News Microsoft: You Can't Get Around Windows 11 Requirements

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Romanio0089

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
You may be right, you may be wrong.

If all it takes is "a simple patch", be prepared for LOTS and LOTS of bogus 'patches', filled with malware.
No not that kind of patch. An installer patch. Windows 11 will just run on any hardware. It won't refuse to boot because you don't have TPM, or because you have a perfectly functionning 6th Gen Core i CPU. As long as you get it installed which is easy, it's fine. Maybe Secure Boot would cause a problem.

Last edited:

Romanio0089

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
Right now, we can use the Windows 10 installer files to bypass the requirements, or even simpler, deploy the image using the DISM tool in CMD. This will probably not change.

Romanio0089

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
I mean, people that don't really know much about tech might fall on malware while searching a patch. But the same can be said for any app they might try to download.

Romanio0089

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
I mean, people that don't really know much about tech might fall on malware while searching a patch. But the same can be said for any app they might try to download.

Romanio0089

Prominent
Apr 13, 2020
And Microsoft can't really change how Windows installs. Basically, Microsoft can't no matter how hard they try, prevent "unsupported machines" from running Windows 11, except if they change Windows and take the macOS approach for drivers.

Reactions: OwiHH

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Ridiculous! I have an ASUS X570 motherboard and an AMD 2700X CPU. And Microsoft says I can't run Windows 11?
Guess what?
I'm staying with Windows 10.
Buzz off Microsoft.
WhynotWin11 isn't that much better.
It reports that I am using a Legacy Boot Method. Wrong!
That error is probably because Compatibility Support Module (CSM) is enabled by default on many enthusiast products. CSM is not actually necessary if you have a PC or components from the past 4 years. Anything older than that is hit or miss depending on firmware. Disable CSM in BIOS/UEFI config, set Secure Boot to standard mode, and check the upgrader results again. It should pass.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
This has something to so with someone involved having their fingers in the pie, wanting to make bank. I'm cynical after being on this planet 5+ decades.

The only future I see is a whole lot of folks switching to an alternative OS.
Face it, the majority of casual PC users don't need much more than a basic gui that will let them cruise the net, watch youtube, use facebook, instagram and email.

I'm already looking into what version of Linux I'm gonna run after Win10 isn't supported anymore. There is a learning curve but most programs have a work around. Linux Mint seems fairly intuitive with a nice interface.

Fatalzo

Great
May 7, 2021
Well

Guys, I guess now might be the time to buy TPM chips, because when it launches, Windows 11 is gonna make them pretty valuable.

peter jaques

Commendable
Apr 17, 2020
It just means there will be a bunch of bootleg versions with assorted workarounds & hacks to allow installation a-la the hackintosh community and dark-site license verification/activation like that currently available for virtually all MS and other software. As usual, it'll only be legit installs that will be affected.

just fyi your information on hackintosh is from 2018. nowadays we use legit installers on top of a solid, foss substrate called opencore. everything is pretty dang secure and legit (except for that one pesky eula violation).

Old H-Ware Tech

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
Michelle, I don't agree that "requiring it is a move that favors pre-builts and risks leaving PC builders in the dust ". My current system and my next for which I already have a motherboard have no problems at all with the requirements. Both are X570 boards and while I don't yet have the processor for my next one I'm certain it'll be newer and more powerful than the R5 3600 in my current system. If someone wants to build a system that'll run Windows 11 there are plenty of motherboards and processors one can purchase that meet MS's requirements with no need to rely on pre-builts. I do agree they're being too restrictive on hardware that is allowed to run 11 but those restrictions are in no way driving me to buy a pre-built.

Makaveli

Splendid
Ridiculous! I have an ASUS X570 motherboard and an AMD 2700X CPU. And Microsoft says I can't run Windows 11?
Guess what?
I'm staying with Windows 10.
Buzz off Microsoft.
WhynotWin11 isn't that much better.
It reports that I am using a Legacy Boot Method. Wrong!

Upgrade to a Zen 2 or Zen 3 cpu and you are good both will be much faster than the 2700X. And you can do it next year prices will be lower.

My Asus motherboard has a "socket" for a TPM module. I'm wondering if - if and when prices come down - I could boot with a TPM module in place, then remove the module for actual operation?

What would be the point of doing this?

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
I still think that MS will relent and offer Win 11 without Secure Boot and the TPM requirement. They will create a new "Windows 11 Secure!" version and require some vulnerable corporate clients to adhere to a more secure environment. To have this level of security for the ordinary user is kind of pointless.
Maybe - or just extend Windows 10 support for a further 5 years

Reactions: TJ Hooker

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Individual PC Builders are left in the dust as Microsoft doubles down on its Windows 11 minimum requirements, a move that favors OEMs.

Microsoft: You Can't Get Around Windows 11 Requirements : Read more
Microsoft is doing the same crap they did with Win10. Setting requirement that really have basis in reality. Their next step will be to coerce software companies to make changes that will work only under win11. I never had a lick of problems with win7 yet several software companies made changes so their kit would not work under 7. What a bunch of hooey. And please cry about security or improved response. As I said I never had a lick of problems under 7. But then again I used common sense and Norton.

TRENDING THREADS