Microsoft's Windows 10 Technical Preview 'January' Build Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanta

Reputable
Oct 23, 2014
OMG What an unmitigated disaster of a OS.

As the Madden Bothers said "We are done!"

I will be uninstalling the TP and putting linux back on my test PC.

IT would take me 100's of lines to describe the issues with the new build, and all it really shows is that this IS JUST WINDOWS 8.

I'll tell you one thing, I uninstalled as many modern apps as I could and removed all live tiles from the hybrid-start-menu and now I have a blank panel taking up 1/3 of my screen that can't be re-sized.

Bye Bye Windows.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
So, what you're saying is... it's testing quality software. Anyone expecting it to NOT look like 8.1 was deluding themselves as Microsoft has repeatedly said they are not abandoning the GUI changes made in 8.1. Anyone expecting a 'technical preview' to be production quality is pretty naive.

The real questions aren't what the desktop looks like, but whether they actually addressed any of the *many* problems with performance Windows NT has gained over the 20 years of existence. Apparently they still think marketing should be in charge of development, as they keep heaping on features rather than addressing fundamentals like drive access performance, raw compute performance, multitasking issues related to DirectX programs not playing nice especially on crash *looks at Bethesda*. About the only thing Windows does well performance wise is graphics rendering! That will only be quantified when non-debugging builds become available for performance testing to the public at large

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
The charms bar is gone! Good! That stuff is now accessible from one of the default "Places" in the Start menu. No bangs are shown in devices manager. This update automatically discovered the HP printer I had connected wirelessly and had the drivers and software installed before I even realised it. Pretty damn swank... I generally like how this Windows version is turning out.

Two things I don't like. 1) The Windows Update icon is no longer in the Control Panel. It's accessible under Settings-->"Update & Recovery" in the *tablet* style control panel . I only need *one* control where all settings should be accessible.
2)The Windows Update site displays a big user friendly install button when updates are available but does not list the updates until the user clicks the button which is really the wrong way to go about it. I want to see the updates first.

Innocent_Bystander

Honorable
May 2, 2013
No, it is just an 'update'. Mine is doing it right now.

Correct, with the small addition that you have to sign up for the Windows Insider program and download a small, 10MB file. (not the ISO). Once you run it, it'll ask you to restart your system and it will automatically open Windows Update and find the 2.8GB install file. From then on it's just a matter of following the instructions on the screen to upgrade an existing installation.

Win 8 and Win 7 are upgradeable, Vista needs a wipe and reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Just installed windows 10 preview on a VM. It does need a LOT of work (especially Cortana), but it isn't to bad, defiantly better than windows 8. The interface is a bit odd, but it just takes some getting used to.

Overall, it's taking shape but like the devs said it's gona be a while before win 10 because fully developed.

USAFRet

Titan

I was speaking of this latest release, not a whole new install. Upgrading an existing Win10 installation to this new one.

G

I just love an OS which does cool stuff for me when I don't ask for it. Firgure out who I am and send all my information online so it can be sold. End of Sarcasm.

This OS is free because it's a data collecting device. Free free free. No thanks. I'm typing this from a Debian computer. It's not just free, it's freedom. I would pay for my OS. But I can't accept an OS which collects my data. I want a product, not a mutual relationship, with my software providers.

Your argument is based on what you think of Windows 10 not on facts, it just shows you throw about random conclusions just because you're afraid of people seeing the crap you do online. Coming from you also who probably has not even used it yet. Show me a valid source which states that Windows 10 both steals your info and will be free (phone version will be free so far).

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
I wonder if Computer Management MMC in Windows will ever get an update, where it can tell the user the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drives and if Explorer will ever get full support of file paths longer than 255 characters. Also if the battery icon in the system tray will ever be able to display the discharge/charge rate, battery voltage and wear level like hwinfo32 does. It's about time we don't need third party tools to access this information.

G

I am on the preview program. I've been using windows 10 for a while. I just got the latest preview also, 9926. Would I use it on my personal computer? No. My gaming rig, sure.

I am afraid of people seing the crap I do online. Banking, investments, contracts with my clients. No very important things in the end of it all, but important to me. Why do you put a lock on your door? Afraid of what people might find? No. Afraid of coming home and not having a couch to sit on? You bet!

USAFRet

Titan

5 letters:
https

I gotta say, I am quite disappointed with the January update. I was very fond of the technical preview before but now I don't like some things. Here is what disappoints me:

1. There is a huge performance loss. Prior to the update, at idle my computer would use 1.2-1.4GB RAM. Now, after the update, it uses 2.7GB at idle, that is very high compared to before.
2. Cortana is a disappointment. I ask Cortana anything and the only thing that happens is she searches it on Bing. I said "Open the control panel" but she could not do that. There needs to be some new indexing system for Windows programs that allows Cortana to make use of them perhaps, something that could be incorporated in the future.
3. Fat minimize, maximize, and close buttons. I am not usually critical on graphicals but from a personal standpoint I do not like that.

However aside from those I do like some of the graphical transitions, they are very sudden and you will notice the changes. But there is more important stuff than that, and I want reasoning for another 1.3GB RAM.

hydac8

Reputable
Jan 13, 2015
I updated and I hate this even more , it is more 8-ish than ever there is no way I will ever use 10 if they keep going in this direction , this is not for me ,why don't they just do a better "engine" inside with a xp/7 theme and separate tablet phone cloud whatever , seems i'll be using 7 for a long time to come :|

Status
Not open for further replies.