Mini DP to DVI, 6 monitors, 1 GC, only 2 displays work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonbond

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Hello, any help here would be greatly appreciated as I can't find any answers on Google.

I have 6 ASUS VE278Q Black 27" 1920x1080 2ms Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitors

I have 1 VisionTek 900373 Radeon HD 6870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity to support all 6 ASUS monitors

Not sure it matters but my this is my moterboard - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard.

I bought 6 StarTech 6 ft Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables to run this setup but only 2 of the monitors are showing?

The monitors have display port hookups but I figured mini displayport to DVI would work fine too. Am I wrong, does this need to be mini displayport to displayport on all 6 monitors to work?

Or maybe mini displayport to DVI on #1 and #2 and mini displayport to displayport on #'s 3,4,5 and 6?

I'd be really, really grateful for help here cause I can't find anything on Google about the topic.

Thanks,

Jason Bond

Solution
Are you 100% sure that your video card is going to power six 27" monitors? Every setup of multiple monitors that I have seen is with 23" or 24" monitors. You may need to have active display port cables and I would go with displayport to displayport.
"To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used)".
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx
Are you 100% sure that your video card is going to power six 27" monitors? Every setup of multiple monitors that I have seen is with 23" or 24" monitors. You may need to have active display port cables and I would go with displayport to displayport.
"To enable support for more than 2 monitors, “active” DisplayPort™ adapters/dongles are required (or monitors with direct DisplayPort™ connectivity must be used)".
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-dongles.aspx

Solution

jasonbond

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
Excellent! Inzone I really appreciate your help.

I had 1 mini display port > displayport cable here so I tried what the article said and so far it's working great...

monitor #1 - mdp to dvi
monitor #2 - mdp to dvi
monitor #3 - mdp to displayport

Nobody sells displayport cables locally so I'll have to order 3 more to test monitors #4,5 and 6.

So far this is showing excellent promise. I never saw that Eyefinity link before and it's very clear now what the issue is.

Can't thank you enough for pointing me in the right direction. Once I get the 3 display port cables in the mail next week I'll let you guys know if the following works:

monitor #1 - mdp to dvi
monitor #2 - mdp to dvi
montior #3,4,5 and 6 mdp to display port

Eventually I'll probably just go mdp to dp on all 6 monitors I guess, wish I bought those 6 cables to begin with, I bet it would have worked.

Thanks again inzone - made my day.

Jason Bond

Status
Not open for further replies.