Question Minerail Oil PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 19, 2019
I have read all topics in Here, I saw LTT videos and even so, I found very few and very old info about it.

I want to build a mineral oil submerse PC because I think is cool. Simple as that.

To keep it short, my current plan is:

High end PC. (RTX 2080ti)
Aquarium made of glass, around 60cm Image here

*I really, really dont want to use a radiator. I think i cant get away with that:

My fear:
1- Glass break due the weight of motherboard, etc.
2- Oil corrodes the glue (silicon I think) and spill all over the place.

Idea: try to substitute the back plate and the bottom for metal ones, for better heat exchange...

Anyway, any tips of experienced users would be appreciated.
As soon I get it going I post pics and updates here.

Feb 19, 2019
Nice maths over there. In fact, most of I read is a 24/7 system resting around 48c, and under heavy load resting around 80c.

I believe in those numbers, since at 80c the tank will irradiate a lot more heat to ambient that it would at 50c.
IF it rests a 80c, well, all parts are said to withstands even more, so I think Its possible to work for years... my fear is: Will the glass and the silicon used to seal it withstand those temps?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Nice maths over there. In fact, most of I read is a 24/7 system resting around 48c, and under heavy load resting around 80c.

I believe in those numbers, since at 80c the tank will irradiate a lot more heat to ambient that it would at 50c.
IF it rests a 80c, well, all parts are said to withstands even more, so I think Its possible to work for years... my fear is: Will the glass and the silicon used to seal it withstand those temps?
If your oil is at 80C, your components are going to be at 100+ C...

If that 24/7 use includes limited lengths of heavy use interspersed with longs periods of idle or light use then you may not have an issue with oil getting too hot. But having to artificially limit the length of time you can game to prevent your PC from overheating seems like it would be pretty annoying.

DSzymborski

Titan
My main concern: Radiator: I dont want to use one, for a number of reasons.

What makes me think I can get away with it:

1. My room have AC, and I turn it on everytime I feel hot.
  2. I dont need to make overclocks, the "auto" overclock on GPU and CPU is enough for me.
  3. My aquarium of choice would be made of glass, with 10gal-39L, (using a 15.5gal-59L is also a option). Glass is as good as water for dissipate heat.
  4. I wont be doing sessions longer than 5h of gaming.
  5. I can try to use a lot of saving energy configs to try get away with a high end PC. Sleeping mode or turn if off frequently will be not inconvenient since I will be using a 970 EVO.

My biggest fear: Glass breaking up for some reason and destroying my room (carpet and expensive wood table).

6. Buy chicken wings and buffalo sauce, fry chicken in the oil you're ineffectively removing heat from, and enjoy!

USAFRet

Titan

A typical CPU air cooler has more surface area on its fins than a fish tank. And it has a fan blowing across it to transfer that heat to the room volume.

"I think" "I believe"...both trumped by empirical data.

Here's an almost free test:
Get your tank.
Fill it with your chosen fluid.
Hang 4 or 5 100 watt incandescent lightbulbs in it.
Hang some kind of thermometer probe in the oil.
Turn them on.

Monitor the temp over time.
How fast it heats up, how slow it cools down, etc.
No sacrificing expensive PC parts.

Or, you could just wing it with your 2080ti based system.

Well if you wanna go with it then few things I recommend.

1. Forget about upgrading individual components in a year or as long as you use it and upgrade the entire system when you feel the requirement for upgrade.

2. If done properly and carefully there won't be a requirement to change oil just in a year. Can use it 2yr+ recommend not to open it or mess with it once done

3. Usage of pump and radiator is recommended to circulate and cool the oil as the high temperature fluctuations can easily crack the glass no matter how thick it is

4. Using a sponge mat to place it on(recommended) or atleast remove the carpet from around that the area. It is better to be prepared for the worst than be sorry.

Feb 19, 2019
Another question: Does the wifi and wireless stuff (internet, keyboard, mice and headset) gets affected by the oil!?

My current idea is just sink de mobo on oil, and use all on wireless. It would make my life easier. But Im afraid the oil could somewhat have a bad effect on the radio waves.

CodemasterJD

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
I'm interested in this to build a completely sealed, dust proof PC. Most of the objections in this thread aren't an issue; check out Puget systems:

https://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Three years without any ill effects, aside from a RAM sticker floating off. A good oil filter would probably fix any cloudyness.

For our PC, think Bonneville Salt Flats, or Burning man. Talcum powder like alkali dust.

== John ==

I'm interested in this to build a completely sealed, dust proof PC. Most of the objections in this thread aren't an issue; check out Puget systems:

Three years without any ill effects, aside from a RAM sticker floating off. A good oil filter would probably fix any cloudyness.

For our PC, think Bonneville Salt Flats, or Burning man. Talcum powder like alkali dust.

== John ==
Mineral oil PCs are neither sealed, nor dust proof.
You still have the external radiator and fan setup, extremely prone to dust buildup.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Part of the issue faced by both Linus and Puget was ports. Both have access to custom acrylic design/manufacturing facilities who can custom manufacture ports and seals for stuff like the power button, all the front inputs like USB and audio ports, what to do with the rear ports that'd normally populate the rear i/o shield, psu plug, gpu outlets etc. Anything that'd normally be exterior to a case. Monitors won't be wireless, even if the mouse and keyboard are.

DSzymborski

Titan

== John ==

"I'm sure I can jump off a building just fine, after all BASE jumpers do it all the time!"

The problem isn't the mineral build, it's the person/people asking about it. You don't see people asking for advice on how to perform heart surgery on internet forums because anyone who has the ability to do heart surgery doesn't need to ask random people on the internet about it.

Reactions: AllanGH