[SOLVED] Minecraft open to LAN not working

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Hello,

I've tried playing minecraft with my friend in the same house over the LAN and he can't seem to discover my server. He can ping my ip and get a response but aren't able to see it on minecraft. I've tried disabling firewalls and it still wont work. I've port forwarded the router as well.

Solution
Ok so now it works, I went onto "Network" on File Explorer and it was saying I wasn't sharing with my network, so I clicked on it and enable it and now it works (IP with port). I guess avast disabled it maybe?

Thank you both for trying to help, I appreciate it very much.
I have not run a minecraft server so can this run with no internet connection or is there a requirement your server somehow register.

What IP address are you using the local lan ip or the wan on your router. Port forwarding makes no difference when you are using the LAN ip the traffic never even passes through the router chip it stays on the switch ports. To use the WAN ip when you are connecting to a server on the same lan is messy. The router needs a feature called hairpin nat. There is not way to tell if it has this or not, they generally don't even document the feature if it has it.

If you are using the lan IP it then has to be something with the minecraft software. You can fairly easily test what traffic is getting there. Load a program called wireshark. You should be able to see any traffic coming or going from your server. You will for example see the ping command and the response. You should also see any traffic being sent from the other machine even if it does not open the session.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
It’s just an open to local network (same computer can join) but normally you can join with the computers ip on the same network.

the ip is the the host computers ip 192.168.x.x and yes port forwarding was a silly idea but it was for other friends to join but we couldn’t even get the local ones to join.

ive noticed an issue, computer A (host) can’t ping Computer B but Computer B can ping A. Could this be a fire wall issue? I’ve tried disabling the fire wall on both and still having this issue

It's your or his windows firewall. Check both and enable all the JAVA and JAVAW related firewall settings to both public and private being open.

When windows defender firewall popped up for the program, he didn't check to enable "PRIVATE".

rwmj2zxt4k031.png

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I’ve checked his and I’ve enabled them all on his (I’m unsure whether a reboot is necessary) but I wasn’t able to check mine as I use avast premium and it has a strange UI to follow so I couldn’t find it. I could see Java SE which I select All connections. But it’s strange as I disable the firewalls on both computers and still couldn’t connect. And then I tried pinging each computer but one can talk to one but the host can’t talk to the other which makes me think it’s not to do with the minecraft Java

javaw was the program I needed enable private to play minecraft with my son over the LAN.

Since you can't ping the other computer, then it's some kind of firewall issue on the network switch or computers. Is the network gateway and subnet masks the same address for both computers? Should be the ip address of your router.

Also try enabling incoming echo requests: To do so, click Start > Run > firewall.cpl > Advanced > Settings. The only option that should be checked is Allow incoming echo request.

Also, make sure you turn off ipV6 on your router and computers.

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I've check and javaw is enable on both computers.

Both the network gateway and subnet masks are the same and the ip is 10 up than mine (x.x.x.120 / x.x.x.130)

I've got the the advanced setting s but I'm unsure where you see the checked options as I can only see WDF with advanced Security (inbound/outbound), I've looked online and I have enable File sharing ( echo request .. IPV4-in) and the IPV6 is disable in here

https://snipboard.io/gsmiuN.jpg
https://snipboard.io/9EGg3e.jpg

Do you have another router laying around? You don't need internet to play minecraft locally on the LAN. So if you have another router, you can both plug into that offline.

At this point, I'm leaning towards your router being the issue and not your windows firewalls. What router model do you have?

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I don't unfortunately, I have a TP-Link Archer VR400 but we both use TP-Links and mine copies the smart 5ghz name and his I'm guessing doesn't copy it, could this be a problem?

I've looked on the router settings and there is a firewall on it, not sure what it is but here:
https://snipboard.io/K1Mivq.jpg

I feel like the problem is more aimed towards his computer being able to ping my computer, however I can't ping his

Last edited:

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
I do apologise, I should've made it clearer. We both have different TP-Link Power line to ethernet connection, two different types, mine came with the one plugged into the wall downstairs connected to the router and his connects to that as well. However mine is also a wifi booster but my computer is just connect via ethernet and so is his. I'm guessing this is the issue here as my network in the corner says TP-Link_5G as it clones the router downstairs (on smart setting) and his is just TP-Link

So should I disable what you said or do something?

edit: Ok so I've gone onto a laptop and ping my computer and got a response but when I ping the laptop i get request timed out. So it's definitely to do with my computer
edit2: turns out my computer (A) can ping Laptop (C) but can't (B), (B) can (C) not (A), (C) can (B) not (A). I'm quite confused by this, maybe it is the router again

Last edited:

James Noscoper

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2014
Ok so now it works, I went onto "Network" on File Explorer and it was saying I wasn't sharing with my network, so I clicked on it and enable it and now it works (IP with port). I guess avast disabled it maybe?

Thank you both for trying to help, I appreciate it very much.

Solution