Minecraft Creator: Let's Settle Scrolls Dispute in Quake

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]lukeiamyourfather[/nom]What? Battlefield 1942 came out three years later. Quake 3 Arena is the old school.[/citation]
It's also a game that's 5x better than Quake ever was. Tanks, Cruisers, Bombers, huge maps. I've had all of my best gaming moments playing that.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]droking[/nom]It surprised me that they are even suing minecraft over use of scrolls might as well go after diablo series too since they contain scrolls in these games as well *roll eyes*. Even this move surprised me by Bethesda it shows they are declining in their quality of making games if they are so threatened... plus how can Minecraft and Scrolls by beth be so confusing!?!?!?[/citation]

Make no mistake, Bethesda (like any sufficiently large company) has a well-tended stable of lawyers and paralegals and paralegal's assistants and interns that do nothing all day but scour the world for the chance to pounce on any violation of their company's property/wealth, be it IP or otherwise. This lawsuit is nothing more than a zealous staff lawyer trying to look good to the boss by bringing a high profile suit out in the name of "protecting the company". I for one hope he gets his *** handed to him and is sent packing. We have enough litigation with issues that actually matter, much less this nonsense. Evil lawyers, GTFO!

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
While I think the idea of this is awesome (Plus 1 for Quake 2, MY favorite Quake installment...) I think this is one case that actually has some merit...

Every time I hear the 'Minecraft *something something* Scrolls' I am wondering if this has something to do with Elders' Scrolls. I am sure this is primarily because I play neither Minecraft, nor Elders' Scrolls, nor do I even know what genre either belongs to, let alone the new installments such as Scrolls or Elders' Scrolls 5... I have also never played Minecraft, nor did I know what it was until last week.

But to the uninformed, like myself, this is kind of confusing.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
notch you just made my whole week. Literally burst out laughing when I read this. Awesome dude. If bethesda says no they get hardcore gamer backlash, if they say yes, god I hope they stream it live

tgoyer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]LOL whippersnappers. If its not Q1 dm shotguns-only its not a challenge...[/citation]

ActionQuake FTW TBH.

Coastaltuba

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]omg lol. What is it with the presumption that any gamer is proficient at Q3A? Why not make it a real challenge; set 3 of the Minecraft devs at the new Skyrim game, and set 3 of the Bethesda devs at the new Scrolls game, and see who gets to the end first! Winner gets to pick the losers next game name. I can see all kinds of unexpected consequences coming from this; imagine if bethesda wins and declares that the name for the new Minecraft release they are "comfortable" with is merely a prefix away : "SucksComparedToTheReal Scrolls"[/citation]
Are you stupid, or just trolling? I'm pretty sure that the next game from Notch will be somewhat like Minecraft, in the way that it is never-ending.

gfair

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
Bethesda won't go for it because they don't have the skills. Bethesda: "I move forward and backward and left and right with keys on this keyboard? Won't I just end up typing WASD?"

echdskech

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2007
[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]BUT GUYS!!!!!How are the lawyers going to get their big bonus checks if they duel it out in Quake?[/citation]

Bethesda will make a counter-challenge: A Quake duel... between our best lawyers against your best lawyers.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]While I think the idea of this is awesome (Plus 1 for Quake 2, MY favorite Quake installment...) I think this is one case that actually has some merit...Every time I hear the 'Minecraft *something something* Scrolls' I am wondering if this has something to do with Elders' Scrolls. I am sure this is primarily because I play neither Minecraft, nor Elders' Scrolls, nor do I even know what genre either belongs to, let alone the new installments such as Scrolls or Elders' Scrolls 5... I have also never played Minecraft, nor did I know what it was until last week.But to the uninformed, like myself, this is kind of confusing.[/citation]

by that logic than rolex should sue anyone else who makes watches, because it may confuse people who dont know about watches.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]by that logic than rolex should sue anyone else who makes watches, because it may confuse people who dont know about watches.[/citation]
That does not follow. This isn't a case of looks or similarly configured devices, like iPad and the Samsung Galaxy Tab EU injunction. This is a case of the official title of the merchandise by the company confusing consumers because it has a part of the name in it.

This is like how the Avatar movie had to have it's name changed to 'The Last Airbender' because James Cameron got there first with the 'Avatar' name. I can't tell you how many people were talking to each other with long conversations before either realized they were talking about the other movie...

'Hey did you see the Avatar Movie? It sucked.' - Jane
'Avatar, yeah, the 3D gave me a headache.' - John
'Yeah the CGI was pretty bad.' - Jane
'No, I thought the CGI was pretty good, the 3D just gave me a headache.' - John
'What, are you talking about the blue alien movie?' - Jane
'Yes, what movie were YOU talking about?' - John

This game called 'Scrolls', to the uninitiated, IS JUST LIKE THAT...

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]This game called 'Scrolls', to the uninitiated, IS JUST LIKE THAT...[/citation]

Except nobody talks about the Elder Scrolls series. Unless they are talking about this lawsuit.

dangerboyjtf2

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
This is pretty smart on Notch's part. He gets good PR from gamers for doing something like this, and Bethesda look like the bad guys by saying no. And if it were to happen (which it absolutely won't), both sides would get good PR for doing it.

Shame on you Bethesda, anyone who plays the "Scrolls" games calls them by their names, ie. Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc...likewise everyone says "Minecraft" not "Scrolls" or "Minecraft scrolls"...even you know that.

malphas

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Whatever else does happen as a result of this asinine dispute at least it's plenty of free publicity for Scrolls (or whatever it ends up being called).

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I hope they go to court and win. Really? Owning a word from a whole title? That's terrible. Fine, someone will own A, The, Christmas, Wind, Gone, Fortress, Strike, Counter.......

Idiot law suit.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
And Bethesda hires 3 of the top players in the world. Still an awesome idea and great PR for both parties if Bethesda actually defends their honor (doubtful).

Status
Not open for further replies.