Question Minecraft server disables entire network at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

walkman461

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2016
I have a computer at home serving as a server running Windows 10 with Ubuntu installed on a VirtualBox only for running a Minecraft Server.
This server is connected to the internet via cable using a powerline.

This worked fine.

My network setup was temporary and I decided to move my powerline to another outlet for cable management reasons.

Everything still worked fine until a few hours later, I get knocked off of the server (Timed out) with no other errors.
Also the internet connection in the entire house is gone for about 5-10 minutes.

The server does not crash and after the internet at home is back up, people can join again.

However, whenever I try to join again from my home network (via cable or WiFi on a desktop or a laptop), the same thing keeps happening.
I have tried several things that exclude me from thinking it is a minecraft server error.

Things I have tried:
  • Move the powerline back
  • Move the powerline to a new outlet
  • Try different minecraft accounts (excluding player data corruption)
  • Use different network cables
  • Connecting to the minecraft server via a Hotspot (4G) - Worked perfectly
  • Changed static IP's of the Host PC, Virtualbox and Client PC
Anything I could try or check?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look at the DHCP and static IP addresses being assigned to network devices.

If you did not assign and reserve a static IP address for the Minecraft server then I suspect that there is a duplicate IP address occurring when some other device joins the network.

Ensure that all devices have only the wired or wireless network adapter enabled. One or the other. Not both.

walkman461

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2016
Okay, I gave both the Ubuntu inside the VirtualBox (with the server) and the desktop PC (trying to join the server) a static ip different from the ones they had before, but still the same result. I don't know what to do with the DHCP you say though.

Also both are wired and do not have on-board WiFi.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

What static IP addresses are you assigning? What is the allowed DHCP IP address range used by the router for your network?

You do not need to post (nor should you) your public IP address being assigned to your router by your ISP.

walkman461

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2016
I read in another thread that I found that my network might be making a loop via my port for some reason. Anyone who has any clue if this might be a possibility and/or might have a workaround for that? Just for the sake of trying what I haven't tried yet. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.