Question Migrating a Raid-5 from a failed enclosure

Jan 9, 2022
Hello community,
I need some help and I know there is someone or multiple someone's here that know the answers. Here goes.

I had the power supply inside a OWS Mercury Rack Pro fail.
It had 4x 3TB drives in it setup in RAID 5. I cannot source a new psu for it as it's quite old. I had backup drives for all the data but of course one of my backup drives has failed while I was copying the data from it.
So my question is: Assuming the 4 drives are all still good (since it was the enclosure that failed), can I move those 4 disks to my desktop computer and access the data?

Any things to try would be great, I'll do it!

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
Hello community,
I need some help and I know there is someone or multiple someone's here that know the answers. Here goes.

I had the power supply inside a OWS Mercury Rack Pro fail.
It had 4x 3TB drives in it setup in RAID 5. I cannot source a new psu for it as it's quite old. I had backup drives for all the data but of course one of my backup drives has failed while I was copying the data from it.
So my question is: Assuming the 4 drives are all still good (since it was the enclosure that failed), can I move those 4 disks to my desktop computer and some access the data?

Any things to try would be great, I'll do it!

Thanks everyone.
What interface from the enclosure to the computer did you have ? The current OWC Mercury Rack Pro is a SAS interface.

kanewolf

Titan
That is correct. It was using a Newer Technology MAXPower RAID mini-sas 6G PCIe 2.0 card.
And OWC was no help in getting a replacement power supply ? I am surprised.
I assume you have opened the case to get a part number from the power supply. And googled for equivalent hardware. Devices like this use commercially available parts for things like power supplies.

Jan 9, 2022
I have yes. The part number in question is CFI-180PE-AT-1(NEW)
F6.3A/250V(250-300W)
F5A/250V(150-235W)

I have identified 2 burst capacitors on the psu. I have ordered some replacement capacitors to try and solder on.

kanewolf

Titan
I have yes. The part number in question is CFI-180PE-AT-1(NEW)
F6.3A/250V(250-300W)
F5A/250V(150-235W)

I have identified 2 burst capacitors on the psu. I have ordered some replacement capacitors to try and solder on.
Repair may be your best path forward.
You have SATA disks in RAID with a SAS interface. It is not obvious where the RAID portion is generated. I am guessing it is the controller card that is generating the RAID.
The pictures of that card show that some versions have an internal port. You might be able to get a SAS to SATA breakout cable -- https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Internal-SFF-8087-Breakout/dp/B012BPLYJC?th=1 Which might allow you to connect the drives to your PC internally. You would still need to power them, but that is another possibility.

kanewolf

Titan