Mini build, need advice, Optiplex 755 DT

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Hello all and thank you for having me on your forum. I've recent bought a dell optiplex 755 desktop model. it came with 2gb ram and a 80gb hard drive(the name escapes me at the moment). I purposely bought it to have a dedicated desktop(pay bills, surf the web yada yada). Well i use to play counterstrike wayyyyy back before CS:Source. Well it wouldnt run it, stock, so the "mod" bug hit me. I'll post my "build" below, but for now i will continue to ramble on haha.

Heres my questions: I'm intrigued by running a SSD. Is it worth it? I would enjoy the super fast boot but i have my system on 15 min sleep, i just wanna walk away and if i dont come back it stops using 100% energy.

Dual monitors? I would love to run dual monitors, please see the Graphics card i have installed to see if its possible. My ideal setup would be a 2nd 23" monitor so i can keep up chrome and surf while playing. Simple....or is it?

PLEASE keep it simple i have no idea what all the accrynoms mean. BIOS? GPU? ppfff

Tower: Dell Optiplex 755. Paid: $45.00 Craigslist

Screen: Acer - H6 Series 23" IPS LED HD Monitor - Black - Model: H236HL BID.

Speakers:Insignia™ - Powered Computer Speakers with Subwoofer (3-Piece) - Black/Silver/Gray

Keyboard:Logitech - MK520 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo - Black

Mouse:Logitech - M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse - Gray/Blue

RAM Upgrade: PNY - Optima 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 DIMM Memory - Multi (3x)

Graphics Card Upgrade:nVIDIA GeForce GT 610 2GB PCI-Express 2.0 x16 DVI+HDMI Single Slot Low Profile Video Graphics Card

TOTAL: $507.72 AFTER TAX.

It now runs CS:S way better than i remember. Thats not what i'm asking. What other upgrades can i be looking forward to?

I'm playing with the idea of building my own from scratch but i'm not that hardcore into it. But then again i'm a car guy and i'd love to piece together my own setup and know whats going on with what all the time(if that makes any sense)

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That PC needs more RAM to be able to play most games today. 4GB minimum. The GT 610 is a weak card, but if you're happy with it, fine.
The desktop version of that PC will limit you to a low profile card:
JKpz5jV.jpg

If you had the tower, you could use any regular size card.
But the stock power supply (280W) with its 16 amp +12V rail will limit you to low end cards. Maybe a GT 730 max.
There's not much you can do to make a gamer out of it. Building your own would be recommended.

A ssd will make Win load quicker and programs load quicker. But it won't speed up games. Just the time it takes for them to load.

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Thank you for the answer, if you notice im running 3 2gb ddr2 sticks and a single 1gb stick for 7gb total.

Would it be worth it to upgrade the HDD? Obviously i have no need for a larger one but i also would like the space, if it matters i also have an external 2TB hdd hooked up via usb

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I was going to suggest getting a bigger HDD. 80GB today is INCREDIBLY small. Most folks start at 1TB and add as needed. But if your 2TB external drive is satisfactory, it can be overlooked.

Some cards allow use of both the HDMI (digital) and VGA (analog) outputs at the same time, some do not. You will have to determine that after getting the card.

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
I just figured that since the one inside the computer is an 80gb i could probably get a 500gb+ that has a higher rpm rating that would help speed things up a tad....or am i misinformed?

I'm just a newbie here.

How would i figure out which windows i'm running 32 or 64? I'm not sure where i can find that information on my system. From what i've read the 32bit will max out at 3-4gb RAM, therefore making my purchase of 8gbRAM a waste, where as a 64bit will take like 16gb+ RAM...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you're running Win 7, right-click on 'computer' and choose 'properties'. It will tell you under 'system' if it is 32 bit or 64 bit.
Yes, 32 bit OSs can only address 4 GB system memory. 64 bit versions of Win7 can address up to 192 GB system memory:
Starter: 8GB
Home Basic: 8GB
Home Premium: 16GB
Professional: 192GB
Enterprise: 192GB
Ultimate: 192GB

Not knowing the specs of your old 80GB drive, I would assume newer, larger drives would have faster access times, yes. Most desktop HDDs are 7200 RPM and have a 32 GB or 64GB cache at their disposal. Is your motherboard new enough to have SATA rather than PATA? It is getting hard to find older PATA drives now.
0UjXbDL.png

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Clutch i'm still running vista lol HOWEVER i read you specs in your signature and i think i'm ready to start a build...how does this look?

Seller digisuper (3734)
Pay only this seller
Request total from seller
More information
( R ) MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, Intel Z87 Socket 1150 Motherboard
( R ) MSI Z87-G45 GAMING, Intel Z87 Socket 1150 Motherboard
Condition: Manufacturer refurbished
Quantity:
$99.00

Cooler Master HAF 912 - High Air Flow Mid Tower Computer Case
Condition: New
Quantity:
$69.99

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
thats just for starters obviously i'd have to wait for each extra paycheck to piece it together but i'm mostly worried about the case and what will fit and also the motherboard and upgradiablility down the road. I can piece everything else but this is the start i need in my head.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That should be a good board for the price. And speaking of price, that is a good price. If you want to stay current, the Z97 has replaced the Z87 chipset for top of the line now. Btw... You realize, don't you, that the board will require a different processor than you have now and new DDR3 RAM as opposed to the DDR2 RAM you have now? Basically, you will be starting a modern build from scratch.

I've had this HAF 912 for years. Used it for a build long ago and got tired of it. Set it aside and went with other cases for a bit. But I finally went back to the old CM HAF 912 and forgot just what a well designed, well made case it really was. You won't be disappointed. It will take almost any CPU cooler and gfx card.

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Yea its not like i'm trashing this computer...I'll set it up for my girl to surf on...funny how that works right lol... but yea DDR2 is getting scarce to find locally and id much rather step into todays timeline...something in 2-3 years i can still mod.

I'm obviously learning and your actually helping me and not ridiculing me, I'm just getting my feet wet.

So should i spring for the Z97? i'm lookin at like 75+ extra for that? So i'm guessing Intel is better than AMD?

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Then comes my processor questions i5 or i7? As you can tell i know very little but i've read enough to know what i dont know lol

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For sure, it's better than an AMD build. For gaming anyway. But if the boards' cost is that much more, and price is an issue, stay with the Z87 and put the money towards something else. The SSD or a better gfx card. The only major difference between the Z87 and the Z97 is that the Z97 is ready for Broadwell. That's the next gen Intel processor line after Haswell, if you weren't familiar with the term.

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
Considering i already have the monitor and keyboard/mouse....what am i looking at for a pretty decent setup after the $180 for MB and Case? Can you list products and prices to get me into todays technology without breaking the bank?
I realize the processor will be the next big purchase but i need reassurance before i buy the 2 fundamentals... lol

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
I'm in no rush to piece this together, i'd rather collect parts and have a fun time setting it up then rushing it and half-assing it

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'd suggest the i5-4690K if you want to try your hand at OC'ing some day. The i5-4690 if not. You'll want as much gfx card as you can afford. And that will demand a powerful high quality PSU. Something 650W to 700W should handle just about any single GPU card you get.
Here is a hierarchy chart for gfx cards: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
Here is one for PSUs. Try to stay in tiers 1 -3: https://community.newegg.com/eggxpert/computer_hardware/f/135081/t/45344.aspx?Redirected=true

Zing87

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
So if you had to do it again, or recommend what i do myself, I'll need a Power Suppy. I'll need a Graphics card. I'll need a Processor. I'll need RAM. What am i looking at? Price wise

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Best thing to do, is go to partpicker.com and "build" one there. The website is designed for folks to use to come up with the best build for their budget. http://pcpartpicker.com/

Caramac

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I grabbed an Optiplex 755 Refurb for similar cost a while back .
E6550 C2D processor, 4GB DDR2, no graphics card & XP Pro as shipped.

As a ref since doing a new build anyways,
Max CPU for Q35 board, according to Intel not Dell:
Intel® Xeon® Processor 3000 Sequence
X3360 2.83 GHz 12 MB 1333 MHz
X3370 3.00 GHz 12 MB 1333 MHz

Intel® Core™2 Quad Desktop Processor
Q9650 3.00 GHz No 12 MB 1333 MH
spec - SLB8W