Minecraft Creator Notch Says EA is Destroying Gaming

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

If the interest of say an "indie" is left to that of not in which is still of say "indie" probably does leave an interest of "indie" to itself.

What is there to argue to say at a time other then on an interest of "indie" there is say the partial "loss/lose" of such??

And of such for so of "indie" rather of such for the place of interest for such that is not to say left with that of say what is "indie"?

Seems to find the debate of rather really matters for itself rather of just if there is any interest for what there is at a time, and what that can be can probably be any guess.

Of guessing to say at a time , what really is of it though in terms of the say "interest" of release?

Is kinda questionable in itself to say at a time but of such is to say there isn't.

"EA Indies Bundle Pack" what is there to say question or ask of such on?

It's EA. Like that of interest of publishers and say studios (developers) maybe more the say but still.

At anytime is the interest of "Indie/indie" and what is still that of say be for such.

Console still least argues an interest of "standard" for that of publishing and say studios/developers. Publishing studio make still be of interest of such at a time given of such some are developers as well. And of such for that of indie is probably left to rather there is that of no more but "indies" to say.

Probably meaningless in itself to say at a time for whatever there, but to say all has no meaning for itself rather as itself or what is there from to itself at a time is probably again fairly debatable.

Davil

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
I don't really see Indie developers as having "turned the platform around" PC gaming hasn't really changed much for me. Other than some games that were PC exclusive like Elder Scrolls turning to a more console friendly type of game they're still great games. EA is doing what EA does, and that's promote their games and since the developers for those games were Indie developers that just used EA as a publisher I don't see the issue. If I was going to develop a game I'd use whoever would publish me. Just cause a game is made by EA doesn't automatically make it good or bad. Same with Bethesda, id, Valve, Ubisoft, etc.

wasabi-warrior

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
i agree with Notch, kindof. Im not hating on EA, they do make (or publish) the occasional good game. But the definition of "indie" is that its a small group or individual developing something without the financial backing of a corporate giant, just like EA. EA cannot publish indie games, theyre too big, it simply doesnt fit the definition.

On another note, I rely on indie games to deliver something left of field, something different from the same stuff generally published by a gaming giant. EA found something good and ran with it. It happens to be FPS and racing (mostly). Indie on the other hand, can bring out something like Minecraft, which is part of a genre rarely found elsewhere. Rock on, indie gaming.

[citation][nom]wasabi-warrior[/nom]i agree with Notch, kindof. Im not hating on EA, they do make (or publish) the occasional good game. But the definition of "indie" is that its a small group or individual developing something without the financial backing of a corporate giant, just like EA. EA cannot publish indie games, theyre too big, it simply doesnt fit the definition.On another note, I rely on indie games to deliver something left of field, something different from the same stuff generally published by a gaming giant. EA found something good and ran with it. It happens to be FPS and racing (mostly). Indie on the other hand, can bring out something like Minecraft, which is part of a genre rarely found elsewhere. Rock on, indie gaming.[/citation]

Well, technically, EA simply published games that were developed by small groups outside of EA, didn't they? So they could count because they weren't developed by nor with EA's help, EA simply got their name out there.

wasabi-warrior

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]Well, technically, EA simply published games that were developed by small groups outside of EA, didn't they? So they could count because they weren't developed by nor with EA's help, EA simply got their name out there.[/citation]

Exactly my point, they had financial backup in the form of publishing and marketing aid. Still doesnt count. Indie is done the hard way, relying on yourself or the small group around you who are involved directly with the game.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Have you noticed how many company names pop on your screen when you open a game nowadays ? There's a full bar of corporations logos and you wonder who exactly made the game ? I say we stop buying until they meet our demands, Short Loading and No Installation time (USB stick ready to run, save game files on PC), Quality Games that are stable and don't crash, Not requiring "driver updates" (Ooops, we F-ed up), remove star-uni-ms "copyright protection" modules that act as virus-malware, Install proper Anti-Cheat technology so people actually enjoy online games, in other words, alpha & beta versions for programmer testing will not connect or play online, anti-cheat will be embedded in the retail version.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Notch must stop being such a poopy head and just be glad that there are platforms such as steam that keeps me buying and playing great original games. I don't see the gaming industry as being in need of saving.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I guess the big issue here is good developing companies like Bioware, Lucasarts and Cryptic, being bought and made to produce run of the mill crap by corporate shells like EA, Activision, etc...
DA & DA2 for example, great games in themselves, but the theme of killing undead or dragons is so beat up and old. The extremely limited selection of races and classes is absurd and an insult to D&D.
To me Indie is producing a game like Overlord & Overlord 2, thinking outside mainstream and capturing the audience with it's plot and gameplay.

G

Came across this while trying to figure out what the deal with Minecraft was lol. I've never particularly been a fan of EA myself (the only game I've ever owned from them is Orange Box solely for Portal), not because of their business practices or anything, but just lack of interest in the games they produced. Of course I wouldn't count myself in the 'hardcore gamer' group (competitive battling in Pokemon, and anything from the Capcom, Namco, and Arcsys fighting games are as close as I get), so maybe I'm missing something, but EA's games always had a feeling of blandness to them. Of course that's the opinion of someone who thinks Megaman 2 and 3 are the pinnacle of gaming XD

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Came across this while trying to figure out what the deal with Minecraft was lol. I've never particularly been a fan of EA myself (the only game I've ever owned from them is Orange Box solely for Portal), not because of their business practices or anything, but just lack of interest in the games they produced. Of course I wouldn't count myself in the 'hardcore gamer' group (competitive battling in Pokemon, and anything from the Capcom, Namco, and Arcsys fighting games are as close as I get), so maybe I'm missing something, but EA's games always had a feeling of blandness to them. Of course that's the opinion of someone who thinks Megaman 2 and 3 are the pinnacle of gaming XD

You missed of course EA early history of Sports and Action genre that made them so big, of course those day are gone. :cry:

snowzsan

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Before I address the article, let me quickly say something about some of the comments. "Blaming consoles" is an idiots way of saying "I spent too much money on my PC." A lot of folks know that if you pick up a title on shelves at a game store it has a list of minimum and recommended requirements. If you see that this game requires a 2GB or higher GPU and go out and purchase Tri-SLI cards anyway, you cannot complain and say "PFFT THESE GAMES ARE WEAK LOLOLOLOLOL." If consoles are still capable of playing modern games, then get over it. I see on here all the time "graphics don't make a game u n00b" but yet, that's the primary whining point of a good chunk of PC gamers.

We get it. Shut up.

That said it doesn't matter what EA does. They're not killing gaming, we are. They only mass produce these titles, and they wouldn't if we weren't buying them. I see where Notch is coming from with these comments and I understand what he means but these overly forward publishers and developers really need to understand that it's a damn industry, and regardless of their status they cannot go around bashing other developers because "they gotz mad respect, yo!" It's not going to deter me from buying their titles but it does make them look like idiots.

Case in point: Gabe Newell. He's a funny guy in some things you read, then in others he's a downright moron. Not a year goes by that I don't hear him whining about something. It's tiresome that whenever there's anything written about the gaming industry, one of his comments is buried in the article somewhere and he's complaining.

Generally, they only make what we buy. So get over it. Also, isn't the goal of any developer to make it big? What the hell is the point of doing something for profit if you're not going to try and increase your profit margin? Seems pretty stupid to me.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I also agree with those who won't buy EA games. I'm exactly the same.

I used to buy nothing but EA as was a big Battlefield 1942 fan. Buy then alaong came BF2, great game at release, but EA sought to alter it to stop the crying kids who were under age anyway and got owned by better players. After all the mods and reductions in accuracy etc, I quit and vowed never to buy EA again.

I then got tempted by BF play for free which again was great. Was just feeling tempted to give up my prinicples and buy BF3 when EA comes in and dumbs down BFPlay for Free by removing all of the accuracy once more in the weapons, dumbing down the helos etc.

That's why I won't buy EA games. You buy one thing at purchase and then 2 months later the game is dumbed down to totally something else play wise.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I disagree, much like the music industry they rely on the stupid masses purchasing a minimum of anything they produce, enough to make a nice profit and not care about the quality or creativity of their games. Monopoly means winning by numbers and by default.

w0_od

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
in the end it is up to the consumers to determine what they want. You cannot blame EA or any of the big publishers who are mainly feeding the consumer want. It is up to the consumers to educate themselves and to make informed decisions. If they continue to purchase the regurgitated bland offering like mana from heaven then /shrug it is the consumers fault for being stupid. The mass are sheep and sheep are dumb..

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
whats funny to all ya youngsters is that any C64 gamer would tell you back in the early days (80's) that EA was true savior of games back then. If you got a game with the EA logo, you knew it was going to be good and that it wouldn't be buggy as heck.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
whats funny to all ya youngsters is that any C64 gamer would tell you back in the early days (80's) that EA was true savior of games back then. If you got a game with the EA logo, you knew it was going to be good and that it wouldn't be buggy as heck. Hate to tell ya people, no game today compares with some of the games made back then in ancient 2d 8bit graphic. Back when games were good to be god for the "elite" gamers back then (1% of the population) vs blather of gamer today that make up 99%. There aint a game yet that competes with Civilization 1.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Back to EA, anyone play campaign on BF3 ? In the very first level one of the allied chars. says "Our founding fathers were terrorists.". Where have we heard that before, the DHS Gestapo & the new militarized LEO teachings.
People have lost it completely, they do not know that a terrorist is not simply an enemy combatant ?
Terrorists are NOT guerrilla soldiers, in fact some are not soldiers at all. Terrorists are cowards who attack civilians in public places to get mass casualties or injuries. They are also saboteurs of equipment not necessarily weapon systems nor military targets. Here comes EA to muddle the issue, brainwash our children & call veterans & truth seekers terrorists.
I will never buy EA products again.

Status
Not open for further replies.