Microsoft's Spectre Fix For AMD CPUs Is Now On Windows Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meltdown was the only one that affected Intel and not AMD. Everyone knew that after the first 2-3 days the exploit was announced. It was a big deal because meltdown was really easy to implement, whereas Spectre was much harder.

alextheblue

Distinguished

They aren't vulnerable to Meltdown. When talking about Spectre things get fuzzier. They were vulnerable to variant 1 of Spectre, and less vulnerable to Spectre variant 2. They never said they were immune to it, but rather that it was low risk on their architecture. The truth is they're still vulnerable to some extent so they're fixing it regardless. Again, they don't have to worry about Meltdown, and the overall performance impact of these patches should be lower than Intel's hit.

Of course we won't be able to test that until Intel can put together some patches and microcode that don't make Intel systems unstable.

berezini.2013

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
Isn't there a lawsuit out for AMD for stating it was "immune"? I am pretty sure I saw a headline about that earlier last month

tazmo8448

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2011
My biggest question is the ramifications of the newest patch. Like does it cause issues like the previous one? What are the, if any, drawbacks and that sort of thing.

As far as things go these days concerning people that take it upon themselves to divulge information about things better left unsaid..you see it everyday all across the board...sad really.

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
The lawsuit against AMD is just lawyers trying to make a quick buck. AMD stated that architecture differences makes them immune to Meltdown and makes it difficult to implement Spectre on AMD machines. The lawsuit would also need some type of claim of damages. I don't think the lawyers can make that leap.

bentremblay

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
On W10 only? I use that PITA on my office-grade PC but stayed with Win7 on my game box.
And just bought new CPU ... first time Intel ... i5 8400 ... so kinda sweatingg the details.

lonepasserby

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Glad that the editors never fail to mention that it causes issues on old AMD chips and has not once mentioned that the patches have caused frequent reboots in Haswell and Broadwell chips. Gave me quite the headache until Microsoft gave an update that allows me to disable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.