Minecraft Current Revenue Total: $33 Million

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
there is a documentary of him and his coworkers on gametrailers...

...he really is a good guy, with a good heart. he comes off as very humble, i think he deserves these riches, even if minecraft isn't a completely original idea. i bought it in alpha, and played for a few weeks before getting bored. was it worth $10? hell fukin yes.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
"without offering a single demo to test-drive"

I think you need to double check your sources on that. There is a free version which can only be played online in the browser, but it gives you a good idea as to what the game is about. That's how I evaluated it before I opted to get addicted, erm, I mean buy it.

G

It makes me happy to see a case like this. To be able to do something that comes naturally is like a dream; not to say there weren't problems along the way, because that would be absurd.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I just took a leap of faith when I purchased the game, My friends thought it was good so I took the jump and got it.

Awesome game, well worth the money and will provide years of fun with online servers.

G

boring game, played the free version for about hour, thought meh.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalexplosives[/nom]boring game, played the free version for about hour, thought meh.[/citation]

Yeah, the free version is nothing at all like the paid version.

ElectroGoofy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jasonpwns[/nom]Yeah, the free version is nothing at all like the paid version.[/citation]

^This

Paid version is SO much better... been playing it for 4 months now... best ~$17.50 I have spent on a computer game, imho....

Anyway, one topic: I was just playing it a couple of hours ago, then saw a picture of it on the side of the screen while browsing Tom's Hardware and was like "Whuh...? Didn't expect to see that here." But yea, epic game!

[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]Paid version is amazingThis is why i built a high end gaming machine[/citation]
And is why I am planning on getting a decent laptop soon ;)

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]ElectroGoofy[/nom]^ThisPaid version is SO much better... been playing it for 4 months now... best ~$17.50 I have spent on a computer game, imho....Anyway, one topic: I was just playing it a couple of hours ago, then saw a picture of it on the side of the screen while browsing Tom's Hardware and was like "Whuh...? Didn't expect to see that here." But yea, epic game!And is why I am planning on getting a decent laptop soon[/citation]
My POS laptop with a Turion Intel processor and integrated graphics can play this. You don't need anything near a good computer.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]My POS laptop with a Turion Intel processor and integrated graphics can play this. You don't need anything near a good computer.[/citation]

Turion is AMD, silly. There is no Turion Intel CPU.

jojoman88

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Just like the World of Tanks game. I joined the closed Beta and now I'm hooked on the game. Now that it is going V1.0 soon, I'm going to pay some money so I do not have to start all over again.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Only stupid people get addicted to time wasting crap like this. These figures prove there are a lot of idiots.[/citation]

What about "regular" pc games? Surely there are way more people addicted to those games than minecraft. Is that crap too?

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Only stupid people get addicted to time wasting crap like this. These figures prove there are a lot of idiots.[/citation]

And one rich Markus Persson.

And did I contribute? Hell. Yes.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]"without offering a single demo to test-drive"I think you need to double check your sources on that. There is a free version which can only be played online in the browser, but it gives you a good idea as to what the game is about. That's how I evaluated it before I opted to get addicted, erm, I mean buy it.[/citation]
There was also a weekend during alpha where you could download the full game for free because the paypal service wasn't working or some odd thing. (only reason I remember is because this is when I bought the game)
Despite the obvious trolling ... Yeah, its so stupid compared to spending hours playing soldier in CoD or watching television.

Personally, I love this game, but I can see how some people just don't have the mindset for it, just like I don't care for the CoD series. If you don't like games that don't have a clear goal or are able to be 'won' it's not going to be for you. Just like some people like to play with a random box of legos whereas others need a specific lego kit with instructions how to build what's on the front of the box and others don't like legos at all.

vvarreng

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
I love people who create programs they don't even know will get them rich and they don't give a damn about the money and only care for the customer playing. True passion and I admire every ounce of it. Being humble is part to any success I feel and he shows it. I love you for that. =)

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Only sad part is that beta owners have to pay for the full version if they want it, although beta will continue to get updates. Alpha paid users get the full version for free along with updates, although it may not be the developers fault at this.

flightmare

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
[citation][nom]dalta centauri[/nom]Only sad part is that beta owners have to pay for the full version if they want it, although beta will continue to get updates. Alpha paid users get the full version for free along with updates, although it may not be the developers fault at this.[/citation]
I think it is a reward for the players who took the leap of faith.

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]cyprod[/nom]"without offering a single demo to test-drive"I think you need to double check your sources on that. There is a free version which can only be played online in the browser, but it gives you a good idea as to what the game is about. That's how I evaluated it before I opted to get addicted, erm, I mean buy it.[/citation]
Yes get your facts straight dude

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
And you spend your time bringing meals to the elderly and helping clean up at the orphanage?

ti1706

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]there is a documentary of him and his coworkers on gametrailers......he really is a good guy, with a good heart. he comes off as very humble, i think he deserves these riches, even if minecraft isn't a completely original idea. i bought it in alpha, and played for a few weeks before getting bored. was it worth $10? hell fukin yes.[/citation]

Deserves? I doubt it. He's refused to listen to player suggestions, he's implemented useless features (glitchy beds, anyone?) before his promised modding support or proper texture pack support. He's implemented other's code with little credit given to them (not that they asked for it)... and he implemented it improperly at first.

I don't care for his business practices, either. Charging Beta buyers AGAIN for the full version? It's virtual LEGOS... it's not worth the $50 (20 for beta, 30 for full). Lastly, back in alpha, their website stated the game could be "returned for any reason within 7 days". Needless to say, they lied.
... or I wouldn't be bothering to post this.

On a (less pissed) side note, the game does not run well on laptops and older pcs. It works fine for me, but my buddy's new (low-end) laptop struggles, even with Optimine (which makes it barely playable). It wouldn't start at all on my family's old XPs.

Status
Not open for further replies.