adhering to fair business conduct.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
[citation][nom]skittle[/nom]I looked at the "infringing" code... it was nothing more than one function that had a similiar [SIC] name and provided a similiar function. How many different ways can you read bits from an ISO? This claim is not only false, but completely basless [SIC] and just flat out wrong. The code looks NOTHING alike.[/citation]
Did m$ offered you their sources, if you're so sure? Binary code depends largely on the compiler, so any comparison is useless.
If micro$uxx was sooo innocent, why did they pulled it?
It wouldn't be the first time m$ "borrows" without acknowledge, or proper credit.
m$ loves licensing terms just it they line up their pockets...

logitic

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2009
Just got off work and I guess I am tired. What is the no-no that is being implied here? Could some one put this in layman's terms?

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]city_zen[/nom]'and WHO don't have an optical drive'[/citation]
Netbook users

Though I could have saved $30 and ditched the DVD drive on my comp... mighty tempting.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Microsoft being this long on the OS and application and server business, you'd think they have programs for every conceivable tasks under the sun. Well, maybe except one and to those fellas who need to use this download tool, tough luck, this is the one they forgot to make on their own.

G

@skittle and anamaniac:
city_zen was posting a grammatical correction, not asking a question.

@papasmurf:
Programs written in languages that use just-in-time (JIT) compilers (e.g. .NET and Java) are much easier to reverse engineer because they are initially compiled into an intermediate language. They are compiled into native code by the run-time environment when they are executed.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
For the netbook user and people whose optical drive is naff, instead of a downloadable file that you put on a USB, how about MS sell a retail copy of Windows on an SD card?

SD is certainly bootable, so why not? The form factor is way smaller and unless comparing to Bluray the capacity is way higher.

Distribute software on physical media via SD card FTW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.