Migrating Windows 8.1 to new SSD

Wralondite

Reputable
May 2, 2015
I just recently purchased a new SSD http:// for my build. Currently I have two other hard drives in my computer, one with Windows 7 installed and the other with Windows 8.1 installed.

My end goal is to have the SSD store Windows 8.1 for a fast boot time, and have all my personal files on the other two hard drives. I am looking for any recommendations or advice on how to go about this.

Wralondite

Reputable
May 2, 2015
Sorry, yes, I meant installing Windows on the SSD and deleting it off of the old hard drive. I was trying to simplify my title, and ended up making it more confusing. I have never used an SSD before and I don't know if I have to use the set up disc first, then install windows on it? Then how do I have Windows boot from the SSD but save my profile files to the old hard drives?

Markeus

Reputable
Mar 28, 2015

Do you mean your profile for Windows 8? Fragmenting your OS data across drives is not recommended at all, and I'm pretty sure almost impossible. It is also, counter-intuitive to the whole point of SSDs—which is to speed up data transmission for processes.
If you've connected your Microsoft Account/activated your Windows 8.1, then the next time you setup Windows 8 and try to log into your MS account, it will automatically offer you the chance to sync your profile from the other computer.