[SOLVED] Migrating multiple windows form ssd to nvme

davrohano

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Hi,
I have a Samsung 840 pro 256GB ssd and bought an NVME Samsung 970 Evo 1TB. I used Samsung Migrating tool to migrate the two OS partitions (Windows 10 pro) to the new NVME. My second Windows 10 pro partition has various software I bought which when originally installed needed activation codes (which I provided). When I migrated to the new NVME (first partition same size as original ssd, but second partition has a new size), these software asks for new activation codes (which needed to be purchase because it sees it as a new installation), unlike Windows and office which do not ask.
I should note that using Samsung Migrating tool, the 1st partition loaded with no problem, but the 2nd one was not recognized, so I used Easybcd to put in the windows boot menu for it.
I guess the second partition has different parameters than the original one from the old ssd. Off course after I migrated the old ssd partitions to the new one, I disconnected the old ssd from the computer, so there will be no conflict.
Is there a way to make the new 2nd partition same as the old one, so all these purchased software would not ask for new activations ?

Solution
It depends on the software, a lot of our CAD software pulls the ID from the harddrive and gets tied to that. So even cloning a drive we have to call and get the Key deactivated and then reactivate it to the new drive.